You are not logged in.

[ Adjusted Since Initial Release ] TBTMCB (8th Edition now) "perpetual" Translate-a-Thon

• "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Monday, May 12th 2014, 4:55pm

Latest important update on the TBTMCB Translate-a-thon:

As a few teams are closing in on the end of their proofreading, it's come to attention that the Preface and closing Index are 'missing' from the content within the project. The missing Index is fully intentional, as it would be massively difficult to adjust all of the page numbers to each of the translations. The opening Preface, however, was put on hold until Roxanne had the chance to make some last-minute adjustments to it (they have been super-focused on completing the first installment of The Choice Is Ours, TVP's upcoming three-part documentary that should be LTI's hands shortly). Those adjustments have been completed, so I will be adding one more page to the project across all languages. Most strings are quite short, so this should be a very easy one to bring up to whatever stage the rest of the project is at for your language group. ^^

Edit:
I am also going to add the relatively small amount of text from the back cover of the book, as it contains several quotes from well-respected people like Arthur C Clarke, Paul G Hewitt, Frank Ogden, etc.. These will be in a second new translation page.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

2 registered users and 157 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

zedom, rock3r

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Tuesday, May 13th 2014, 11:42am

Hooray! Time to kick this baby out of our ways!
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 161 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Sunday, October 4th 2015, 11:13pm

Hi everyone!

I am currently reconstructing the entire TBTMCB Translate-a-thon, based on the system that Ben created for our last TCIO T-a-t.
This new layout/system also now has the book broken up in paragraphs, which should be significantly easier to work with.
The best part of this is that I've added a few new features to the system that will now allow us to keep 'in step' with all future editions, with very little effort required beyond each team's initial translation release (so, if you compelte your translation & proofreading tasks for the 7th edition, bringing it up to date with the future 8th, 9th, 10th, etc. editions will be VERY easy). ;)

At the time of this post, Slovenian has been converted to the new TBTMCB system and is now moving through their Final Review before their translation becomes published.
Norwegian is also in the new system, bringing their already finalized 6th Edition up to date with the master version of the book (which is now beyond the 7th edition) before they release it for publishing.
Portuguese (Portugal) is next for converting & bringing their finalized 6th Edition up to date with the master.

The following languages have already completed & published or are very close to completing their 6th edition translation within the old system:
Hebrew
Russian
German
Greek
Romanian

If any of the project managers of the teams above would like to be next for upgrading (both the system AND the edition) and getting it out to the rest of the world, please quickly connect with me via PM or Skype (gmanzm). If I get no 'takers' within a few days, my next post will focus on the next level of project completion languages (those currently proofreading their completed translations). ;)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ray" (Oct 7th 2015, 5:51am)

101 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 9:58am

Hi Everyone!

Well, it's been quite a while since I last posted to this thread. I'm quite happy to report that the project is still moving along well for most of the teams, even moreso since it was converted to the more automated system. A handful of Teams even have the project fully completed, as I will detail below.

Equally exciting is that we successfully migrated the project from the 6th to the 7th Edition about 1.5 years ago. Well, it's that time again, so:

TBTMCB has just been bumped up to the 8th Edition! :rock:

This 'bump' consists of roughly 100 adjustments to the TBTMCB text, ranging from the simplest (a missing comma) all the way up to a restructuring of the Education and Environment sections "lists".

Even more exciting is that the master template for converting finalized TBTMCB translations into their equivalent 'book' format is nearly complete (hopefully finalized within the next week or so), which means that the Teams that they will soon be made available on the TVP website!! :party:

These are the languages that I am aware have fully completed/finalized their translation:
English (obviously, but now at the 8th edition)
Greek
Norwegian
Portuguese
Serbian
Slovenian

Soon to be followed by:
Brazilian Portuguese
Slovak

A bit further behind those above, but moving strong:
Spanish
Swedish

I will update this list as more teams become 'close'. :loveya:

In the meantime, it is very important that any/all teams (especially those that have it completed or their proofreading nearly completed) to move through the project to identify and adjust their translations to the latest refinements associated with the new 8th Edition. Every change is marked by an "8th" displayed in the D column (REV = Revision), so they should be very easy to recognize, and a Final Reviewer moving through the entire project should be able to bring the entire project up to date in about an hour or two.

If the spreadsheets that you are working with do not show edition revisions in column D, please make me aware, as it means your team has not yet been upgraded to the newer 'semi-automated' system.

Also, if anyone wants to promote the need for more people to help their team complete the project, simply pass them the NDA Form link, https://goo.gl/a9yRrU, to fill in and I will happily guide them into your team.

My deepest appreciation and respect to all of you!
- Ray :love:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ray" (Jul 1st 2017, 11:21pm)

2 registered users and 14 guests thanked already.

zedom, Federico Lambrés

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion