You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 10:41pm

Hi!! Welcome!! : )

Welcome to this wonderful global effort! : ) I am nomada and took initiative to make the Japanese forum easier to find projects to engage at, translating to Japanese, and other tools. I hope it helps. Feel free to ask anything you need to start ;)

If you prefer to focus on the translation of websites, books and other text documents, here is a tutorial for Pootle, the online tool we use for those projects: http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Help:Pootle

If you prefer to translate a video subtitle, here is a link to a tutorial to help you on how to use dotsub, the videos translation assistant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9zQoYWBd0

I can help you find the locations where we transate each project. Just reply in this thread and ask whenever you are ready :thumbup:

You might want to scroll down the pages of the forum that interests you, for example, this thread where we are typing, and, in the bottom right corner you have a link to "add to favorites". That will allow you to receive notifications whenever someone replies to that thread. The same thing works for sub-forums, like if you do the same on the Japanese Sub-Forum page, the Translation Team, Proofreading Team or the Published Results sub-forums.

I hope this information helps you integrate more easily :smiley:
Nice to have you around,
rodrigo (nomada)
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 56 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Linoal, gentsanc

Date of registration: Mar 9th 2013

Language Team: Japanese

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, March 13th 2013, 3:13am

Hi nomada,

It looks like there is nobody in the Japanese team. Is it safe to say that there is nobody else is working on translating the materials into Japanese so I can start anywhere?

54 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, March 13th 2013, 7:55am

@cikasa:

Hi again! :D
The only way to find out was to go to each video and check if there are Japanese translations in them. Luckily, DotSub gave the Linguistic Team access to the dashboard so we would have more ease into organizing the projects and search for important videos, and there I can tell you that...
- Culture in Decline 3 (http://dotsub.com/view/954843de-335e-47db-89db-ad33395cce52) is translated in 66%, last modified on 1/1/2013
- Culture in Decline 1 (http://dotsub.com/view/c3f83502-ed0e-42fa-9337-c76e399d4616) is at 3%, also last modified on the same date
- Addendum is 100% but not in a Linguistic Team working Location and they never contacted us, so we can not be sure the quality is good in order for us to add the translation to the official youtubes (http://dotsub.com/view/fed65713-33d8-4f36-b7cd-ab7399c9a7ab), but this translation dates from 2010.
- I can see also that some videos that are not official in the TVP youtube/website, but are based on the official ones, and others that are
subject related, have japanese translations on them, like this one about the TVP World Tour in 2010 (http://dotsub.com/view/9fc1b8d6-c0e9-4e2a-b2cd-cd073e78148e)

So, if that wasn't you, (and I can see at least 3 to 4 users in those links) I would say there are people out there willing to spread these
contents in Japanese. They aren't just aware that a collaboration effort is in place here and can be much more powerful in that sense. So maybe we have to reach them ;) Let me know if you would like to help in contacting these persons.

hugs :bighug:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 57 guests thanked already.

gentsanc

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Saturday, March 16th 2013, 2:23am

Thank you guiding me to these videos. Right now I'm interested in translating Paradise or Oblivion the most. I see that only 1% of it has been translated so far, but who ever that tried seemed to have given up.

It's too bad that you haven't added the Japanese translation for Addendum yet, even though it's completed. If I look over the subtitles and think that the quality is good, would you be able to add it to the official youtube channel? Or would you need more than one person reviewing it?

59 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Saturday, March 16th 2013, 9:32am

Hi! :)

ooh I would love that you would proofread that traslation of Addendum so we can add it to the video translations repository (Clones of the dotsub locations where we safeguard all translations) and to the youtube locations. Please do!! : ) I would like to suggest though, that you proofread it based on the English transcript that is the "official" location of the linguistic team, since this one was restructured in the strings, synchronized with the sound and proofread by several English volunteers. Before that we had many traslations that differ in meaning and all based in bad quality transcriptions, and that is pretty undesirable, if we wish to change the world with this information.
In the LTI location it is at 66%. According to the dates, this was made before the English transcript was proofread and rearranged. Too bad. Here is the link: http://dotsub.com/view/7281f5dc-d4b1-4315-abb7-143becd34f49

Maybe you can use the translation from the other location and paste it into this one, when it is a better translation than what you would be able to make yourself from scratch? I don't know what suites you better, so I will attach here the SRTs with both subtitles from both locations and suggest that whatever you do with them, use the Ling.Team Working Location (linked here above) to base your final proofread upon. How does that sound?

I will also plan a way to "fish back into the boat" some of the Japanese translators that have ever participated in translations either in Dotsub or Pootle locations, so we can build a team pretty soon ^^

Have fun!! and ask anything you want.

There is a linguistic team meeting tonight (maybe a bit too late for you?) if you wanna join:
http://forum.linguisticteam.org/index.ph…ent&eventID=110
nomada has attached the following files:

1 registered user and 50 guests thanked already.

gentsanc

Public Relations Group

Saturday, March 16th 2013, 9:52am

Just remembered another thing. Georgy, a Bulgarian volunteer that develops some tools for the Linguistic Team, has created these tools in order to solve situations where the teams have either 2 translations with different timings, with different text, etc. I don't know which is which anymore, but I think the refragment tool is what you could use to take the best translation out of the 2.
http://ostropero.com/cgi-bin/tools/zeitgeist/srt/frag.pl

But I see also that the Diff tool can compare 3 SRTs, 2 for the translations and 1 for the English transcript that we wish to use as base for our translations. Maybe you could try that?
http://ostropero.com/cgi-bin/tools/zeitgeist/srt/diff.pl

Hey, @georgyvlad: can you help us here? :rolleyes:

1 registered user and 59 guests thanked already.

cikasa

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, March 17th 2013, 3:24am

I tried using both tools but they don't seem to work. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Anyways, from what I've read so far the version that is 100% completed to have better quality. I think the synchronization is also better on this one, because it maintains the flow of the translation. I think it will be better for me to proofread this on its own and not bother with the other translation.

1 registered user and 53 guests thanked already.

nomada

Public Relations Group

Sunday, March 17th 2013, 12:26pm

Hi Cikasa! : )

No prob I was hopping the tools could be of help, but maybe Georgy can tell better how they work.

You are the one with technical knowledge to evaluate which is best, no argue on that :D so please go for the option you see reaching the best results :thumbup: I gave a look at the English transcription in that other dotsub location where the Japanese is at 100% and saw that there are many orthographic errors and possibly misunderstandings of meaning too. So I advise you to at least give a look at the corresponding lines in the English transcript of the other dotsub link where the English was proofread and corrected by the English team.

Have fun! and let me know if you need help with anything ; )
hugs

51 guests thanked already.
  • "georgyvlad" is male

Date of registration: Jul 24th 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 8:31pm

Hi folks,

It seems you decided the two versions of the Japanese don't really need to be merged because one of them is all around better...

But in a situation like this, you would first use the frag tool between the two versions, to make sure both texts are broken up the same way. You can even compare the two right there but you can only change the "refragment" SRT text. The result of the frag tool, the exported SRT at the end, will be the "refragment" SRT broken up the same way as the "reference" SRT. Only then you can run the two files (the same "reference" SRT and the resulting refragmented SRT) through the diff tool and here you will be able to pick each piece of subtitles from either file, or enter (maybe copy, paste and modify) some merged version between the two files...

Georgy.

56 guests thanked already.
  • "Hina1Night" is female

Date of registration: Apr 2nd 2013

Friday, April 26th 2013, 1:36pm

Hello

Hi my name is amber, I would like to help with translating into japanese. I can also translate spanish - english (vice versa)
I am currently working on this video (http://dotsub.com/translate/3ac01988-4d5…25884bc1f92/jpn)
I'm so glad to get started and it's all thanks to Sue : )
Signature from »Hina1Night« -Hinasu :sleeping:

3 registered users and 50 guests thanked already.

nomada, Sue, Linoal

Public Relations Group

Friday, April 26th 2013, 8:23pm

Hi!! Welcome!! What a joy to see you here and already finding what you are looking for. Nice news! :party:

@cikasa: Hi! Are you still around? I guess a team is forming here. Really cool! :)

I think I can help you develop the Japanese translations even more, if you keep communicating through this forum section. I'll be forwarding volunteers into it so you guys can welcome them and make them feel at home. I can help you find the tools, materials to translate and other stuff too. Just ask when you need.

I wonder what is your time zone? We have a LTI meeting Saturday 27/4 at 19:00 UTC, but that might be dawn for you fellows :S Here is some links, anyway:
https://www.facebook.com/events/587360731287888/
Linguistic Team Biweekly Meeting (Saturday, 26/4 at 19:00 UTC)

50 guests thanked already.
  • "Sue" is female

Date of registration: May 26th 2011

Language Team: Spanish

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Friday, April 26th 2013, 11:24pm

Hi Amber, so good to see you here :)
Remember, any help you need, just holler!
:bighug:

Rod, Amber is in Ireland. Isn't that awesome? An irish lassie translating into japanese! I LOVE this team :D
:bighug:

2 registered users and 51 guests thanked already.

nomada, Di Anna

• "Dmitry Nasedkin" is male

Date of registration: Jul 10th 2013

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 9:31pm

Hello, my name is Dmitry.
There are not many Japanese translators here, I suppose. I would be glad to offer my help in text translation (By the moment I don't have any dotsub skill for videos, but I can learn, if needed). In fact, it's the main reason why I'm here.
Thanks。

1 registered user and 46 guests thanked already.

nomada

Language Team: Dutch

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 10:50pm

Hi all,
I realize that translating into Japanese will be required here and as I'm not a native speaker I'm not completely confident i would rock at that, but since it seems there arent many translators for Japanese I would like to help where I can :)

I have studied the language for 7 years and am pretty decent at it i think!

2 registered users and 47 guests thanked already.

nomada, Dmitry Nasedkin

• "Dmitry Nasedkin" is male

Monday, July 15th 2013, 11:34am

I've discovered, that there is pretty much resourse-based economy related information in Japanese. There's some information about Venus Project, too. Just type the keyword 資源ベース経済 in yahoo, for example. Why am I saying that? There is much of terminology translated so we can use it freely. I suppose that there are even fragments of TVP materials already translated, so we can use it to reach our goal faster (I'm not sure though, is it right to just take it, but anyway it can be useful). Also through this word we can try to recruit more volunteers, maybe even native ones (though I think they already know about our existence).
Thanks for attention, sorry for off-topic or, maybe, obvious contents, just in case somebody have trouble with that stuff.

1 registered user and 48 guests thanked already.

nomada

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion