You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, April 27th 2013, 10:45pm

Proofreading directly on an online shared diff tool?

This example of diff, if we could easily upload 3 SRTs, 1 from the unproofread translation, 1 from the proofread translation and 1 from the English transcript, so it has the appearance like in this link:http://www.diffchecker.com/jg1kdnu2 it would be a great "proofreading in group tool" if some editing on the text could be done directly in that link that could be shared between translators.
Is that possible to create?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 40 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna, Yayita

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 8:08am

2 registered users and 42 guests thanked already.

kassy, Yayita

Public Relations Group

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 11:26am

Nice one!! yuhuu!! :dance:
Ok, here goes some considerations, wondering how much can we stretch this :eyeroll:
- I selected to show the lines that present no changes, but those lines don't appear. I tried it without and with the English, selecting and unselecting both check boxes. The rest seems to be functioning well ;)
- Is it possible that the diff be saved with an online link, even that temporary, so we can share the results with others without them having to repeat the process?
- Once I synchronized a translation using Winmerge in compare mode with the English and the Portuguese SRTs one in each side. I edited the text right there and then saved it. Do you think we could have the possibility of editing the SRTs here too? It would be a great proofreading tool if so ^^

Let me know when this is ready to be shared :D
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 43 guests thanked already.

kassy

• "kassy" is female

Date of registration: Mar 30th 2013

Language Team: Portuguese

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader

Sunday, April 28th 2013, 12:32pm

Excellent tool, Bruno. :clap:
I really like the way it organazes the 3 text files, making it easier to see each line separately and identifying the changes made from one version into the other. :)

Since I got used to using the diffchecker tool, I find the sugestions made by nomada very usefull, since diffchecker generates a file that can be copied and linked to other team members who might want to check out the changes that have been made.

Having the whole text with the lines that haven´t been change is very helpull in order to be able to read longer sentences that are divided in diferent lines.

Hope this can be improved with those features. :idolize:

37 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Monday, April 29th 2013, 4:13pm

Thanks for the input you guys, we're on the same page when it comes to where this little app needs to go, I think it'll be nice to be able to come back to the diff and make changes.

I totally had that in mind too, but that will take some more serious development, even though it's totally doable and not that long to do.

About the "seeing all the lines" suggestion, if you click on the logo, a little bar will appear that will allow you to choose what kind of strings you'll want to see on screen. The interface is very much in its infancy and not very intuitive (I hate to do interfaces, and not very good at it!)

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

kassy

Public Relations Group

Monday, April 29th 2013, 8:25pm

Wonderful!! : ) I guess we can start using this and share it? Just to be sure? I think I might not use it much until you can develop it a bit more, since one of the things that really help in the diff checker online tool is exactly to have a link to share. Many people don't check the differences if they have to do the whole process. To share a link of a diff with all the differences highlighted is already ignored by many since they don't realize yet the advantages of checking and learning with the changes applied by others. They just care that the proofreadinng round is done and that is what is important or they simply "don't have time". But with that ability of sharing the link, the presentation of the strings is much more pleasant then the one in diffchecker.

Let us know, Bruno, when you have some news and if we can use and share what we have here already? :)

hugs

40 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion