Date of registration: Apr 16th 2015

Language Team: Persian (Farsi)

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Timestamp Adjustment Team
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, June 14th 2015, 5:30am

Is studying comparative linguistics the right path for learning some new languages?

Hello Everyone, :smiley:

First of all, if here is not the proper place to ask this question, please accept my apology and tell me where I should ask it. Thanks in advance.

Despite my deep desires, recently, I have not been able to be active in the LTI Forum for relatively a long time. But during this period, I have been lucky enough to come up with some new ideas about how I can be more beneficial to the world as a whole, and for The Venus Project, in particular. Currently I'm slightly familiar with two and only two languages spoken in our beautiful and unique planet; English and Persian. While being bilingual might be considered a little better than monolingual, I believe that's no good enough. So, I have decided to learn more languages preferably West-European languages (including German, French, Italian, ...) that I think (although I'm not 100% sure) can have a greater influence for transforming the world from an MBE to an RBE. Since like everyone else on the planet, I have limited resources, especially time-wise, I have been thinking about studying comparative linguistics which according to a friend of mine, could help me learn a few new languages faster by enable me to compare them from a linguistic point of view.

All those said, I have two questions:

1. Is this the right path to take for the above-mentioned aim?
  2. Is there any more optimized alternative(s) for achieving the same goal easier and/or faster?
In addition, do you know anyone who might be able to answer those questions better in case you don't have enough information about them?

I have already asked Ray these questions and he has kindly suggested that I use software applications for learning new languages which is a great idea and I'm really grateful to him for his valuable suggestion.

Thank you all in advance. :smiley:

Kind regards,
Alex
Signature from »AlexAnderson2050« _________________________________________________________________
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed;
if in terms of ten years, plant trees;
if in terms of 100 years, teach the people."
~Confucius (551–479 BC), Chinese teacher, editor, politician, and philosopher

32 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion