You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, January 11th 2014, 8:32pm

Making the Timeshifting Stage Obsolete

A timeshifting stage between proofreadings, to correct the subtitle strings structure and synchronize the transcriptions, seems an unsustainable option to me now. For a while I guess, but I lacked vision of other options and that kept me doing it.

I think that the approach that Suze, MrB, Bruno and others who are transribing/proofreading offline is much better. The strings should be structured right on the transcriptions stage and preferably by someone with very good english and accquainted with the guidelines. The second person reviews everything. We might need a 3rd person or not, depending on the length of the video and difficulty level. I don't think anymore stages would be necessary.

I feel more motivated to transcribe videos from start with good quality than to correct transcriptions, which usually takes more time than transcribing and it is a repetition of the task, basically, if the strings are badly structured.

Just something I wanted to share as it pop up on my mind now :kewl:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 27 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Suze, RayJay

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, January 12th 2014, 12:26pm

I don't understand. How will transcriptions and strings be synchronized if there is no timeshifting?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

29 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Sunday, January 12th 2014, 6:05pm

I think Rodrigo is suggesting that if on the transcribing stage there is already a good synchronization and structuring of the subtitles, there will be no need for a round of timeshifting later - because it will already have been completed.

The way I see it is based on needs rather than on x number of rounds. Declaring a timeshifting or proofreading necessary or unnecessary just because there is some kind of established procedure doesn't make much sense. The reason we have x rounds of proofreading is because through experimentation we see that there is what to fix until the last round, and sometimes even after it. If, for example, there wasn't anything to fix in the last round of proofreading, then naturally we would start skipping it.

It seems similar with the timeshifting. If the transcribing is done by a person who has good skills in subtitle structuring and synchronization, combined with a knowledge of specific tools built for subtitling, there wouldn't be much or any need for an additional timeshifting round. Or maybe the more experienced proofreaders will also be educated in timeshifting, eliminating the need for a separate timeshifting round. Either way, the skillset would still be there, just not necessarily expressed in a separate round. But the round itself is not important, the skills and people are.

To me this means that if we want to change the process (for example, to have skilled people doing the transcribing), we have to concentrate on team-building, rather than on declaring procedures. With enough people in the team the problem will resolve itself, without anyone needing to mentally come up with plans on how something will supposedly work best.

This seems the hardest path, but it's kinda the only real solution (besides automation) to such problems.

1 registered user and 32 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

Public Relations Group

Sunday, January 12th 2014, 7:24pm

Yup. Basically, who wants to help in this direction, engage in transcribing/proofreading/timeshifting offline and get better at all those skills. The better a transcription is done, the faster the project will flow and more motivated we will be. If the 1st proofer has skills in all stages, the extra long, too short and superfast strings will be cleaned out at the same time the text is revised, since some text is usually added and removed. With the feedback between stages, we will all be in constant improving. Another advantage, if the proofreaders do many of the transcriptions, they won't be done by other volunteers not familiarized with the guidelines and skills necessary.

The reason it took so long for more volunteers in the english team to have offline skills in transcribing and timeshifting was that the we kept it as 'separated skills'. Just like in our offline lives where we become specialized. Multidisciplinarians is the future, right? ; )
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 28 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

Language Coordinator

Sunday, January 12th 2014, 10:58pm

Ηey guys. I am supposed to be an English transcriber, but I haven't done one project yet. If you could guide me through it sometime, so that I learn to do it in a synchronized way, I think it would help this direction.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

30 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Monday, January 13th 2014, 2:11am

I'll be more than glad to do a first introduction to you on VSS or a similar offline tool and on transcribing and synchronizing subs according to the guidelines, if you wish. I am guessing a second part would be needed with the help of [url='http://forum.linguisticteam.org/index.php?page=User&userID=31']@Di Anna:[/url] or [url='http://forum.linguisticteam.org/index.php?page=User&userID=970']@Suze:[/url] maybe, for other English related guidelines and procedures. Just beep me on skype when you see me online.

1 registered user and 28 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, January 13th 2014, 3:09pm

I'll be more than glad to do a first introduction to you on VSS or a similar offline tool and on transcribing and synchronizing subs according to the guidelines, if you wish. I am guessing a second part would be needed with the help of @Di Anna: or @Suze: maybe, for other English related guidelines and procedures. Just beep me on skype when you see me online.

I'll be more than happy to be there for Nomada's introduction ('cause heck, I need to learn how too), and I'll offer help with the English skills and guidelines. Maybe we could find a time to do this on Teamspeak. Whatcha think, Nomada? Could we get together as a Team for a little education?

Great idea!
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 27 guests thanked already.

Suze

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, January 13th 2014, 6:00pm

Teamspeak tutorial is a grand idea! Count me in!

3 registered users and 28 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada, FrankySnatra

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, January 14th 2014, 7:41pm

[quote='Di Anna','index.php?page=Thread&postID=15656#post15656']Maybe we could find a time to do this on Teamspeak. Whatcha think, Nomada? Could we get together as a Team for a little education? [/quote][quote='Suze','index.php?page=Thread&postID=15658#post15658']Teamspeak tutorial is a grand idea! Count me in! [/quote][quote='Christos Pap.','index.php?page=Thread&postID=15651#post15651']If you could guide me through it sometime, so that I learn to do it in a synchronized way, I think it would help this direction. [/quote]Great to read you fellows!! A facebook event for this, to see if anymore people come and maybe to give us time to set a doodle? Shall we start with that? Maybe James, Paulo and some fellows from the german team might be interested too.
[url]http://doodle.com/z4eu7g2x3vfc2rbf#table[/url]

The date and time where most of us are present, we make it the date and time of the event and create it on facebook for the case others wish to join. Sounds good?

[url='http://forum.linguisticteam.org/index.php?page=User&userID=293']@FrankySnatra:[/url] Can you guide the volunteers yu have interested in transcribing and timeshifting to this thread?

hugs

1 registered user and 29 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, January 14th 2014, 8:13pm

Let's do it, Nomada! Exciting news!
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 25 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra, nomada

Date of registration: Nov 24th 2011

Language Team: German

Focus Group: Translator

Tuesday, January 14th 2014, 10:32pm

Great idea, Rod / Nomada

If the questions to be answered during this lession will be:

How to create a transcription offline?
Is there a way to adjust timestamps automatically? (soundwave+textline)
What are effective tools in general that are and can be used for our tasks within LTI?
What processes could/can make our projectmanagement more efficient?

then, count me in ;P

Anyway, this meeting would be a great way to learn something und to "see" wonderful LTI-volunteers ^^

HUGS ;)

2 registered users and 29 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, January 15th 2014, 1:09am

Cool! Those are the questions, exactly, Franky.
I see the doodle is rolling too ;) [url]http://doodle.com/z4eu7g2x3vfc2rbf3izfkbea/admin#table[/url]

1 registered user and 30 guests thanked already.

Christos Pap.

Language Coordinator

Wednesday, January 15th 2014, 3:13pm

Guys, I have already created the event in facebook. There may be a miscommunication because I already put a date and time on the event. Anyway, I think the doodle is a better idea, so I added my part. However, I am not sure I will be able to make it because for the next month at least, I won't be able to have a stable internet connection, since I'll be out of my house for a little while. I hope I can find a steady internet place for my netbook, so I can use teamspeak. I may be able to connect, but I won't be able to speak. I hope I see you, Monday, my brothers and sisters!

PS: I just realized how important technology is :)

1 registered user and 29 guests thanked already.

nomada

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, January 15th 2014, 4:04pm

Glad you mention that, Christos. Can you share a link to the event so we can be sure of what we are talking about?
I saw an event about PR group but nothing about transcriptions, proofing and timeshifting offline.

The doodle is the best way to have the most people present while it gives us time to promote the event in every communication platform where we hang out and so more people will be exposed to the info and increase their chances of coming. Maybe we should do the same with the PR Group meeting. I am guessing that little more than you and me will be present there.

For others who are willing to engage in the transriptions, Proofing and Timeshifting offline as a strategy to make the english team jump to a better level of quality and reach, here is the timeshifting tutorial that have had very good results until now. The new timeshifters/transcrbers/proofers that guide through it usually need some extra orientation but they always get there and seem to enjoy the new possibilities in quality of the tasks we do.
[url='http://bit.ly/16wyeRO']http://bit.ly/16wyeRO[/url]

And here is one from Bruno on how to use VSS after installing and setting it up.
[url='http://bit.ly/17bs4Ga']http://bit.ly/17bs4Ga[/url]

for those who wish to advance something before the gathering on TS.

have fun : )

28 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Wednesday, January 15th 2014, 4:14pm

Never mind. The event was about the PR Group (https://www.facebook.com/events/74693054…ry_type=regular). Ι hope I can make it on teamspeak. If not, Rod, can we please make it some time one-on-one in skype?

1 registered user and 33 guests thanked already.

nomada

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion