You are not logged in.

• "angela1975" started this thread

Date of registration: Aug 27th 2016

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber

Saturday, August 27th 2016, 12:29am

Hello!

Hi!

I would like to help with English transcription! Who could I contact to find out how to get started? I have some experience doing transcription from some time ago when I was assisting with research about how children learn scientific concepts. Conversations with students were recorded, and I transcribed those conversations. I also have some experience writing and proofreading letters at a previous job.

Thank you!

Angela

25 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: Jul 11th 2013

Language Team: Portuguese (Europe)

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Team Assistant

Saturday, August 27th 2016, 10:05pm

Hello Angela, welcome aboard!

I Think @Mr_Z: will be able to assist you.

Cheers!

28 guests thanked already.
  • "Mr_Z" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, August 28th 2016, 8:23pm

Greetings Angela! And welcome to the family.

Yes, a good transcript is the foundation to a well-captioned video. So if we are really lucky, we get the original transcript from the actual speaker, but this is the exception. If not available, what I personally do is to work from youtube auto-translations as a base. Typically every YT vid has such auto-genned captions (seen by clicking the 'CC' button), and the clearer the speaker is with his/her English, the better the quality, albeit without sentence breaks (periods), punctuation and capitalization.

Anyway, from here, I use a free web tool like downsub.com to pull the captions down into an SRT file on my local computer. Now some people might just massage the existing subs from there but I prefer to completely strip the subtitles and just render the underlying text into say a working Word document. It is here I go thru line by line and render the actual transcript, adding sentence breaks, punctuation and caps, and this is of course on top of fixing all the original auto-translator mistakes. Once complete, I now have a clean working transcript from which I can cut-paste the captions back into the vid following the LTI Guidelines and using my caption editing tool (my personal preference is Aegisub).

Finally, if the captions are NOT auto-genned by YouTube (no CC button), I've found that by downloading a copy of the vid using a tool like savefrom.net, then loading it back into youtube into my own personal channel, it usually triggers the auto-gen on this second copy within 15~30 minutes.

So, hopefully this all makes sense.

Sincerely

David aka Mr_Z
Signature from »Mr_Z« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

27 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion