• "angelov" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 16th 2013

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader

Wednesday, March 16th 2016, 4:00pm

Fresco - translation problems

https://dotsub.com/view/ffd28cdb-1ac5-4d68-bfed-51b32b81632e

This is part of our chat with Ray, which I think will be helpful for other translators.

1)
00:01:45,470 --> 00:01:47,710
There is nothing in the Earth today
that is not acted upon by resident forces
and your language was designed hundreds of years ago.

What is the meaning of "resident forces"?

Answer: All of its surrounding external forces. That's a bit long for direct substitution. I'm giving it as reference so you might be able to more easily find a suitable substitute in Bulgarian.

2)
00:09:50,530 --> 00:10:12,790
I get to know the natives so well, I watch them make love.
They stroke the whole female, the top of the head all the way down.
They had no fetishes. There were no titmen, legmen, assmen
all that's made by culture.
And if you don't use that kind of language around women
you can't become equal to one another.
So you have to tell them how men think.

What is the meaing of "And if you don't use that kind of language around women you can't become equal to one another. So you have to tell them how men think."?

Answer: In "Fresco", Jacque is moving back and forth between reciting what happened on the island, his observations about that, and then trying to explain the observations from a more third-party perspective. So when he says:
"If you don't use that kind of language around women, then you will never be equal."
He just switched to third-person, explaining that if you don't use language that supports the equality that he experienced on the island, it will lead to the kinds of problems that he was just expressing before saying this part.
The last line that you are showing is also 'third-party', but it is on a somewhat different sub-topic.
"So you have to tell them how men think."
This leads into the next string (which you did not include here), where he says that is the wrong way to view it.
"That isn't how they think. That's how they're brought up."

27 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion