• "kjhalleni" is male
  • "kjhalleni" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 21st 2013

Language Team: Swedish

Focus Group: Translator

Sunday, July 21st 2013, 5:24pm

Introduction Kalle - Swedish translation team

Hi,

I'm part of the Swedish translator team. We're currently only three and I had hope to get in touch with the other two guys via this forum but they seem not to be hear yet. Am very anxious to get the book translated since the script/content of it is priceless :). I'll do what I can to help in any way I can, even though I'm an amateur.

Do any of you know if TVP has ever tried to use any crowdfunding to get professional translation of the book? From my point of view the book is very well written in English, and the TVP web site is also very well designed, as well as the videos and so on. To maintain the professional impression of TVP it is my belief the translations to additional languages need to be as good as the original. In other words, it is better not to release the book if it is not professionally translated, cause it then might do more harm than good.

I'm trying to get at least one professional translator involved for the translation into Swedish by sending 170 of them an e-mail, but it seem, so far, hard to get one for free (even though some became interested in TVP). So I began thinking of funding options and found these crowdfunding sites (see further down). If you like the idea I guess it is best if the project ask for funding to cover for the languages needed, instead of me asking to fund just the Swedish translation.

Any comments are more than welcome. :smiley:

www.kickstarter.com
www.indiegogo.com

http://invested.in

Hugs to all :bighug:
Karl =)

43 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Sunday, July 21st 2013, 7:31pm

Hi Karl,

Welcome!

I so much agree with you, we need all the translations to be of highest quality, otherwise we might even do more harm than good! What this means to me is that the translation needs to present the full content of the original, while transmitting it to the intended language. Not an easy task!

How wonderful your initiative to contact professional translators is! These folks might offer great amounts of experience to our volunteer translation efforts. But the solution we are looking for might not be so simple. Because even if one is very experienced in general language usage, that doesn't make him/her experienced in a given field/subject (like psychology, anthropology, scientific concepts and methodology, etc.). If you don't have a good grasp of what an RBE is and its various elements, the way of thinking behind it, etc., you are probably going to have a hard time understanding a lot of content pertaining to this social system.

The only solution, I have found, is you yourself to study deeply what RBE constitutes of, become very familiar with the concepts, and along with that increase your linguistic skills so that you can understand and transmit better the language. In other words, we might need to home-grow a lot of skills that are needed before you can really contribute to establishing this new society. Getting professionals involved is surely a great help, but the 'answer' might not be as simple as relying on someone who is considered in our current society as having the knowledge and skills to solve problems in a given area.

2 registered users and 43 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, kjhalleni

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, July 21st 2013, 11:57pm

Wow! This is an inspiring thread!! 8o

I'm trying to get at least one professional translator involved for the translation into Swedish by sending 170 of them an e-mail

That is a GREEEAT initiative!! We could all apply some efforts spreading about TVP and direct those promotions to groups like that: professional translators :thumbup:

There are some professional translators in the LTI and they do make a huge difference. Sometimes 3 rounds of proofreading don't achieve the quality of a language teacher or a pro translator.
When we don't have them to proofread translations, we will have to do with what we have: careful proofreading, again and again, until we are satisfied with the results. No bad translation done fast will be beneficial in any way, and it might even be worst, because of all the people that will not understand or be interested in the subject because of that and will talk negatively to their friends about it.

How did you find the contacts of the translators, Karl? Maybe I could use the same strategy for Portuguese ^^

Kram
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

39 guests thanked already.
  • "kjhalleni" is male
  • "kjhalleni" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 21st 2013

Language Team: Swedish

Focus Group: Translator

Monday, July 22nd 2013, 10:11pm

Thanks lizardman for a very good post with interesting input! Am quite well familiar with the RBE concepts myself but will continue to study more deeply for sure, and I agree, it does help a lot during translation.

Hey Nomada, glad you liked the initiative, I do hope we'll benefit from it. I did nothing fancy, just googled for translator association/society and sent them all an e-mail briefly introducing TVP and the book. All of them replied they did not do non-profit translations, but one said I could contact their translators myself and so I did since they were all listen on their web site :-)

Abraço

2 registered users and 41 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Borislav/lizardman