You are not logged in.

• "kiribati_supporter4" started this thread

Date of registration: Aug 11th 2015

Language Team: Kiribati

Focus Group: Translator

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, 2:44am

New member, Mr. Kaewaniti from Kiribati

Hello everyone, I am from a small Pacific nation in the Central Pacific Region called Kiribati.

I support most of the zeitgeist views and/or ideas and I would like to help in translating the zeitgeist movement pdf into the Kiribati language.
Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from whomever my message may concern.

3 registered users and 46 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

FrankySnatra, zedom, Ray

Date of registration: Nov 24th 2011

Language Team: German

Tuesday, August 11th 2015, 11:18am

Hi, Mr. Kaewaniti, feel welcomed.

our working platform is supporting Kiribati (Gilbertese) so with which project or video do you like to start a translation?
I'll help you getting some orientation here.

Greetings and hugs :wave:

1 registered user and 51 guests thanked already.

Ray

Wednesday, August 12th 2015, 10:31pm

Hello and thank you FrankySnatra and your team members for your greetings.

I would like to help in translating the text entitled "The zeitgeist movement defined" pdf but I don't know where to find the videos that you speak of.

Can you please provide a link to those videos and also explain if there are other things that need to be translated into the Kiribati or Gilbertese language?

Thank you once more.

2 registered users and 41 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra, Ray

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Thursday, August 13th 2015, 9:58pm

Welcome Mr. Kaewaniti,
It's wonderful to have you here, and please feel free to ask about anything at all. We are here to help.

I am the global administrator for LTI and I need some important information about your language in order to add support for it in our system.
The first concern has to do with the number of plurals that Kiribati/Gilbertese supports. English, for example, has two possible plural states for the objects that appear within sentences; singular for '1' (e.g. I have one apple) and then plural for everything else, including zero (e.g. I have no apples/I have seven apples). Can you tell me how many plural states exist for your language?

I'm aware that there are no 'special' characters for Kiribati/Gilbertese, so the only other question (about the plural equation) may be answered by the answer to the question above - so I will wait to see if the one answer takes care of everything needed to set up the language. ;)

I'm really glad you're here, my friend. Please make yourself comfortable and have a good look around the place while I prepare the tools for your use.
Ray
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

2 registered users and 44 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra, kiribati_supporter4

Monday, August 17th 2015, 12:00am

Hello Ray.

In the Kiribati language, there is no plural states for nouns. The name or form of the noun in Kiribati stays the same regardless of its amount or number. For example translating "I have one apple" in Kiribati is "Iai teuana au aboro", "aboro" is the kiribati translation of apple and for " I have seven apples/I have no apples) the noun "aboro" remain the same such as "iai itiua au aboro/akea au aboro.

I hope that helps clarify your queries.

Thank you again for your reply and I am honored to meet you on your website.

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Monday, August 17th 2015, 1:32am

Ah, then are there plural states applied to other parts of speech when referencing different amounts within a statement?
Looking over your translations of my examples does not make it fully clear.

"Iai teuana au aboro", where teuana is presumed to mean one
"iai itiua au aboro", where itiua is presumed to mean ??? (more than one?)
"akea au aboro", where akea is presumed to mean none

If plurals are handled strictly by the words highlighted/presumed above, then the number of plurals for Kiribati would be 1, and the plural equation I mentioned in a previous reply would be 0.

I have tentatively set up Kiribati within Pootle using the above info (Number of Plurals = 1 | Plural equation = 0), so you are now clear to register and then, in your profile's Settings tab, select Gilbertese/Kiribati and whatever translation projects interest you. Once selected and Saved, I will receive notice from Pootle to complete your set-up there.

I have also created a new Gilbertese/Kiribati Team section within the LTI Forums. you are already registered there, so I suggest that you post an 'Introduction' of yourself within the appropriate sub-board, so that any other Kiribati multi-linguists will see that the language is now active'. ;)

There are a good number of projects available for you to play with, not only in Pootle, but also videos. You can see what is available by surfing around the Open for Translation section of the forum. When you find something that you'd like to start with, let me know and I'll gladly help guide you into that project. I do suggest that you start with something small, to allow yourself a more 'gentle' acclimation to the appropriate tool for that project.

And, of course, we are all here to support each other, so please do not hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind.

Edit: I noticed that you've already selected your language and a project in Pootle, so I've already set you up there. I'm also glad that you are working through the tutorial and hope that you're enjoying the experience.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ray" (Aug 17th 2015, 2:02am)

42 guests thanked already.

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 2:53am

The answer to your first question is YES. There are plural states applied to other parts of speech when referring to different amounts.

your assumption is correct teuana means one. However, itiua means seven and akea means both none or zero.

I'll try to finish the TZM Defined pdf first then I'll move on to other texts and videos after that.

Thank you so much for your help to the Kiribati people on your linguistic team website. I am sure more I-Kiribati will come and help in translating the various texts and videos in the cause of the zeitgeist movement.

Last thing to ask for your favour, where is the place to discuss views or ideas presented in the TZM Defined pdf???
Thank you again for your help

1 registered user and 42 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 9:59am

The most appropriate place for discussing the TZM Defined contents is the TZM Forums, which is separate from the one you're currently in.

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

kiribati_supporter4

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion