You are not logged in.

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, October 30th 2011, 2:47pm

Watch button

Thanks, sweetB, for this thread. I didn't know about that cool little 'watch' button, and I've clicked it. Also, I found a little typing error in the Guidelines and fixed it.
When are you gonna add an 'easy' button to Wiki? :rofl:
((hugs)) from me :bighug:
D
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

42 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, October 30th 2011, 10:48pm

Hyphen Rules

In our Guidelines under hyphen rules, we have stated "Hyphens are to be used exclusively for change of speaker, etc..." There is one other hyphen use that frequently occurs in our video lectures, and that is for compound adjectives. A compound adjective is formed when two or more adjectives work together to modify the same noun. The one occurring most often is 'self-evident'. I've researched 'self-evident' and this one is always hyphenated. Couldn't find an exception. Maybe we should put that in our Guideline, something like: "Hyphens are to be used exclusively for change of speaker and compound adjectives..."

A can see some wonderfully dedicated newbie following that rule soooo well that he or she leaves out hyphens in compound adjectives.
Other common examples in our videos are:

Resource-Based Economy
socio-economic paradigm
out-of-balance society
self-generating model
bio-psychosocial organisms
anti-social signposts
infinite-growth paradigm

Super love to you guys!
from Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

44 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, October 30th 2011, 11:10pm

New Hyphen Rule

In our Guidelines under hyphen rules, we have stated "Hyphens are to be used exclusively for change of speaker, etc..." There is one other hyphen use that frequently occurs in our video lectures, and that is for compound adjectives. A compound adjective is formed when two or more adjectives work together to modify the same noun. The one occurring most often is 'self-evident'. I've researched 'self-evident' and this one is always hyphenated. Couldn't find an exception. Maybe we should put that in our Guideline, something like: "Hyphens are to be used exclusively for change of speaker and compound adjectives..."

A can see some wonderfully dedicated newbie following that rule soooo well that he or she leaves out hyphens in compound adjectives.
Other common examples in our videos are:

Resource-Based Economy
socio-economic paradigm
out-of-balance society
self-generating model
bio-psychosocial organisms
anti-social signposts
infinite-growth paradigm

Super love to you guys!
from Di

34 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Monday, October 31st 2011, 8:44am

Thank you Di, I agree with you, we have to be crystal clear with those definitions ;)

I added the extra bit about compound adjectives, which I linked to a particular section of the wikipedia article about hyphens.

If you have other suggestions and ideas, please don't hesitate to let the group know about them. For example, we could imagine having a more concise version of the guidelines and use the wiki to categorize the information better... We don't have a whole lot of feedback so it's hard to conduct experiments, but it doesn't hurt to question what we have to make it better :)

P.S : that's weird, when I type wikipedia, my spellchecker highlights it as a spelling mistake and wants to put "pediatric" instead :giggle:

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, November 11th 2011, 7:01pm

Making the hyphen rule clearer?

Hey, everyone! Here's what the hyphen rule states in our Guidelines:

Speaker Identification :
the hyphen ("-") can be used to convey an exchange between two or more people.
If more than two participants are involved, the name of the speaker or his role in the segment (Interviewer #1, for example) is added, in parenthesis.

Could we add a little something here that states when a change of speaker is obvious in the video, we do not need to use the hyphen to denote the change, and that this is most likely to occur when there is a dialogue related by one person, as in Jacque's stories. I had interpreted that to mean we use the hyphen in any exchange between two or more people.

What do y'all think?
Di

• "brunodc" is male

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Saturday, November 12th 2011, 7:31am

1st point : hyphen rule related to dialog

I want your opinion on this hyphen rule in regards to dialog versus individual people talking independantly. Take the example of The Venus Project tours.

Would you rather have hyphens for each speaker there or no hyphens?

My guideline brain says it's not a dialog so no hyphens, but my translator brain says it would be easier for them to get the context, even though speaker identification is not meant for translators but for hard of hearing people.

Any thoughts?

Second point : About the 70 character rule.

We are not making subtitles for TVs but for computer monitors, which means that sometimes we have some extra room, i.e we can put more than 42 chars. per subtitle line.

So I find myself bending the 70 character rule from time to time, and when I do that I make sure that the subtitle doesn't spill over a third line in English. If it doesn't and that the lines before and after are not exceeding 70 characters, I allow myself this rule violation, because at times it leaves more time for translators.

My point is this: it's important for us to leave translators extra "character room" (physical space in which to put extra characters that some more verbose languages would require), but it's EQUALLY IMPORTANT for us to leave extra "temporal room" (make the duration of each string is as long as possible, within reason, to facilitate reading).

45 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Sunday, November 13th 2011, 5:51pm

Thanks Di for sharing your conclusions about the Roxanne video you proofread. My own conclusions are that the same issues keep popping up, which would be summed up as follows: - Issues with punctuation, especially before quotes - Issues with double quotes versus single quotes - Issues with run-on sentences. I think we have to pay special attention to these points as we proofread and monitor the situation as we progress. If we still the same problems arising, we need to identify the team member or members who keep making those mistakes and do whatever we have to do for that or these members to stick with the rules that were agreed upon. (This sentence sounds a little military, sorry about that :D)

1 registered user and 41 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna

Date of registration: Oct 26th 2011

Language Team: English Language Team

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Timestamp Adjustment Team
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, November 15th 2011, 11:09pm

Hi Guys, I'm fairly sure that I should be using full-stops in my transcriptions, but I'm asking to double check. Do we include periods when subtitling?

Hugs!
Signature from »Shane« "The challenges we face today can no longer be resolved with antiquated notions and values that are no longer relavent." ~ Jacque Fresco

38 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Wednesday, November 16th 2011, 1:18am

Hi, Shane,
Your question gave me a reason to look back into our guidelines, and I don't think I see an answer to your question there. Sooooo...I can tell you that I have always seen periods at ends of sentences in my final reviews, and if they were not present, I have inserted them.

Interestingly, though, I was in an auditorium at my school watching a documentary entitled "Invisible Children" (the child soldiers in Uganda). The documentary was subtitled and I noticed that there were no periods at ends of sentences. Neither were there capital letters for the first words of the sentences. But...until we decide differently as a team, I think the tradition now is for us to use end marks (and capital letters) in our videos.

((hugs)) and thanks too,
Di

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

Shane

Date of registration: Oct 26th 2011

Language Team: English Language Team

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, November 16th 2011, 3:07am

Thanks di,

Yeah, I had a look in the guidelines too, and didnt see anything. Thanks for letting me know :)

Hugs,
Shane.
Signature from »Shane« "The challenges we face today can no longer be resolved with antiquated notions and values that are no longer relavent." ~ Jacque Fresco

33 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Friday, November 25th 2011, 9:15pm

A little comment here about speaker identification versus sound effects and the such:

To identify speakers, we use parenthesis: (Interviewer), (Man with big nostrils).... No need to put hyphens before, I think the parenthesis are enough.
To denote sounds, we use square brackets: [Applause], [Car engin roaring].

That's what I saw in the docs I've seen, which you can take a look at here .

1 registered user and 36 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "JonWhit" is male

Date of registration: Oct 17th 2011

Language Team: English

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, November 29th 2011, 6:57pm

Whoa! This string is quite a novel.

Just a note to say that Jon was here and to thank everyone for all the input. :clap:

I have to agree that as an indoctrinated "big shot" Westerner, I am biased toward American-English rules. :nohear: ie. Spelling, (color) parenthesis or commas rather than hyphens, double quotation marks for primary quotes and single quotation marks for quotes within a quote, and many other examples. I don't remember where I read it but I understand that we as a linguistic team leave out any commas at the end of a string but leave periods. I am guilty by naivete on that one :embarrassed: and I apologize for any inconveniece that may have caused. I want to thank Di for pointing out hyphens in double adjectives as I was unsure about that. It can probably be translated more concisely into some other languages without using the hyphen.

Cheers team, you're making a difference :drinks:
Signature from »JonWhit« The Government isn't the solution to the problem; the Government is the problem.
-Ronald Reagan

1 registered user and 33 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, November 29th 2011, 7:30pm

Ohhhhh, JonWhit
You're soooo funny! I totally understand what it's like to be American. :cowpoke: Hey, since joining this team, I've had to re-learn 37 years of teaching English. hahaha! But hey, we can do it! It's nice to have you join our 'colourful' team, although it was always "colorful" to me. :clown: Well, I guess it's time we Americans grow-up and start thinking GLOBAL! Video proofing is entirely different from proofing student essays and research papers anyway!
Nice to have you here! :kiss:
Di :bighug:

1 registered user and 38 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "Diana" is female

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 9:52am

Hello transcribers!
we had a very interesting conversation with a person who has a professional experience with subtitling. I'm reporting here something that might be of your interest, with a few examples I found among our projects.

He explained us that the transcription has to be as neutral as possible, avoiding to stress words by using quotes and capitals letters, or putting words into brakets if they are part of a speech. And we have to consider that subs are done not only for the translations but also for deaf people. Quotes, brakets and capital letters have their own function, other than highlighting words or saying which are less relevant:

"..." : quotes are used just for direct speeches (while in Common Objection they are used repeatedly to stress words);

ABC : capital letters are used just to rewrite "titles" appearing on the screen (there's a lot of them in Z:MF);

(...) : brakets should not be used to put speaker words into (while they are used twice in RT interview, VP to bring peace);

- : the hyphen to introduce a direct speech is used only when the speeches by two different speakers appear in the same string / shot. Otherwise it's not necessary, especially if the images help in understanding that the speaker changed. (the example is again the interview on RT, VP to bring peace) where hyphens were used at the beginning of each string introduced by a new speaker, but actually they'd be necessary just in a couple of occasions because the video already tell us who is speaking ;)
I hope it's clear and of help. Following this points transcriptions will also be more uniform and consistent!

Thanks a lot for the work done so far,
Hugs :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Diana" (Jan 31st 2012, 10:24am)

2 registered users and 37 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 2:12pm

VERY helpful!

Diana,
I really like those suggestions. I have always thought that subtitles should be 'less busy', if you understand what I mean. Symbols and brackets and double quotes make the strings too distracting. These rules would be good to add to our guidelines. The hyphen rule can be easily overused too.

Thanks, Diana!
Great job!
((hugs))
Di

33 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion