You are not logged in.

• "Sue" is female
  • "Sue" started this thread

Date of registration: May 26th 2011

Language Team: Spanish

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Friday, April 3rd 2015, 9:35pm

TVP Website changes.

I'm sorry to seem a doozy, but I'm not sure if there is a list anywhere of the newer bits of the TVP website that need uploading into Pootle.
We had a meeting yesterday to start getting shit done again with the Spanish team, got like 4 new members. Some are wanting to translate those bits like buttons ""Sign up for our Newsletter", the 2 new FAQs, all these bits that aren't in Pootle yet.....or at least we can't find them.

53 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Sunday, April 5th 2015, 4:15pm

In the case with the "Sign up for our Newsletter" button, it is not translatable, unfortunately.

In regards to the multiple bits and pieces of text all around the website, the thing is that there are many of them and they are changing quite often. It's not stable content.

This is one of the primary reasons why we settled on some core content that would be the solid stuff up for translation in Pootle. That content represents the core information. The other stuff seems to change as the website itself changes and as various projects that are in the works change.

So that's what we have in Pootle. And I would highly recommend that teams first get this core information done and then focus on the details.

Now, the core content also goes through minor changes as typos and ambiguities get fixed. Or maybe as new FAQs get added. And unfortunately, we don't have a full-time Pootle administrator that can really help with keeping the content in Pootle up to date (which in my view is a very complex task if one wants to do it decently).

So that's what I can say. We have kind of focused on what's most important and what we can support with our limited resources. To better see what content I'm referring to, go to Pootle. It is still a huge pile of work.

Of course, if any team wants to translate more than what is in Pootle, that is doable provided that the content is translatable. Whether or not some piece of text on the site is translatable depends on how that text is stored technically. I can give details but I don't think it'll be useful since one can't tell in advance whether a piece of text is translatable without looking at where it is stored.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question. :)

52 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion