You are not logged in.

• "Eric" started this thread

Date of registration: Oct 21st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator

Friday, October 21st 2011, 6:03pm

In The Videos, We Must Not Use The Strings Of Two Seconds

I have noticed that there is a big problem with the timing of the videos. We must not insert into the videos intervals of two seconds. It is too short. Your approach of the timing is anglo-centric. You forget that the other languages are not as efficient, terse as english. As for me, I have trouble to shove my french translations into the videos owing to the intervals of two seconds.

Therefore, I would like you to permit me to modify the timing of the following videos :

- The first interview that PJ gave to RT : http://dotsub.com/view/29026f91-2ab3-4805-9c47-3a33fc783b09

This video is littered with intervals of two seconds.

- "Zeitgeist Moving Forward press conference" : http://dotsub.com/view/53789074-db73-4475-9cbc-3aa55c706c87

In this videos there are even intervals of one second ! :

05:43 : "will have to step back and say "OK" "

O7:27 : "and everyone slowly accepts it and eventually"

Perhaps there are other intervals of one second in this video. I have started to insert my french translation in this video (15 %).

32 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Friday, October 21st 2011, 9:41pm

Hey,

If you modify the timings to correspond to the specificities of the French language, that means all other languages will be compromised. The problem is that we cannot change the timings just for one language. All translations use the same set of timings.

Do you have a proposal for the guidelines from which all languages would be able to benefit? If so, please share it. :) But if you have only French in mind, that's not really fair to everyone else.

Another way is to work on the French subtitles only and make the timings specific to French. The problem with that is that your translation won't be able to fit into dotsub anymore, but you'll still have other mediums such as youtube.

30 guests thanked already.
  • "Eric" started this thread

Date of registration: Oct 21st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 8:32am

Lizardman, I have written this : "You forget that the other languages are not as efficient, terse as english."

In other words, I don't think about french only. As for me, the ideal timing is a timing where there are strings of three seconds and of four seconds, and a few strings of five seconds.

Owing to the strings of two seconds, I am compelled to insert a part of a translation above or under the right string.

28 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, October 22nd 2011, 11:32am

Hi fellows :smiley: !
Thank you for bringing these points up Eric. It moves us into a good opportunity to make them clearer to everyone who is not aware of the details of our approaches, the guidelines and the discussions in the meeting recordings that lead to this collective effort.
"I have noticed that there is a big problem with the timing of the videos. We must not insert into the videos intervals of two seconds. It is too short. Your approach of the timing is anglo-centric"

Some points in the guidelines were created exactly with a concern for the other languages. And the whole guidelines development during the LT Meetings included all the members from all languages who were present in those meetings. And that multi-language effort was the most important point in the resulting guidelines of today. Guidelines are a constantly developing part of the LTI as we improve our tools and approaches. I suggest that everyone with doubts on these points and willing to improve the overall process, take a look at them before bringing them up with suggestions, like Eric did. The hardest thing is too imrpove or solve anything when no one makes questions or suggests solutions :seymour: . And this feedback of your is already being very positive! Thank you Eric!!

"n this videos there are even intervals of one second ! :
05:43 : "will have to step back and say "OK" "
O7:27 : "and everyone slowly accepts it and eventually"

As for me, the ideal timing is a timing where there are strings of three seconds and of four seconds, and a few strings of five seconds."

These examples were the best thing you could have brought Eric. Most of the times we discuss a subject and forget to bring up physical referents that are essential for our analysis :thumbup:
So that the transcriber, or later the timeshifter while proofreading the strings structure built by the transcriber, can expand the display time of a string, there must be "space" - by space I mean no transcribed content, like when no one is talking in the video - before or after the string. In these examples there isn't any space there. And that is a limitation that has an external cause. By external I mean, it is out of our reach or it can be only in our imagination to prevent it by, for example, injecting an anesthetic into PJ's jaws so he could speak slower :drool: But the understanding of the content would be highly compromised :D . By the way, every new video where PJ is talking he is having big improvements on this. Way to go Pete!!
Here are the strings, so we can have a better perception of the limitations:
00:05:39,581 --> 00:05:43,117 and eventually those status quo institutions
00:05:43,398 --> 00:05:45,469 will have to step back and say "OK
00:05:45,607 --> 00:05:49,035 we can no longer ignore this gigantic, global movement."

00:07:24,620 --> 00:07:26,992 And then generation after generation more "that's the way it is"
00:07:27,130 --> 00:07:28,884 and everyone slowly accepts it and eventually
00:07:29,015 --> 00:07:33,340 you have four or five, six billion people, many decades from now, starving

And this brings us to the most important focus: the variables that are not external, meaning, that we can have an influence on them in order to improve our results:

1) The guidelines

2) The translation of the meaning of the speech in the video.
The translation of the meaning, by it self, as opposite to the literal translation of the speech, gives the translator some "space" to adapt the translation as much as possible to the cultural specifics of that language and the locations where it is spoken, towards the goal of its understanding by the viewers from that language. And that is our most precious "tool" to be able to solve the situation of:

Quoted

I have trouble to shove my (whatever) translations into the videos owing to the intervals of two seconds
Actually, it is the only one solution and the quality and clarity of the message depends on your most important task - translators - until the moment, since 1) the transcription of the English has to be the closest possible to what was said in order for every translation to be able to be coherent with each others, and 2) since we are still studying the possibility of using software that could slightly slow down the reproduction of the video in critical moments of fast speech, like when Peter Joseph becomes emotive. :cheer: (I don't blame him. I love the cause too and am still learning how to be rational and not emotive on it :laughing: )
The LT Tech team could need some volunteers, as we are in the subject :help:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/linguistictechteam/

Hope I have been of help!
Hope also to see many of us in the meeting tonight so we can all give our best contribute into improving all these situations :peace:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nomada" (Oct 22nd 2011, 11:48am)

34 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion