Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Wednesday, September 14th 2011, 9:40pm

Zeitgeist: Addendum

A misunderstanding in Addendum:
06:45 06:49
[ None are more hopelessly enslaved
06:49 06:52
than those who falsely believe they are free. ]
Why are we using square brackets here? The text is on the screen, so I don't see the need for them here.
07:26 07:29
It then precedes to describe this fractional reserve process
It's not precedes, it's proceeds!
I've corrected this one.
VP hugs
:D

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, October 20th 2011, 4:51pm

I agree with Vixi on the brackets thing, so I took the liberty of replacing the brackets by double quotes on the WL and the repo location.

Ray

• "brunodc" is male

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, November 8th 2011, 7:57pm

I noticed at 53:35 that PJ says "exploitative" but we wrote down "exploited".

Quoted

Or that generates built-in modes of social operation which are inherently exploited?

1 registered user and 48 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "brunodc" is male

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Friday, November 25th 2011, 9:43am

I went in and corrected the error above plus 4 "its'" instead of "it's" (!!!!)

1 registered user and 46 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Sue" is female
  • "Sue" started this thread

Date of registration: May 26th 2011

Language Team: Spanish

Friday, November 25th 2011, 1:35pm

Important error in Addendum Transcription.

IMPORTANT ERROR in the ADDENDUM transcription. At minute 1:45:54 the transcription, which is being copied from a Carl Sagan text on the screen, had the words "We speak for earth" in it. When you read the text on the screen, these words do not appear. So, I've eliminated them. All the languages that have translated Addendum need to check that moment to see if they need to edit or not. Anyway, the transcription is closed now and the video is now ready for translating again.
VP Hugs
:D

Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2011

Language Team: Chinese

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 5:03pm

Hi, sorry to bother you, but I have a small requests. That's is, could you please say clearly which timestamp you've corrected and which place you've corrected? I know it may sound difficult, but actually we Chinese team are going to release the formal Chinese version at the end of this year...

However, the current Repository version we use dates back to 7/7/2011, so I'm afraid there may be a lot of corrections and modifications afterward this date, but we also don't want to copy and paste or check the whole Chinese translations again because it'll be another huge task along with small changes every time.

Therefore, I want to ask if it's possible to gather a historical record of corrections after this date(7/7)? Otherwise, every time the English repository is corrected in the future, I'm afraid I will miss the parts changed. Does anyone have a better idea?

Thank you for your consideration in advance~!

1 registered user and 50 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 7:16pm

Hi Albert! :smiley:
Did you by any chance saved the English SRT by then? If so, with a diff tool you could check the diferences between the 7/7 SRT and the one in the repository today. hope so, otherwise I am not seing how can we check a record of everything that was changed. Probably not everything was posted in the forum and so :nervous:

Anyone else has any idea on this?

maybe in the future we can consider upload a copy of the SRT in cause to the forum thread before we change it? that could result in lots of uploads sometimes, though :tonguer:

hugs,
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Monday, November 28th 2011, 12:21am

Hi Albert! :smiley:
Did you by any chance saved the English SRT by then? If so, with a diff tool you could check the diferences between the 7/7 SRT and the one in the repository today. hope so, otherwise I am not seing how can we check a record of everything that was changed. Probably not everything was posted in the forum and so :nervous:

Anyone else has any idea on this?

maybe in the future we can consider upload a copy of the SRT in cause to the forum thread before we change it? that could result in lots of uploads sometimes, though :tonguer:

hugs,

Hi, Dear Rodrigo,

Yes, we've saved the 7/7 version of English .SRT files. I now use Aegisub and use .ASS format, but I can export it back to .SRT format again, no problem.

Right now our version looks like this:

你好嗎?\NHow are you?
我很好\NI'm fine.

Therefore, please tell me where I can find the software you mentioned by which I can compare the differences between our 7/7 version and the latest one in Repository section. Thank you very much for your help~! :)

1 registered user and 51 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Monday, November 28th 2011, 2:37am

Hi again! ^^

The tool i use is winmerge - http://winmerge.org/
It has a very nice display, very easy to grasp.

But SubtitleEdit has also a "compare" function, on File>Compare, and it saves the subtitles in UTF8, which might be important for Chinese, no? - http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit

I hope it helps! Good luck :peace:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 47 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Monday, November 28th 2011, 9:00am

Hi, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work, since we've created our own version of timestamps different from English ones so that even the line number itself can't match.

For example, when I use WinMerge in the left file pane of line 8, our Chinese version shows 都是在生活中习得的"\Nall that's learned along the way."

However, in the right file pane of line 8, the corrected Repository version shows "No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money."

Therefore, even the content with the same line number will be different so that it seems impossible for me to figure out which line number corresponds to our Chinese version of line number 8 for the correct Repository version in the right file pane. Is there any way to fix this problem? Or I'm just afraid I don't know how to use this software well(?)

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Monday, November 28th 2011, 5:28pm

Hi Albert,

To see what was changed in the English transcription, you need just the English subtitles. I suppose right now you are viewing both English and Chinese in your program? You need just the English and then compare it with the latest version to see what has changed.

If you have changed the timestamps in the English subs, and not just in the Chinese ones, there is still a way to make your task much easier, but it depends on how different the timestamps and order of strings are.

Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Wednesday, November 30th 2011, 3:54am

Hi, dear lizardman,

I understand your suggestion, and fortunately I've kept the original English version on 7/7 without any Chinese. The file is plain English. However, after I compared with the latest correct Repository version, I still find the timestamps of both English version are still different.

The old version of full English is 2146 lines, and the latest correct one is 2061 lines.

Therefore, the situation of different timestamps I mentioned before still occurs:

In WinMerge, left file pane, the old English repository version downloaded on 7/7 the data is as follows:
Line35
Dialogue: 0,00:02:40.540,00:02:46.900,Default,00001,0000,0000,0000,,And, considering what the world is now,

In WinMerge, right file pane, the latest English repository version downloaded on 11/28
Line35
Dialogue: 0,0:02:13.96,0:02:21.50,Default,00001,0000,0000,0000,,The crisis is a crisis in consciousness.

How can I compare, can anyone using this software teach me? Thank you very much in advance for all of your kind help and teaching. :)

Ray

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, November 30th 2011, 1:34pm

Hi Albert!!

The winmerge tells which lines have differences by the colors. dark yellow says that line is different in both SRTs being compared, and the light yellow (shadow) indicates where is it different. then, because you have the timmings equally different, your task will be much harder. First you would have to check according to the lines numbers which lines correspond to which in the other SRT and then check where are the differences in the text. It might be a long way to scroll down all lines identifying if the differences between SRTs are in the timings or in the text, but I don't see any other way.

Good luck with that.
hugs : )

1 registered user and 51 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, November 30th 2011, 6:09pm

Hello Albert,

I have what seems to be the perfect tool for this job. The site is in French, but it's intuitive so it's not a problem.

http://www.subdiff.com/index.php

Put your two versions there and it will show you the differences, disregarding that there are different number of strings (I tested it specially for that). But it doesn't work with UTF-8 encoding. If you're using Windows, simply open the subtitle file in Wordpad and save it. That will change the encoding.

I hope this does the job for you and everybody else that has this problem.

Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Friday, December 16th 2011, 12:51pm

Hello Albert,

I have what seems to be the perfect tool for this job. The site is in French, but it's intuitive so it's not a problem.

http://www.subdiff.com/index.php

Put your two versions there and it will show you the differences, disregarding that there are different number of strings (I tested it specially for that). But it doesn't work with UTF-8 encoding. If you're using Windows, simply open the subtitle file in Wordpad and save it. That will change the encoding.

I hope this does the job for you and everybody else that has this problem.
Hi, thank you very much for your help and suggestion, I will take a look at the tool. :D

1 registered user and 54 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion