You are not logged in.

• "Cham" started this thread

Date of registration: Nov 2nd 2014

Language Team: English Transcriber

Focus Group: English Transcriber

Sunday, November 2nd 2014, 1:52am

A interesting phonetic phenomenon

A interesting phonetic phenomenon

In IPA there are 3 phometics --[e] [æ ] [ai] ,which callled by chinese as 1 finger [ai] , 2 fingers [ai] , 3 fingers [ai] (some people thought like this)respectively;
for Chinese pinyin , only have 1 phometics [ai] , what is co-relations under this special phenomenon ?

let us look at the words -- bed and bad or said or sad

i designed a test for this to find the truth
you can download the test paper per the link :

www.generalpinyin.com/gp/download/homonym test.pdf or you can use the attachment below

I have done the test among the chinese people who think they can tell the difference among the phonetis of [e] [æ ] [ai] with a good english level .

the results is that the tester can tell the difference theoratically but during the talk they can not speak the diffference . such words , always are indentifed by context instead of pronouciation . for chinese , those words are homonym .

i will upload the test results to the links as for your reference :

if anyone interested , please do the test among the native speakers , to ensure the objectivity of test , do not tell the reader and tester the purpose of the test , just let them do it as usual ; it is simple that one person read , another people write down.

My gusess : for words like bed and bad or said and sad , for the philology, they are homonym , the spelling difference indicates the difference meaning , not defne the difference of sounds . this need further evidence .
Cham has attached the following files:

42 guests thanked already.
  • "Cham" started this thread

Date of registration: Nov 2nd 2014

Language Team: English Transcriber

Focus Group: English Transcriber

Monday, November 3rd 2014, 2:20pm

Does any one want to help ?

Does any one want to help ?

49 guests thanked already.

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017