Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 8:08pm

Hello, folks!

I came back because I wanted to transcribe some Zday videos but I see there has been some action in this video I left off a while back...

Good to see @nitrofurano finished the video. I watched a little past the 5:41 mark and I see lots of things will need to be fixed. I will attach here the SRT of the video as it is now. I ran it through the diff tool to see how the transcription changed and I see that @nitrofurano only added new transcription without changing my original text.

So, I want to do a proofreading of the transcription now but dotsub has a different kind of view for editing the text - not the timestamped version but some paragraph version. I have never seen this before but sounds pretty useful for just changing the text, I assume, and leaving the timestamps as they are?

I may work in the diff tool as if I am merging my SRT with the current one and at the end export the resulting SRT, which will be my proofread version.

OK, I'm attaching the current SRT and I'll start proofreading now...

Georgy.
georgyvlad has attached the following file:

26 guests thanked already.
  • "georgyvlad" is male

Date of registration: Jul 24th 2011

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 9:06pm

Hello folks,

I tried proofreading but it's a big pain to go back and rewind the video. I can only think of using the mouse for that and dragging the slider back. In the timestamp editing mode, I was able to use some shortcut for rewinding a little (Ctrl + Shift + [ or something like that) and that was SO much better! Is there a way we can make dotsub switch back to that mode?

@nomada?

Georgy.

24 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 11:20pm

HI Georgy!! :)
The video was open or translations and closed for transcription. I just changed it back.Probably you were in some translation feature and not in the transcription feature. Please try it when you can and let us know.

hugs :bighug:

@georgyvlad:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

georgyvlad

• "georgyvlad" is male

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 12:02am

Obrigado, @nomada! :-)

That was it! Now, I was able to transcribe with the interface I was used to. MUCH better!

I finished my proofreading. I'm attaching the resulting SRT I just exported from dotSUB.

I'll try to also show the difference before and after my proofreading by using the "diff" tool.

Georgy.

1 registered user and 23 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "georgyvlad" is male

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 12:23am

Great! I just did it. I refragmented the original SRT(2) file (the one before my proofreading) and I made it conform to the timestamps of the SRT (3) file (the result of my proofreading). I'll attach it here as (2).refrag - just for reference. Now, I just have to submit the two files - (3) and (2).refrag - to the "diff" tool and we'll see the proofreading I did by showing the differences in the text. I'll do that in another post.

1 registered user and 26 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "georgyvlad" is male

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
LTI Development Group

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 12:41am

Now, that was SWEET! It's like an example how to go about refragmenting and seeing the differences between two files in a real world situation.

Here is the difference of the transcription before/after my proofreading - diff project

You can see the proofreading pretty well.

Now, there are still a few places where I couldn't understand at all what Jacque was saying, so I left ??? markers for someone else to try.

I did minimal timestamp adjustments when I was proofreading (less in the beginning, more later). So, someone can take a crack at doing the timestamping/refragmenting...

Later folks,

Georgy.

nomada

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 11:19am

Hi Georgy!! Great news!! : )

If this is one of those videos where there are several places without the full text, maybe it is better to proceed with P2 before timeshifting, to see if the second proofer can complete it better (or leave the ?? marks in place, in case it is really impossible to tell what Jacque is saying). What do you say fellows? I'll put this as pending P2 in the wiki .

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

22 guests thanked already.
  • "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, April 14th 2013, 5:38pm

Jacque Fresco - What Causes Anger

Hi Nomada,

I'll try to tackle PR2 on this.

nomada

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, April 15th 2013, 2:57am

Jacque Fresco - What Causes Anger

PR1 Ongoing.

Q: How liberal can I be rephrasing some of Jaque's grammar? ex: 'then what you do is your anger then becomes converted to strategy.'
~ Changed to: ' then you convert your anger to strategy.' ... ?

Ray / Gman: In more literal terms, you don't 'convert your anger' any more than you control your breathing or heartbeat. Your anger changes to strategy, but it's not what 'you' do to it that allows for that. It's the processing of new info that allows it to happen naturally.

Suze: Right.

Ray / Gman: I only expanded that to show that we have to be very careful with 'how' we rephrase things when these rephrasings are needed for clarity.
Yes, we can rephrase things that really require it to make sense, especially to our translators who may not be able to make heads or tails out of some English slang or translators who may not be able to make heads or tails out of some English slang or lazy speech/writing.
But I strongly suggest bringing those instances to the attention of the rest of the team in the forum to allow a more open discussion on how to best handle it.
One thread per 'issue', though, to help keep the growth of these important discussions indexed & very easy to search.

Suze: In this instance, I think he means that you have to make a conscious effort to convert your anger to strategy if you want to survive. That 'strategy' phrase is followed by 'Strategy means "How do I get rid of this situation? How do I defend myself?'

Ray / Gman: Disclaimer: I'm approaching this without anything approaching enough 'contextual info, so it may not truly fit the passage. Having said that:
For this one,
'then what you do is your anger then becomes converted to strategy.'
might read much better as
'then your anger converts to strategy.'
Ray / Gman: For one thing, the statement provides what Jacque normally says about this topic, but without the 'fluff'. Another strong point is that it reduces the amount of characters needed to get the point across. This is important when you consider that some languages need all of the 'space' they can get for their translations. Less is more, when being forced to rephrase something that will be later translated.

Suze. THANKS RAY!

1 registered user and 22 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, April 16th 2013, 3:31am

Jacque Fresco - What Causes Anger ~ OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED #1

34.39-36.00 Jacque says "... because you said you'd have it Friday..." ~ I think it would make more sense if 'Friday' was replaced by 'Wednesday' (?)

"I'll have it Wednesday for you." You come back Wednesday.

He says "Thursday for sure."

You come back Thursday,

then he says"Why don't you come back Friday?"

Goddamn it. I brought my car in because you said you'd have it Friday." ~ should be "... because you said you'd have it Wednesday." :S

24 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion