Language Team: English, French

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 3:39pm

Changing Language Team

I have been doing translation (English to French), and also Bilingual Proofreading, and I would like to change for a while and also do Transcriptions (English to English), since I read that you are in need of transcribers at the moment. Can I just start working on an open transcription, or do I need to do something else "officially" before ?

2 registered users and 55 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, brunodc

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 3:45pm

You can start with any project and learn as you go, Marlyse, but the very first thing you need to do is to read the following pages:

- The Linguistic team transcription guidelines, which you need to follow as closely as possible when transcribing,

- The English language guidelines, which the English Department uses to create uniform transcriptions regardless of who does what during the process.

We're here if you have any questions.

1 registered user and 52 guests thanked already.

MarlysePi

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 3:48pm

One important thing I didn't mention, once you've chosen the project you'd like to work on, please post in the relevant forum thread to inform the rest of the team.

You can find a summary table of all projects open for transcription here, under the "English Transcription" tab

Also, you can use a notepad that we open for each transcription project to write down any doubts or comments about your transcription.

1 registered user and 51 guests thanked already.

MarlysePi

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, May 16th 2012, 4:07pm

Hi Marlyse!! :smiley:

Yeah. Sure, you can start right away. This is the procedure:
  1. Watch this tutorial on how to transcribe on dotsub (in case you transcribe online, some of uslearned other tools in order to transcribe offline, but if you are a beginner or just want a temporary change on what you were doing before, start with dotsub)
  2. Check the 2 topics of the guidelines called Key Actors and General Guidelines + the String Division Guidelines . There aren't many guidelines but they are very important for the suitability of the transcription for all translations that will have to fit the same space/time subtitle strings. Everything will make sense soon and you might enjoy the text/space/time/sound+video synch puzzle that results in harmony to our senses. I am in-love with this task :idolize:
  3. Go to this wiki page and open the tab "English Transcription" in the table. Choose a video and verify if someone is already working in it (column 5th column). You might want to join them or choose another project. Click on the forum thread link (4th column) and post there saying you will start transcribing that project. Post also if you have to quit, for some reason, when you are done with it or when you have questions or anything to share.
  4. You have a Notes pad for any issues you feel reporting will help the proofreaders coming after you're done. The Working Location is in the last column. Login on dotsub and click transcribe. That's it, I think :seymour:
Most important of all, have fun!! nothing is for tomorrow and no need to say that you can always quit if you miss the English to French challenge more. hehe :love:
Super hugs!!
nomada
PS - @brunodc: I am gaining some pieces on the chess board. You are distracted :tonguer:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 50 guests thanked already.

brunodc

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion