You are not logged in.

• "Diana" is female

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 12:40am

somehow I'm changing my mind, but dunno why and what's better between the proposals :S :D
Ray, what about the technical stuffs Nattka brought out?

waiting to hear more thoughts from you all,
see ya :kiss:

1 registered user and 38 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 12:06pm

As for the technical stuff, this proposition comes pre-packaged with direct guidance from experienced Teamspeak server administrators from both the TVP & TZM TS servers. The most challenging part of running any kind of server-side program or site is in the initial proper set up and that will be handled by committee, with us learning all of our options along the entire 'ride'. :seymour:

Some food for thought to anyone reading this:
My own 'vision' of this is for all of us to use it for just about everything we can think of for our internal LTI needs (global, team, coordinator & development meetings, member mentoring on 'how to ...' topics, discussions to help with understandings - both of difficult materials being worked on as well as more rapid & targeted learning about various RBE concepts, teaching & learning various languages as teams continue to grow to sizes that can readily support that, linguistic 'voiced' tech support, sharing computer knowledge when someone has a problem i.e. computer tech support, group proofreading sessions, etc.). While at the same time, all of our teams develop what I'm calling a 'reach out' focus to connect as directly and solidly as possible to ALL related TZM Chapters & TVP Activism Teams that speak your language. With this kind of approach & commitment, we significantly increase our connection (and our apparent role as the strong, neutral bridge between the two web sites) with the rest of the RBE Community rather than reduce it, as some of you may fear.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

3 registered users and 38 guests thanked already.

michaelycus, laramide, giovanna marino

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 3:19pm

Wonderful discussion, guys!

The questions I have in my mind are not quite crystalized yet, but I want to ask one thing before anything else. If we are thinking long-term, shouldn't our focus be on Mumble?

2 registered users and 30 guests thanked already.

Ray, brunodc

• "Ray" is male

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 3:55pm

I would prefer that it be Mumble, but there are a few factors that initially get in the way.

First, the expertise that we have helping us knows Teamspeak, so it makes sense for us to learn that first and perhaps slide over to Mumble at some point later. Secondly, it will be very easy to supply a slightly expanded Teamspeak tutorial that shows everyone how to adjust their already installed client to ask you before it connects to any server, and then have it offer you the choice between the three. On the other hand, setting up a Mumble server would demand that everyone have two voice chat server clients installed concurrently in order to remain connected across the wide RBE landscape. Taken together, it would make more sense to me to start with TS, learn how to run it extremely well and then ask how everyone feels about possibly migrating over to the open source Mumble.

2 registered users and 32 guests thanked already.

brunodc, alberez

• "laramide" is male

Date of registration: Aug 31st 2011

Language Team: Latvian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Monday, January 23rd 2012, 9:41pm

Wow! I am so surprised sometimes about myself how easy it is to forget what kind of wonderful implications is holding opportunities of dareing.

;]
Signature from »laramide«
With sincere intentions. // Ar patiesiem nodomiem.

1 registered user and 36 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "alberez" is male

Date of registration: Nov 6th 2011

Language Team: Castillian Spanish

Translation Proofreader

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 5:22am

Well,
I guess that Ray has made his point. I second the motion.
We could also hold some specific meetings at the TZM or TVP servers in order to maintain our presence and/or coordinate/inform about the work in progress.

Greetings

P.S. WTH is Mumble? :huhwhat:
Signature from »alberez« "The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you, they are unique manifestations of the human spirit." - Wade Davis.

2 registered users and 31 guests thanked already.

Ray, laramide

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 1:13pm

Mumble is an open source alternative to Teamspeak or Ventrilo, another proprietary voice chat server option that the community used prior to the switch to Teamspeak.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mumble/

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

laramide

• "Ray" is male

Saturday, January 28th 2012, 9:19am

We need to hear from a LOT more of you wonderful folks on this topic before a decision can be arrived at. Like every other aspect of this RBE community, nothing can happen until YOU actually do something. :tonguer:

33 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: Oct 30th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:11pm

send emails!

Did you send an email to aaaaall members to tell them there is this thread about this topic?
;)

37 guests thanked already.
  • "yv6eda" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Spanish

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Monday, March 5th 2012, 7:09pm

Well, we have enough space on the current TZM server to grow and can't see the benefit to spend resources at this point in time. I can't see the benefits to change servers every week either.
We have no time to even think in separation...

32 guests thanked already.
  • "georgyvlad" is male

Date of registration: Jul 24th 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 5:12am

Hi folks,

I have a few reasons for staying on the TZM servers. First of all is continuity. I am tired of switching the supporting infrastructure, especially when it is not for a technical reason, i.e. the tools are functioning well. Second, it is for reasons of efficiency - unless the TZM server is overloaded, it is more efficient (and monetarily advantageous) to keep running on one server. Third, it seems the TZM server is more open - the login info is published openly. I remember I tried to join and check out a TVP seminar and it turned out I needed an individual account...

Sometimes being the first mover has its advantages - TZM discovered some tools and put them to use first, LTI found a home there, we don't have to move or keep switching just because VP decided to copy the tools and set up independent servers. I even think that VP could have kept using the TZM servers because I don't think anyone would have minded (but I could be wrong here)

So, I say, as long as we are allowed to use the TZM servers, even for VP activity, we keep using them.

Georgy.

30 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion