• "Di Anna" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, August 23rd 2011, 12:50am

English Glossary Help!

Hello to all you Glossarians on the LT!
Sir Bruno and I are continuing to work on adding the definitions for the terms on the spreadsheet. I was hoping someone on our team would give input (or suggestions) for clear, concise definitions of Professor McMurtry's terms "Life Sequence of Value" and "life ground". I have researched these and my problem is creating a brief, concise definition. Every source I've found is detailed and LONG !

Also, it would be great if others would weigh in on some of the really important terms on the spreadsheet, like The Venus Project and The Zeitgeist Movement. The spreadsheet is open to all via the forum. This is an important tool, and we would really appreciate any help we can get to complete it!

((hugs)) to the most wonderful folks I know....
Lady Di :)

LINK TO THE SPREADSHEET
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

55 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 12:20pm

Hi Di Anna,

I found this definition (source) :

Life sequence of value - The process whereby any body of life becomes more life by means of life: a process which admits of regressive, reproductive and progressive modes and degrees, each measurable by the criteria of more/less fields of life enabled or enjoyed through time.

And for a better understanding of both Money and Life Sequence of Value, translators can check this one: http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Econ/EconMcMu.htm

And for life-ground I found this pdf (it cites McMurtry's "Unequal Freedoms", but the latter is incomplete in Google Books, so I couldn't verify), which gives the following definition:

Life-ground - The total set of conditions upon which the existence and living things depends.

The definition of Money Sequence of Value can be altered a little, I think (source ):

Money sequence of value - Using anything whatever as means (including money derivatives) to turn private money sums into greater quantities in reiterated choice paths of money-value-adding which adopt myriad transnational forms as “globalization”.

I hope this helps.
Hugs!

45 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 6:30pm

Oh, yes, Lizzie! What a BIG help! Those are such important concepts and I was struggling. ?( Well, perhaps I just hadn't researched enough. ;) Truth is, I really didn't want to tackle it ALONE! ;)

I have posted your input in the English Glossary Spreadsheet!

With ((hugs)) and kisses too!
Lady Di :love:
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

78 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 10:01pm

Hi,

I was searching for a definition of "life coordinates" (another term used by McMurtry) today, but with no success. However, I found a page that gives a clue on what is meant by that. Here's what it says there:

The Basic Well-being Index (BWI): In contrast, a Basic Well-being Index (BWI) would focus on basic, minimum life coordinates for assessing life conditions. It would include:

1. Air quality.
2. Access to clean water.
3. Sufficient nourishing food.
4. Security of habitable housing.
5. Opportunity to perform meaningful service or work of value to others.
6. Available learning opportunity to the level of qualification.
7. Health care when ill.
8. Temporally and physically available healthy environmental space for leisure, social interaction and recreation.

This set of vital life conditions reflects the true measure of the economic performance of a society. An economy succeeds or fails in the extent to which it provides its members severally and a whole, with these means of life.

1 registered user and 48 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Wednesday, June 20th 2012, 3:48pm

Interesting find, Lizzie. I took a look at the author's bio. She is a physician and researcher. Here's what she says about herself and her work:

My research on why people kill each other started as a seven-year old girl, in a cellar, in Belgium, waiting for the next bomb to fall on her. This was World War II, and the bombs were alternatively German and Allied. The research was put on hold while, after the War, I emigrated with my family to Canada. In the United States, I became a physician, and practiced consecutively two specialties – public health in Puerto Rico, Peru and Chile, and child psychiatry in the United States (North Carolina and North Dakota) and New Zealand. Once I retired, the research continued full time, and these writings are the result. Unfortunately, the question, “Why do people kill each other?” must now be modernized to “Why do people kill life on the planet, both human and environmental?” There is, of course, not one answer, but these writings offer hints and directions as to where the answers might be found.

In a sad way, these writings also carry my apologies to future generations whose experience of living will be diminished because of our present massively destructive and irreversible actions. There is no forgiving for not considering our relationship to the planet as one of usufruct – the opportunity to use, enjoy and care for what is not our own, with the accompanying duty to leave it in even better than its original conditions

I notice that she sources McMurtry in her long list of references. I think this is excellent and a good addition to the Glossary. I'll be glad to add it as a definition and explanation of 'life coordinates' if others agree it will help explain and help in translations.

((hugs))
Di

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Borislav/lizardman

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion