You are not logged in.

• "ioloo" started this thread

Date of registration: Mar 21st 2012

Language Team: Spanish

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader

Wednesday, July 18th 2012, 7:33pm

TVP Global Team Manual

I feel very much people don't know the TVP Organization and it make them less participation in the project.

So I purpose translate TVP Global Team Manual to many languajes and include them in the prioritary resources web list.
http://www.tvpactivism.com/en/tvpglobal-teams/team-manual

Quoted

If we consider it shouldn't be in LTI, and be a TVP internal process I'm trying an alternative tool.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "ioloo" (Jul 21st 2012, 12:06pm)

2 registered users and 38 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

sarjuva, Ray

• "sarjuva" is male

Date of registration: Jun 26th 2011

Language Team: finnish (suomi)

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 10:56am

I think this is a very good suggestion. I looked at Pootle projects and didn't find it there.
I didn't realize there was a link to a translation tool already. Nice suggestion :)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "sarjuva" (Jul 21st 2012, 9:40pm)

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

ioloo

Saturday, July 21st 2012, 12:11pm

Thanks,

The tool I alternatively suggested is perfectly compatible with Pootle, all the translations could be moved from one to another, If someone wants to prove it.

27 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 12:34am

Actually, I had thought this was already in Pootle. :embarrassed:

Question: If it does at all, how does this preserve the original formatting of the English PDF file. Conversion from PDF to text removes all of that with no hope of returning the translated version back into the same formatting for final re-conversion back into PDF. That causes a LOT of extra work for the person in your team who finalizes the project.

What is really needed is a fail-proof system for converting it from PDF to PO and back again without losing any of that formatting. The closest we've come are some programs that attempt to extract a PDF's contents into HTML, but none of the ones tried so far have worked well enough to be adopted as THE system.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

1 registered user and 24 guests thanked already.

nomada

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 9:57am

Hello Ray,

I don't know how to maintain layout from PDF. Really it makes extra work in conversion from PDF to POT and back.

If we have the source file (ODT or DOC) we could save it as HTML, convert to PHP(POT adapted) and back, we could lose layout but we can try.

2 registered users and 25 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 10:42am

Sorry sarjuva,

The link to transifex is not the suggestion, is an alternative to start translations without lose the work (and it wasn't when you posted the comment).

The suggestion is to up translation of the Global Team Manual TVP, as I can see it priority loss.

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

nomada

Saturday, July 28th 2012, 12:32pm

Hi all again,

I'm found this tool to translate PDF to HTM and mantain almost well the format.
http://share.pdfonline.com/aa64d6efe99f4…sm%20Manual.htm

It could be translated on Transifex, or Pootle:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/TVP…/gtm_pdfonline/

and back HTML and printed to PDF file.

Dissadvantages: third part PDFOnline, All HTML format pass as translation sentences.

1 registered user and 26 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Saturday, July 28th 2012, 2:35pm

Hey ioloo,

Nice tool! It gives better results than the ones I've seen until now. It produces comprehensible HTML and not gibberish.

I ran Looking Forward through it and for the most part it seems good to me. However, here is how one section came out where there is a table and pictures:

<TABLE cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 class="t0">
<TR>
<TD class="tr0 td0"><P class="p362 ft18">&nbsp;</P></TD>
<TD class="tr0 td1"><P class="p362 ft18">&nbsp;</P></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD class="tr1 td2"><P class="p363 ft16">Living <SPAN class="ft17">room </SPAN>of Scott and Hella's apartment</P></TD>
<TD class="tr1 td3"><P class="p364 ft16"><NOBR>Linear-acceleration</NOBR> train</P></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD class="tr2 td2"><P class="p363 ft5">The group is watching a <NOBR>three-dimensional</NOBR></P></TD>
<TD class="tr2 td3"><P class="p364 ft5">This train is magnetically propelled on a cushion of</P></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD class="tr3 td2"><P class="p363 ft5">teleprojection. The panel on the right contains</P></TD>
<TD class="tr3 td3"><P class="p364 ft5">air at 2,000 miles per hour. It has no engine or</P></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD class="tr1 td2"><P class="p363 ft5">facilities for shopping and rapid delivery, delicious</P></TD>
<TD class="tr1 td3"><P class="p364 ft5">wheels. The electrostatically charged point reduces</P></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD class="tr3 td2"><P class="p363 ft5">instant food. sending and receiving information, etc.</P></TD>
<TD class="tr3 td3"><P class="p364 ft5">air resistance. Its safe cybernated operation</P></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD class="tr4 td4"><P class="p362 ft18">&nbsp;</P></TD>
<TD class="tr4 td5"><P class="p364 ft5">requires no personnel.</P></TD>
</TR>

This is pretty bad since all of these will come out as separate strings, and they're not even comprehensible, because the text from the two table cells is mixed. It means that the HTML will require a good amount of manual work. But it can still be very useful when going from PDF to HTML.

When we consider going from translated HTML to PDF, the problems are multiple. On one hand, the text length is different and that may bring many consequences to the formatting. On the other hand, we strive to maintain minimum amount of tags in the strings that translators will work on (which is not always possible), and that contradicts a bit the desire to preserve the formatting, because the formatting relies on tags. If the tags surround the whole paragraph, they will not show in the conversion to PO file, but if they are inside, they will show. The semi-cure is to use different types of tags and preserve the formatting as much as possible, while also striving to produce clean strings.

If you're interested in experimenting and gaining more experience with HTML to PO and PO to HTML, you can try with the TVP Global Manual and see how much you can automate the process of formatting the completed translation back to PDF. I can help you with the little bit of experience that I have in all of this.

1 registered user and 25 guests thanked already.

Ray

Saturday, July 28th 2012, 8:49pm

I prefer doing an ODT template with the layout file, and put the text translated in PO file, via PHP pseudo-parset I did, in the ODT template.

I have a the ODT file in plain text, translated to spanish in Transifex, soon I'll do a new format template if I don't get the original layout from Stergios N. So, All teams could translate their Global Team Manual.

22 guests thanked already.

Monday, July 30th 2012, 9:10pm

OK, I have a first traduction into spanish:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/101562208/Manu…-Del-PV-02-2012

I'm based on another template of the VEM. 4 hours formating text. I don't know if it is too much work...

1 registered user and 27 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman

Friday, February 1st 2013, 8:40pm

Hi,

Congratulations to the Pootle Admins.

Now I suggest to migrate the .POT file and .PO translations from Transifex to Pootle.
I put the POT file now.
Global Team Manual TVP POT file

1 registered user and 25 guests thanked already.

nomada

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion