Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Friday, November 11th 2011, 6:06am

Attention All Teams: Copyright Issues related to YouTube uploads

Dear LTI members,

Over the past few months, we have been able to accumulate experience in regards to video publishing and content management on YouTube, along with copyright infringements that might result from the uploading of some of the materials we have transcribed and translated.
This thread is meant to inform you of those bits of wisdom and will hopefully shed some light on some of the choices we made when it comes to publishing those contents. We've summed up the contents that might be flagged or taken down by YouTube on the following table, as well as the materials for which we haven't received clearance from its owners (yet), which we advise not to upload until the situation is clarified.

Name Repository Link Reason it might be flagged
or reason why we don't upload it
Verdict
Religion Repo Contains a song which is protected by copyright (owner : SME). The video will be blocked in Germany. YouTube will flag it, but no action is required from the uploader. OK
for upload.
Jacque Fresco's New Zealand Television Full Interview, April 2010
Jacque Fresco's New Zealand Television Interview, April 2010
Full
Partial
It is a TV broadcast owned by TVNZ. The video is viewable worldwide. YouTube will flag it, but no action is required from the uploader. OK
for upload.
RSA Animate videos Capitalism
Motivation
Empathy
We haven't been able to establish a contact with the folks at RSA. We won't upload those videos until we hear back from them and have their clearance for publication. NOT OK
for upload
Jacque Fresco's full interview with Larry King, 1974 Repo TVP shares the copyright with Gazecki and we've received permission to make videos out of the version of this interview that can be found on the Future By Design DVD OK
for upload
Future By Design Repo Permission from William Gazecki pending. Youtube will flag this video, the third party content holder is GoDigital NOT OK
for upload
Psywar Repo Permission obtained from Scott Noble. YouTube will flag it because of a couple songs (copyrights held by SME and The Orchard Music). The video will be blocked in Germany. No action is required from the uploader. OK
for upload
Zeitgeist movies featured in "Il Senso della Vita" Repo It is a TV broadcast whose rights are held by R.T.I. The content won't be flagged by YouTube, but R.T.I will ask YouTube to take it down, and uploaders will lose their unlimited upload rights. NOT OK
for upload
J. Fresco and R. Meadows on "On The Edge, with Theo Chalmers" Repo Information pending from Roxanne. NOT OK
for upload
300 Years of FOSSIL FUELS in 300 Seconds Repo The author of the content allowed us to translate the video, but not to republish it. NOT OK
for upload
Amazing Speech By War Veteran Repo YouTube will flag it, but no action is required from the uploader. There's a song in the video which is bound by copyright to an entity called "Believe". OK
for upload
It's time to change series Repo YouTube will flag it, but no action is required from the uploader. Please note that those videos will be flagged for third party content for multiple holders and they might be blocked in several counties. OK
for upload

NOTE: as you might have noticed from this table, some videos might be blocked for silly reasons, like a song which is bound by copyrights. We have to study the possibility of removing (muting, cropping out) those sections to get rid of those "third-party content" warnings. If you're interested in investigating it further, please get in touch with the PR Group. To report any issues or consult its solutions in detail, click on the projects name in the first column of the table or go to the sub-forum "Media Copyright Issues&Soluions".

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "nomada" (Jun 3rd 2012, 11:25pm)

3 registered users and 35 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ana, FrankySnatra, Diana

• "sydstf" is male

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2011

Language Team: Chinese

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Saturday, November 12th 2011, 11:36am

Hey, as for this film:

"300 Years of FOSSIL FUELS in 300 Seconds"
"The author of the content allowed us to translate the video, but not to republish it."

But I can repbublish it, just see their links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-J91SwP8w

You can scroll down and find both Chinese Traditional and Simplified where the Chinese Traditional one is exactly my Youtube channel. Actually, it's because I indeed wrote them a letter in person to ask for permission, and they agreed before. I remember I also gave them my subtitle files in .ass format containing both Chinese and English.

42 guests thanked already.
  • "sydstf" is male

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2011

Language Team: Chinese

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Saturday, November 12th 2011, 11:45am

Another one is this:

"RSA Animate videos"
"We haven't been able to establish a contact with the folks at RSA. We won't upload those videos until we hear back from them and have their clearance for publication. NOT OK for upload"

Actually, I also personally asked for their permission and also sent them my Chinese subtitles in .ass format to them. They replied to me that as long as I state clearly the original links and mark their partner http://cognitivemedia.co.uk/, then they have no opinions. I had several mail contacts with them before, but as you said, you had better make certain. At least on my Youtube channel, I didn't receive the "third party" warning from the beginning to the end during the whole uploading process.

1 registered user and 39 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Yayita

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion