• "Plastic Tree" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 18th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Timestamp Adjustment Team

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 1:47pm

Questions about proofreading/timestamp adjustment

I just want to clarify some issues on the different stages of preparing a video for translation.

Transcription - How much time should be spent ensuring timings are precise and subtitiles are suitable lengths?

Proofreading (1st time) - Should the proofreader watch the video once and correct any errors? Should any errors in timings be corrected here or left for the next stage?

Timestamp adjustment - How is this done? Is it just done using the same interface that is used for transcription? If so is there anyway to make timings more precise or is it just done by second?

Proofreading (2nd time) - Is one watch through of the video enough?

Thanks for the help!

I'd like to start with proofreading/timestamping - could I be added to the proofreaders group please? My dotSub username's plastictree.

Thanks again, Andy :)

27 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 3:58pm

Hey PT, here's how I see it :

In general, the more time you spend on a step in the transcription process, the less work the next person has to do. For example, when the transcription of a video is completed with complete disregard for the LTI guidelines, the amount of work that's required to make the video "guideline compliant" can be multiplied by 5, bearing in mind that the timeshifting process is by far the most time-consuming, and it's naturally the very task that very few people want to do.

That being said, we tried to come up with a system that still allows for people to transcribe without being too hung up on the numerous guidelines

Transcription : as stated in the guidelines, the minimum a transcriber can do is to ensure that strings are shorter than 70 characters (whenever possible, anyway) and that the minimum display time for a subtitle is 1.5 seconds. The respect of these 2 rules alone facilitates the timeshifting work significantly.

Proofreading 1st round : I like to call this round "text scrubbing" because a transcriber doesn't necessarily pay attention to the little details in the sentence or might not be able to transcribe a sentence that the speaker mumbled, amongst other things. The goal of this phase is to tend towards a transcription that's as "final" as possible, so that the timeshifter only has to worry about the presentation of the text itself, and not its contents. 1st round proofreaders don't usually correct timestamps, unless a big chunk of sentence is moved.

Timeshifting : a timeshifter has to make sure that the subtitles respect all the guidelines. He does whatever is necessary to accomplish that goal: shifting timestamps, moving sentences around...

Proofreading 2nd round : depending on the initial quality of the transcription, a timesfhifter might have moved a lot of text around. This is a quality control phase in which the last typos are corrected and to make sure that there aren't any major timestamp issues. One watch might be necessary, but it has to be done thoroughly.

About tools : I found it very hard to do an acceptable job of transcription using dotSUB alone. I work offline using a free piece of software called Visual Sub Sync. I do my transcription or timeshifting, and apply the results on dotSUB. The quality of my work is far better than anything that I could do in dotSUB, since this tool is "tailor made" for us. It even informs us you whether a string's display time is acceptable or not, which means of course that it counts the length of strings and their display time for you !!!

I found that with this tool, the transcription process becomes fun !!!! It's like your playing guitar hero or something, trying to get the sentence right in the minimal amount of time :thumbsup:

Not to mention that you can transcribe really fast and efficiently with such tools. It usually takes me about 3 hours to complete 10 minutes of video, and I'm really careful during the process, so I guess that the 1st round of proofreading and timeshifting phases wouldn't even be necessary if the transcription process was done seriously, and that's why I'm saying that it's super important to respect as much of the guidelines as possible from the onset of the transcription process.

I hope this helps, I'm available on skype (brunodc2011) if you need to delve into some more technical details.

32 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 4:11pm

Hi! :)
Bruno's ton of usng the offlne tool seems to be the best. But to transcribe a video in dotsub you wont be so near that qualty and a carefull timeshifting will be always needed. Then, the transcription and timeshifting should be done by different persons, or it becomes a very heavy task.

On dotsub, to do a good timeshifting, you need to activate the

Click here to try our new advanced timing user interface which is bellow the video transcript on the right of the video. It will allow you to use milliseconds 8)

Great to have you around Andy
hugs,
Rodrigo
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

27 guests thanked already.
  • "Plastic Tree" is male
  • "Plastic Tree" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 18th 2011

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Timestamp Adjustment Team

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 2:17pm

Thanks a lot guys! I'll download that software straight away - I fricking love Guitar Hero!

34 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion