• "Christos Pap." is male
  • "Christos Pap." started this thread

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 8:20am

Extra String = Extra Info

In this video 's transcription you can see, in the end, a link to our forum. It is just an extra string added after the transcription ends, to provide info to the viewer about where he/she can contribute if they would like. It might seem unnecessary at first because we have info on the description but don't forget that not everyone reads the description, plus this info is visible only to someone who watches the video online. If someone downloads the video and the subs, this info will not be available to him/her or to the friends that this viewer might share it with. Moreover, this string is something that all the other language teams can use too just be translating it in their language and changing the link to their forum.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, kassy

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 9:46am

Seems very well put, to me. That will surelly make many more people arrive in the forum :)
We still have many people who register but never gets to make a post in the forum. Is there a technical solution to help them, and incite them, to make that first post? Many others have made only 1 post also. Maybe we need to make it easier for them to participate in translations/proofreading and incite the replies?
http://forum.linguisticteam.org/index.ph…&sortOrder=DESC

If someone downloads the video and the subs, this info will not be available to him/her
How come they won't see it? Isn't it in the subs, no matter where you use them?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

25 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 6:27pm

Love the question, Rod. By "this info" I meant the info on the video description (in Dotsub or Youtube).

Is there any way I can be notified when a new guy registers in the Forum? I would really like to send them an e-mail the minute they step in offer them. Please, is there any way to make this happen? If they don't post not even once, it may have s'th to do with the forum and them not having any help going through it. I can totally do that! @Ray, can you work your magic?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 25 guests thanked already.

nomada

LTI Administration Group

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 8:06pm

That would be nice. I wouldn't mind covering your action there and test that approach for a while.

I wonder if there are some more changes in the forum structure that can help them find what they need? Maybe the welcome email after registration could include a 3 steps thing with direct links to 1) Introduce yourself here; 2) Find a project to help translate/transcribe; 3) Let also other volunteers from your language know you arrived, in the respective language section;

something like that?

On the top of the forum, could we have links to the Introduce Yourself and to the Language Team Playgrounds besides the other menu items of Forum (do we need this one?), ToDo, Members and Pootle?
Maybe clean up the Open for Translations a bit too? Put more focus into Dotsub and Pootle?

@Ray:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

26 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Friday, March 14th 2014, 6:11pm

Christos, create a new account and see for yourself what comes through as a "Welcome message", and where it comes to you (PM, confirmation email, separate email, etc.).
I've set up several things over the years that ended up as overkill. I also discontinued using one or two of the ones I've tried in the past, so I'm hoping it's down to just one message that provides decent information. If you find that there is a message, Copy/Paste it into a post here and we can play with making it more of what it needs to be.

Edit: This topic is different from the thread's initial topic. Maybe a new thread is in order before we go too far into Welcome messages & other forum issues.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

24 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Friday, March 14th 2014, 6:30pm

I wonder if there are some more changes in the forum structure that can help them find what they need? Maybe the welcome email after registration could include a 3 steps thing with direct links to 1) Introduce yourself here; 2) Find a project to help translate/transcribe; 3) Let also other volunteers from your language know you arrived, in the respective language section;

Nice idea. I asked Christos to register a new account to report what is coming through to new members now. We can play around with the message once we know for sure what's actually reaching new members.

On the top of the forum, could we have links to the Introduce Yourself and to the Language Team Playgrounds besides the other menu items of Forum (do we need this one?), ToDo, Members and Pootle?
Maybe clean up the Open for Translations a bit too? Put more focus into Dotsub and Pootle?

Sure, we can add links to just about anything.

My plan for cleaning up the "Open" section is to move the Acute Priority items into their respective Pootle or dotSUB boards and turning them into Stickies. I added an extension a while back that separates Announcements, Stickies and normal forum threads, so the idea is to adjust non-material info (those not about a specific project) into Announcements, even if they are only set to show in the one board. Then, use the Stickies area only for high priority material (actual project threads).

Same thing for "Final Proofreading" projects. They should be in their respective Pootle/dotSUB boards, up in the Stickies. Actually, they need to be resolved and taken out of 'final proofreading' mode so they can re-join the rest of the 'normal' threads, where they belong. ;)

The "Image Translations" board, at least in its current format, hasn't produced nearly the response or management ability that such a focus needs. I'm currently considering other approaches, but don't have a complete enough picture of what I have in mind to paint for anyone just yet. For now, we'll leave that one alone.

24 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Friday, March 14th 2014, 8:43pm

The "English Dep't" and "Open for Translation" sections are now much more consolidated than they were.
Their 'stickies' have been more clearly identified as items that all members should look into and manage accordingly (whether it's an acute priority, or if it's a Final Proofreading project that needs one last proofreading to get it completely off of their 'to do' list)
I added a few 'Labels' to the Text & Video boards, making it easier to identify what condition each Sticky is in.
I also converted the Open for Translation board into a Category, since it no longer needs to hold any threads.

Still left to do as time permits:
  1. Merge all Error Report threads with their respective project threads within the English Dep't or Open for Translation sections. Merging brings together two threads with the posts in chronological order, which is a rather nice feature of the forum software.
  2. Hide the Error Reporting board and announce that everyone should use the relevant project thread for all reporting of issues, large & small.
  3. Bring all existing Etherpad-like "Notes" into their respective forum threads, marking the end of our use of such 'external' pads.

The result will be one place for everything related to a given project, which makes all of this much, much simpler for new & old members alike.

2 registered users and 26 guests thanked already.

nomada, Christos Pap.

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Saturday, March 15th 2014, 6:00pm

Nice stuff.

Feedback on two points from me. First, all language teams work differently. Some use forum threads for every video/text, others don't. Having the instruction "When ready, a team coordination member should create a new thread in their team's "Translation Team" (or whatever you choose to call it) section and then Copy the contents of the first post into that." implies that all teams should use this particular approach. I don't find the approach efficient in the case of the Bulgarian team, and especially when we start using the PMS, all the project management will automatically be done, leaving the forum to be a place for tackling specific issues rather than for following what's the state of each project.

Second, it seems that we have differing views on whether errors should be reported in a separate forum section or in the video/text's working-place thread. So it doesn't make sense to me to go ahead and put work into changing the arrangement if we aren't yet clear on it. Maybe it seems an obvious improvement to you guys, but it's really not obvious to me because the overall arrangement heavily depends on how the Portal, PMS and forum will be integrated.

1 registered user and 25 guests thanked already.

nomada

LTI Administration Group

Saturday, March 15th 2014, 10:37pm

but it's really not obvious to me because the overall arrangement heavily depends on how the Portal, PMS and forum will be integrated.

Can you expand on that? In which ways could those platforms be integrated that would have different results in the best way to arrange the error reports?

23 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Sunday, March 16th 2014, 2:52pm

I think it would be much better if the Portal and the PMS, in combination, provide the person who works on a project with quick links to all relevant resources. No need to search through the forum sections or to ask someone. You have everything in one place, always visible to you when you engage in a project.

This would eliminate ambiguity about which is where.

After this we can set up the forum any way we like, without having this concern of possible ambiguous locations for things. Because people would not be coming into the forum, they would be coming into the Portal which gives links to specific forum sections.

Sometimes there are benefits from having a dedicated forum section for a particular activity. In the case of Error Reporting, possible benefits could be shorter thread length, dedicated sticky/important threads specific to that section, more clarity as to which reported errors have been taken care of and which haven't, having it be more easy to direct proofreaders to help with reported errors, and generally not being in the way but rather having separate place for in-depth discussions about possible errors in the transcript.

Of course, all of this is projection. It is just possible benefits. Probably it comes from my experience of seeing how well error reporting has worked in its dedicated section. I wouldn't like us putting a lot of time and actually making something worse than it worked before. On the other hand, if we see that the forum/PMS/Portal integration does not make things that unambiguous or has other shortcomings, we could surely try changing arrangements such as having error reporting being done in the working-place thread.

2 registered users and 25 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "kassy" is female

Date of registration: Mar 30th 2013

Language Team: Portuguese

Sunday, March 16th 2014, 6:28pm

Edit: This topic is different from the thread's initial topic. Maybe a new thread is in order before we go too far into Welcome messages & other forum issues.
So, going back on topic, as a translator, it would seem natural for me to translate an extra string with that info, if it came in the transcrption already. I´m sure that is the only step needed for that to become a common practice in all language teams, and it makes sense that it starts with the English team.

Quoted

Quoted from nomada: ( grrrr I still don´t know how to work with the quoting thing here)
We still have many people who register but never gets to make a post in
the forum. Is there a technical solution to help them, and incite them,
to make that first post? Many others have made only 1 post also. Maybe
we need to make it easier for them to participate in
translations/proofreading and incite the replies?
And now, the offtopic that became the central issue:

I´m not sure about technical solutions, but I´m almost sure about technical problems. I think I´ve discussed that with @Ray: once. And even yesterday, during my 1st workkshop I got a confirmation of this problem. There seems to be a problem for people actually accessing the forum (loging in) after they register and specially when they try to reset their password. I had that problem, @IsmaRod: had that problem, @PrisMiranda: had that problem, and someone at my lecture about LTI yesterday came to me afterwards saying he had that problem.

And the problem is:

When you forget the password and try to reset, you get a confirmation email with a link and instructions that don´t seem to work… or sometimes take a day or two to work. I imagine a lot of people going through the same process as I did. Not feeling comfortable with the first contact with the forum, just looking around trying to understand it and not leaving any message. I don´t think I have ever started posting on a new forum or platform the exact same day of registration. So I imagine that most people won´t feel comfortable presenting themselves in the 1st time around in a new place.

I believe most of them will look around, feel a bit disorientated with the amount of stuff... and decide they need time and will come back later. And when they come back, if they forgot their password they will try to reset it. If the process doesn´t work... they don´t come back...

I´m not saying this happened to a lot of people but I have already meet 4 cases in the portuguese team alone. But I do know that IsmaRod is IsmaelRodrigues´ second profile here. And Priscila also had to create a second one once she lost access with her 1st one.

I´ve already tried to explain to Ray what is the mail message you get when you reset your password, and what failure occurs when people try
to follow the steps indicated in the mail... I would have to make a test to remember what it is. Or, you guys could do that too on your experiment accounts.

But I think people don´t came back for yet another reason, and this has been told to me a few times too (again, yesterday). People are now used to more dynamic social platforms and they find this forum a bit too slow... without any sort of interaction. And that demotivates people. So, although this sort of instructional stuff we make in order to explain about how people can get around the forum without needing the help of others may be usefull... people do miss the human touch on that process of integration and we should take that into account.

And since we´re talking about testing profiles, I did found some @DiTesting: people on that list @nomada:. :laughing:

3 registered users and 24 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray, IsmaRod

LTI Administration Group

Sunday, March 16th 2014, 7:35pm

Sometimes there are benefits from having a dedicated forum section for a particular activity. In the case of Error Reporting, possible benefits could be shorter thread length, dedicated sticky/important threads specific to that section, more clarity as to which reported errors have been taken care of and which haven't, having it be more easy to direct proofreaders to help with reported errors, and generally not being in the way but rather having separate place for in-depth discussions about possible errors in the transcript.

All those make sense to me, Lizzie. They are positive results but I don't think they are an advantage in relation to having only one location per project, that we share and so help people find/get used to the locations where the projects are; we haven't overcome that scarcity of information yet; the volunteers don't know where to find the projects to translate. And other advantages are that people will cross their ways in the forum more often, participate more, the discussions will be in the corresponding thread and not in several locations, and about tracking which threads have been taken care of, can't we simply turn on that "V = set as done / X = pending review" feature that we have in the error report also in the Open for Translations section?

Quoted from "Ray"

So, going back on topic, as a translator, it would seem natural for me to translate an extra string with that info, if it came in the transcrption already. I´m sure that is the only step needed for that to become a common practice in all language teams, and it makes sense that it starts with the English team.
These topics are so interrelated that it seems to me that they could continue the same :D
It seems that simple to me too, Claudia. We just need to find a way to measure the results so we can adapt/improve on this "last string" strategy later. If we use the forum.linguisticteam.org link in the last string,we surely need to have some more focus into improving this first contact between the newcomers and the information we wish them to reach in the forum. Let me know if you need me to test that "lost your password?" situation, @Ray: and what parameters I should have in attention or make PrintScreens of.

1 registered user and 24 guests thanked already.

kassy

Language Coordinator

Monday, March 17th 2014, 1:40am

Actually, my question is whether there is any way I can be notified when a new member registers in the forum :)

1 registered user and 23 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "Ray" is male

Monday, March 17th 2014, 10:55pm

It turns out that such notification is possible, but it appears to be an 'all or nothing' deal for forum admins.
In other words, if I'm understanding the description correctly, they are sent out to all members set up as forum administrators.
So, I enabled the function, created a new "Admin Group" and moved nearly all LTI Admin Group members from the already existing "Forum Administration" group to that one. This effectively separates those admin group members who are intentionally helping with administration of the forum from those who avoid the more techie stuff and, hopefully, will prevent the non-techies from having their Inboxes loaded up with new registration notices.

Please be aware that the above adjustments have not yet been thoroughly tested to see how well it works, as I'm still looking for any well-hidden switches or levers that can better simplify this setup attempt. In the meantime, if you do receive a new registration notice in your email, please let me know.

nomada

Language Coordinator

Monday, March 17th 2014, 10:58pm

Great! I''ll let you know. Big hugs!

nomada

Social bookmarks

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion