You are not logged in.

[ Adjusted Since Initial Release ] TBTMCB (8th Edition now) "perpetual" Translate-a-Thon

• "Jagi" is male

Date of registration: Mar 20th 2012

Language Team: Polish

Focus Group: Translator

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 9:11am

Hmm I know that this case is hard to discuss and everyone will have a little different view on it. I agree with all the replies but still I would like to see more stuff to be done and much higher transparency of actions.

If it goes about book let's take example of Federico Pistono. He wrote a great book. At the beginning he was selling it. Now he is submitting its parts one by one in periods of time. He knows that focusing only on earning money won't make book so popular. I remember words of Ben McLeish, it was something like this: "Why even buy the stuff, if there is so much free of them around?". TBTMCB is very important position in books about RBE and it should be free (or partially free) to increase people awareness. I would prefer donation system for TVP instead selling so crucial stuff. I would even donate by myself (I donate wikipedia every year because I see it very important for me, I use it very often and all the people behind it are doing grate job.) if I see that they really spend that money on doing stuff that is worth of doing. We need mass awareness, and not many people read books. I was delighted when I heard about feature movie that they're planning and I hope they will finish it. I think there will always be people that want to donate especially in crowd-funding times.

I hope that Jacque's book will be free one day. For now, I have a lot of work in other projects so I will wait a little with decision on what to do with translation.

Keep doing good work guys and take care :)

3 registered users and 109 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray, Ana, benzaiten

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 7:05pm

Hi guys,

I thought I'd just share a few observations of mine here.

1) Making a post in which you share what troubles you is great. I wish more people would do this. If you have a marriage and you don't share what you see as problematic with your partner, where will that lead the relationship? You can't be sustainable without sharing and acting upon things, in my opinion.

2) What good does comparing people bring us? I find it abhorrent that, in a voluntary environment, someone would assess what person X has done and compare that to what person Y has done. I find it much more intelligent to look at myself and try to give the best I can, and share with others how I'm able to contribute in ways that I'm happy with (if I can contribute in such ways), rather than to look at other people and assess them.

3) Making statements as to what someone has done limits us to what we've been able to observe. Maybe today you have done ten things, but I know of only one of them. Making statements also shows how we evaluate the things we observe. On the other hand, asking questions is open-ended. By asking a questions we recognize our limited knowledge and we seek to expand it. With expanded knowledge we are better able to make a decision about something.

That's all. Thanks. :)

4 registered users and 107 guests thanked already.

Ana, nomada, Ray, benzaiten

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 9:44pm

That's all?!! I would say that is EVERYTHING!! Thanks Lizie, for such enlightening ideas :bighug:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 106 guests thanked already.

Ana

Public Relations Group

Friday, June 21st 2013, 1:35am

Facebook event for the 1st Translation Marathon ; )

Here is the event and an intro text ; ) Help spread it by inviting friends and posting it in platforms from your specific language.

'The Best That Money Can't Buy’ is a book with hugely important content for humanity. Run this Crowd-source Translation Marathon with us. Everyone can participate by translating a minimum of one page during that period.
Make your part to let this book available in as many languages as possible for the next printed edition.

Check "HOW TO GET INVOLVED" in the event description (http://on.fb.me/14lTILR : )
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

4 registered users and 97 guests thanked already.

Ray, DionisOdam, Ana, benzaiten

• "Ana" is female

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Serbian Team

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, June 22nd 2013, 7:36pm

Serbian team has only 2 members, is it still "delicately small team" as Ray said on the last meeting? I hope that after this month of Translate-a Thon, teams will be aloud to continue or even start with translation.

Hugs to all

1 registered user and 93 guests thanked already.

nomada

Public Relations Group

Sunday, June 23rd 2013, 4:46pm

TBTMCB translate-a-thon - Teams that are short numbered

No worries Ana! After the 1st Translate-a-thon we will surely do another one and those teams that aren't finished can finish and others that haven't started can join ; )

3 registered users and 118 guests thanked already.

Ana, brunodc, Ray

• "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Sunday, June 30th 2013, 1:51am

"Final Stretch" Stats Update:
  • There are now 67 confirmed volunteers for the project, and several NDAs still outstanding (awaiting return).
  • Not counting English (which is already ready already), there are currently 22 translation languages represented!

• The following languages have only one or two volunteers so far. If you know any multi-linguists in any of these languages, please help make them aware of the project so these folks don't end up burning themselves out. ♥
    • Arabic
    • Bahasa
    • Brazilian
    • Chinese
    • Danish
    • Dutch
    • Finnish (2)
    • Hebrew
    • Macedonian
    • Polish (2)
    • Russian (2)
    • Serbian (2)
    • Swedish (2)
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

6 registered users and 91 guests thanked already.

Ana, DionisOdam, Yayita, kassy, Calvetmaria, benzaiten

• "Ray" is male

Monday, July 1st 2013, 5:25pm

One by one, I am now making the individual language team folders available to the project coordinators. Team members, please be patient. Once this part is out of the way, we can finally get this party rockin'! :rocknroll:

I want to be clear that the start of the project does not mean that the doors are now closed to anyone wanting to help. It just means that you are missing the start of it. I will continue to handle all NDA requests throughout the entire month, so if there is something that is temporarily holding you back, consider joining the phun once your free-time allows it. :loveya: :love:

Edit: We are now up to 75 volunteers, but still too many teams with only one or two members! Please help spread the word

Much Love & Respect to all of you Wonderful People!
Ray

8 registered users and 104 guests thanked already.

nomada, Fikcija, sarjuva, petrumila, Andre13, Nacer, peppe, kassy

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, July 2nd 2013, 9:31am

Ok, my Welcome to the Party" message has now gone out to all of the folks who do not have a dedicated project manager (17 people across 10 languages) and at least one of them is now working on their first translation page. ^^
You can see if you are among them by looking to see if there is a manager listed for your language in the Team Formation spreadsheet.

In the email, I mentioned that I have created a Skype group for anyone who wants a more 'real-time' connection with me & Rodrigo, but I then forgot to include my Skype username. So, for those who want to connect with the Skype group, my Skype username is gmanzm. Connect with me and let me know that you want to be added to the group.

For everyone else:
If you haven't already, all remaining members should be receiving something directly from your individual project managers as soon as they get some basic advice & your team's resources from me. If anyone does not hear anything from their project manager by, say, the end of Wednesday/middle of Thursday, please let me know right here.

3 registered users and 90 guests thanked already.

petrumila, nomada, Nacer

Date of registration: Jul 2nd 2013

Language Team: Portugues

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, July 5th 2013, 12:40pm

Hello i have found a saite pretty good to translate the cientific jargon that it might help plenty of us as it is helping me.

http://pt.bab.la/dicionario/ingles-portugues/development

this particular link is to translate form inglish to portuguese, you might change it there.

hope it helps =)

3 registered users and 96 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray, kassy

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 3:40am

For all volunteers for The Best That Money Can't Buy translate-a-thon:

There are quite a few situations of volunteers, from the teams that don't have a project manager and so are guided by Ray and sometimes me, who didn't reply to the 1st email and/or didn't start working on the sheet that was shared with them. Ray already sent an email to all to try to help them connect with the translation collaboration, and some of you that are managing this project in any of the language teams might want to do the same if you have similar situations (volunteers that never started nor replied yet).

The situations to solve and help them join can be: email without google account associated with it; emails or
shared sheets ending up in spam or trash folders or even lost in their inboxes; Not so clear information about how the project develops and how they can participate and/or busy lives not helping in all these situations.

If this sheet is updated, there are 131 volunteers translating into 26 languages, until the moment. It is never too late to join the party ; )
http://bit.ly/13KEsLShugs!! :peace:

3 registered users and 96 guests thanked already.

petrumila, Ray, benzaiten

• "Ray" is male

Wednesday, August 28th 2013, 2:24pm

As mentioned already in Facebook, the TBTMCB project is still going strong (the initial deadline was basically extended to 'as long as it takes').
There are still some teams that only have one or two people striving to get this big book done, so please consider joining &/or share the project info within your circles.

The current Language Team structures

4 registered users and 96 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, petrumila, nomada, benzaiten

• "Ray" is male

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 1:58am

Important TBTMCB Update (especially for language group project managers):

The text surrounding the various images included throughout the book were not included in the original document that the project was created from, so I am creating an additional page (or more, depending on the amount of additional text) and adding it to the end of each language group's files. I have also noted this in the Facebook Event and the shared Proofreading Issues spreadsheet that I hope you are all referencing often to make sure something you're translating/proofreading hasn't been adjusted.

If you have any questions, please post them right here in the project's forum thread.

Much Love and Big Hugs

2 registered users and 97 guests thanked already.

nomada, zedom

• "xakx" is female

Date of registration: Apr 22nd 2014

Language Team: Norwegian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 6:32pm

I would also really like to volunteer for this project, translating it into Norwegian if it still needs it. I see it's a bit old.
But then I need some guidance because Imma fresh baked newbie here and I recently just discovered how to reply to threads :P
any help, tips or advice is very appreciated !

Namaste. :fc-waii:

1 registered user and 94 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Wednesday, April 23rd 2014, 11:23pm

Unlike most forums, most LTI projects are perpetual. While a number of languages may have a project completed, there are many more than may not have even started it.

TBTMCB project is a big one and very few language teams have it completed. Norwegian appears to have it fully translated, which is basically the 'easy part'. They have recently turned their attention to proofreading the translations, which we do twice, followed by a final review by the project coordinator, to help ensure accuracy & consistency. If you'd like to get involved, follow the instructions in the first post of the thread and I'll get you set up. ^^

96 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion