You are not logged in.

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 6:13pm

I use VisualSubSynch, thanks to Nomada's excellent training and patience, but these past couple of days I've tried both Aegisub and Subtitle Workshop. For some reason, I find Aegisub more user-friendly and comprehensive than VisualSubSync. Since it works with Mac, Linux and Windows environments, maybe we should be using that? I'd hate to go through another learning curve now that I'm used to VSS, but whatever's better in the long run ...

2 registered users and 22 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Di Anna

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 7:49pm

Try one first and then the other, Christos. Is the only way you can know and it only helps to get more experience. I don't suggest trying the tools before trying transcribing+TS+Proofing and all its peculiarities with only one tool, if it works well for you, and later try with another one.

It think we could gain a lot with having people in different tools too. If someone new comes and has Mac, it is good to have someone with experience in Aegisub to help him/her. I tried to timeshift with Aegisub when Marlyse offered to help, but I was fixed in the technical approaches of VSS and searching for the same functions in Aegisub. I couldn't find the same fast/easy way to apply some of them and Marlyse don't seem to have tried since then; for a while I don't see her around neither. I hope she is well. Back to the tools, if you say, Suze, that Aegisub seems easier, I would love to learn it myself too. I guess we can go through all that in the next meeting. Meanwhile, I will start putting into practice the transcription offline and chose a short project. We can see in how many stages we become satisfied with the results of the new approach ; )

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 26 guests thanked already.

Suze

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 9:48pm

If U have Linux, you can download the free "Wine" application so that you can run Windows applications and programs on Linux.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 23 guests thanked already.

nomada

LTI Administration Group

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 10:40am

Interestting. cool. thanks for sharing : )

There are several videos from Zday 2013 and sme from 2012 too. Maybe we could focus on those and release them before the zday 2014. They will help on the promo of the zday.
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 22 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 4:37pm

Sure. I'll drop the video 'PJ's Response to Stefan Molyneux' for now and concentrate on the ZDay ones. :-)

3 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

nomada, FrankySnatra, Di Anna

Language Coordinator

Sunday, January 26th 2014, 7:59pm

Hey everyone. Seems like the day which suits the most people is Monday on February 3 at 8pm GMT. So get ready with the tutorial!

I would like to start working on the tools before the meeting and I am downloading VSS right now. Any suggestions on which video to start with? Both videos which Nomada suggested seem to be near completion already. "Smarten ourselves up " is 91% finished and "Self-Erecting Structures " is 81%. Should I try something else since someone is already on them?

By the way, if the transcription team uses offline tools, how come these transcriptions are being done in dotsub? I also noticed that these projects are not in the transcription team section. How do we know which projects are being transcripted by other people?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

20 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Tuesday, January 28th 2014, 9:21pm

Also, if we are to start doing transcriptions offline, how do we download videos from Dotsub?

23 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, January 28th 2014, 9:47pm

I usually download the video from youtube since it has highest quality. If you use Firefox, there is an add-on called Download Helper which captures any video that you play in your browser and allows you to download it.

There are also some websites that you can use to download from video sites, but I've recently been having more difficulties with them.

1 registered user and 22 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, January 28th 2014, 9:55pm

I download with the tool Lizzie just mentioned-- Download Helper on Mozilla Firefox. I would imagine there are others available, and maybe this could be a part of what we will learn when we meet together to discuss the best tools for transcribing offline.
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

26 guests thanked already.

LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, January 28th 2014, 10:16pm

By the way, if the transcription team uses offline tools, how come these transcriptions are being done in dotSUB? I also noticed that these projects are not in the transcription team section. How do we know which projects are being transcripted by other people?
The transcriptions are done offline and then saved in dotsub, where will be the translation location when the proofreading is done.

"Smarten ourselves up " is 91% finished and "Self-Erecting Structures " is 81%. Should I try something else since someone is already on them?

you can always timeshift and revise what is already done. There are many projects on those conditions. Many more that we can bring in, but we have the issue of finishing those too. They are short.Do you want to give it a try?

I am trying Camstudio to record myself revising a video offline but there seems to be a conflict that makes it freeze and block my screen on green-rose flashes. It also downloads a lot of junk and a browser hijacking thing that changed my default url in the browser to chrome://lightning/content/newtab.html
I need to search for another tool. Camtasia seems to be a trial version of 30 days only. I am trying to get rid of those bugs now before starting new tests, but I also need to find a place to live for February, between other stuff, so I'll see what I can do.

3rd of February seems good to me until now. If nothing a changes, we could create an event 3 days before or something.

hugs :loveya:

24 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Tuesday, January 28th 2014, 11:41pm

Thanks, guys. I was talking about videos that are in youtube such as "Smarten ourselves up...". I have downloadhelper but it can't download from dotsub. Yes, Rod, I would like to help with short videos. What have you got for me? :)

Also, how do I start a transcription? Do I have to submit somewhere that I am undertaking the project? Where do I find the projects for transcription? I would look at the wiki, but you have told me that much info from the wiki is outdated. Thanks in advance for your patience.

LTI Administration Group

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 12:18am

Those videos you mentioned are short.

Use the download helper in youtube and take the medium size mp4 format. It works better with synchronizing in VSS.

Let us know how it goes, if you have doubts, etc.

The forum is the most updated place to find projects. The wiki is next, almost everything is there. You will have no difficulties finding something to revise. To transcribe, you need to find and set up a new video project in the forum.

http://forum.linguisticteam.org/board2-l…ish-department/

27 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 12:19am

It is possible to download from dotsub with DownloadHelper. You have to start the video and then download it. But I recommend downloading from other location (youtube/vimeo), where the quality is probably higher.

The percentage on dotsub doesn't tell you much information. It's some dotsub tool which isn't all that accurate. The way you see if a someone is working on a video is to check the forum thread and see how it's going. You can do it for those two videos that you mentioned. Keep in mind that the video may be waiting for a timeshifting, or for a first proofreading, or a final review, whatever. So it may not be suitable for you depending on the stage it's at.

If you go to the PMS, you will see all projects of the English team that are currently in the works. You can easily see the videos that are at a given stage (timeshifting, transcribing, etc.) and choose from them. Then you would announce in the video's forum thread that you intend to go and do the round of work.

Helps clear things up? Shoot any more questions you might have.

24 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 2:02pm

Yes, this did clarify my main questions.

Is there any place for projects which haven't started yet? I am a first-time transcriber, so I wouldn't want to interfere with a project which has already started. If not, I guess my only option is to undertake a project on hold, which stopped in the transcription stage, right?

• "lizardman" is male

Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 7:53pm

Yes, I think those "On hold" projects would be good to do. You can clean up the transcription and work on the timeshifting for any videos you choose from there.

Just to clarify, those "On hold" projects were not stopped. They were just prepared for entering into the transcription stage, but because it would flood everything if they were all added, the On Hold section was created. So we can regularly pull in projects from there. This way it's much more manageable.

Then, somebody (nitrofurano) went in and did the transcriptions for all those projects. However, it seems that the transcriptions might need work and correcting to bring them to a better state. Thus my suggestion that you choose from there and try to improve what has been done.

2 registered users and 19 guests thanked already.

Christos Pap., nomada

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion