You are not logged in.

• "Pamela_pam" started this thread

Date of registration: Mar 1st 2014

Language Team: polish

Focus Group: Other - Not Listed Above

Saturday, March 1st 2014, 4:24pm

Linguistics. Help me I have exam..

Hi to all

I do not quite understand the content of the phonetics/phonology lectures ( especially concepts of consonantal strength/sonority hierarchy and how to refer it to /r/, /h/, /l/ sounds). Maybe anyone could help me to clarify some qs ( especially the question nr 1: sonority/ consonantal strength).

Here they are:

From clear [l] vowel: velarization of [l] in English : make sure u comment on syllable structure + sonority hierarchy

I can explain what velarization of /l/ but what is sonority hierarchy? I guess its not the same as Sonority Sequencing Principle. I think it has to do with the scale (it s on the slides): plosive s are most sonorous sounds and vowels are the least sonorous sounds. Am I right? But is sonority in a way linked to the scale of consonantal strength? How to define consonantal strength? What is the place of /r/, /h/, / l/ sounds in sonority and consonantal strength scales?

And how to explain velarization of [l] in terms of sonority hierarchy

history of 'r' from the point of view of sonority

58 guests thanked already.
  • "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, March 1st 2014, 10:36pm

Hey there, Pam. Can you please make the "From clear [l] vowel: velarization of [l] in English : make sure u comment on syllable structure + sonority hierarchy" part clearer please? I think a little context would help. Also, I think that googling these things is always a better idea. Cheers.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

61 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion