You are not logged in.

[ Adjusted Since Initial Release ] [PRIORITY] Future by Design (2006)

Date of registration: Nov 24th 2011

Language Team: German

Focus Group: Translator

Friday, January 17th 2014, 10:00am

Due to the very precise work of ossi11111 the list of error-reportings got quite long.

Question: who is the one native-speaking evaluating and implimenting these suggested corrections into the transcription?

1 registered user and 54 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Friday, January 17th 2014, 12:27pm

Hi Franky,

Actually, there is no one person designated to this task. Usually an experienced English proofreader volunteers to do this and goes through Error Reporting threads that need evaluation.

This is something that we really can use some help with. One person has to evaluate the error reports and another has to actually apply the changes to the transcript. Due to very high load on administrators, this aspect of the system gets delayed, and it really shouldn't.

The thing is, the people doing this have to be really careful and with attention to detail, and preferably with a high level of English. Not that common. :/

2 registered users and 44 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "ossi11111" is male

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2013

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Friday, January 17th 2014, 12:59pm

You can find the error-reporting franky was talking about here: [dotSUB Typo] Future By Design transcript errors
Signature from »ossi11111« Willst du beim Übersetzen mithelfen?
E-Mail an: GermanLingTeam@gmail.com

Bisher veröffentlichte Videos mit deutschen Untertiteln:
GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 36 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, January 17th 2014, 8:24pm

Due to the very precise work of ossi11111 the list of error-reportings got quite long.

Question: who is the one native-speaking evaluating and implimenting these suggested corrections into the transcription?

It has taken me a few years to realize that there is no 'one native-speaking evaluating and implementing these suggested corrections'. That's what we mean by 'team effort' in LTI and in the RBE future. There is no way 'one' or even 'two' native-speakers can do anything because we are all volunteers who do the best we can. We must become educated to the fact that we are ONE TEAM, and we rely on each other to succeed, never just one person.

Let's help each other become the best we can be. Let's become ONE TEAM.
Much love to everyone who does anything at all-- (as @Nomada says: "Every little bit helps."),
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, January 18th 2014, 9:19am

I have a question. Why do these error-report threads exist, if there is no-one implementing the changes? Please don't get me wrong. I am not trying to offend anyone, I just think that people should know what things we can do and what we can't do. It's not bad to say that you can't do something. Not saying it can be harmful because for example someone (like Ossi in this case) may think that someone is performing a task, so he tries to facilitate it without knowing that no-one has undertaken this task. Moreover, by showing what you can't do, members are more aware of what the team needs, and how they can contribute. For example, if Franky had not asked or Diana hadn't responded, I would still not know that there is no-one implementing these changes.

I guess the bigger point I am trying to make here is that if we need help, we should let everybody know from the beginning. Frankly, when I first came here, I saw the forum and the wiki and all the other tools and the people, and I thought that everything is working perfect, meaning that you guys don't need help so much. For many tasks I thought "Oh, someone is probably going to take care of it". It may be my mistake, but that's the feeling I got when I first came here. I am just giving to you as a feedback (I am mainly addressing the more committed members) because you may give the same feeling to all the other new-comers, who might help a little if they know there was a dire need for it. And don't expect them to speak their minds because our society conditions us not to.

I have seen it happening quite often in activism. We pay so much attention to detail in designing our tools - this forum for example is unbelievably extensive and all-encompassing - that a new-comer who sees all that may think that we don't need help. And he/she is not going to ask if we need help because we are not conditioned to. I've seen it many a time in the Greek team and TZM that someone after a long time says to us "I didn't know that you needed help with that. You didn't tell. I could have helped if I knew".

Please take it as a friendly tip.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

4 registered users and 41 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman, FrankySnatra, Di Anna, Ray

• "ossi11111" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Saturday, January 18th 2014, 1:53pm

There is no way 'one' or even 'two' native-speakers can do anything because we are all volunteers who do the best we can. We must become educated to the fact that we are ONE TEAM, and we rely on each other to succeed, never just one person.

The idea was, that a native speaker has greater language skills than non-native speakers and is able to tell, whether the suggested corrections are valid.

I'm proposing the following:
Whoever reads this text goes to [dotSUB Typo] Future By Design transcript errors and writes down there, if the corrections are okay. If they are not okay, please give reasons, why they are not and how they would be correct.

If enough of you did that (even if you are non-native speakers) I will implement the corrections in DotSub.
I hope, that's a valid way to go and you start right now by going to the thread and post what you found out there. I'm looking forward to that. Thank you in advance.

And just a friendly tip by me: Less talk and more action. ;)

GermanLingTeam - YouTube

2 registered users and 41 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra, Ray

Date of registration: Nov 24th 2011

Saturday, January 18th 2014, 3:15pm

lizardman, Christos Pap. and Ossi11111 are really making some valid points here - and I'm very thankful for that.

To make it short: I agree with lizardman that this task is something that needs to be done by a pro, I thank Christos for his analysis which I agree and for the solutionsorientated proposal by Ossi11111 and supporting it.

We could create an open Pad where we list all error-reportings and write down if we agree or not - link the dictionary and other sources to unterline your points.

In the german team we do the task of proofreading in open-pads and bring the suggestions and corrections in here to avoid aswell that we create an endless thread of discussion in the forum.

So we could use an open Pad for these error-Reportings here aswell. http://pad.tzm-deutschland.de/p/JF-FBD-Error-Reporting

Di Anna's important point should be respected continuously, that with this task a high level of precision is needed (see lizardman's comment aswell). Therefore nothing will be done with the Original-Transcript in dotsub until ALL points were be seen by a careful working native-speaker who brings his or her skills in. The url of the open pad can be passed around to LTI-newbees who wants to help, so nothing can be damaged with the existing project.

In my perspective, it doesn't need a large sized team to fulfill this task. It's a question of competence - nothing more: There's only one correct grammar rule, one dictionary for english language beside only one soundfile from the movie which we use, so it's more our task to bring as much competent ears and eyes as possible in this project to receive the best transcript we can get.

This should be our challenge to get these resources (competent and skilled people) - not just silently, patiently waiting here for just a few native-speakers to have a nervous breakdown just because they are not asking for help.

And by the way: Christos' points are very much valid, that there seems not only be an too complex forum developed, where new people might think that there's no way to perticipate, but there are joining so many people the LTI-facebook-group and just the same people over and over are here in the forum actually working on things. This situation is something we should consider as a sign to develop more efficient processes and methods.

Thank you all for taking care of this topic.
I'm really happy to have this respectful discussion here, because this kind communication in the only way to move forward with this project

Much Love

-f

2 registered users and 39 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "ossi11111" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Sunday, January 19th 2014, 4:12pm

@Christos Pap.:
@Di Anna:
@lizardman:
Will you look into it? Until now there has nobody participated.
If I am estimating in a very conservative fashion, it will not take more than an hour - probably far less.
Just write down your suggestions here: http://pad.tzm-deutschland.de/p/JF-FBD-Error-Reporting
If everything is okay in your opinion, just write that down in the beginning of the document.
Thank you very much.

GermanLingTeam - YouTube

2 registered users and 40 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, January 19th 2014, 7:55pm

I'm making my way through it. So far everything looks fine, but I need more time, if you want me to give it a careful eye.
Hope this little bit helps.
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

3 registered users and 41 guests thanked already.

ossi11111, FrankySnatra, Ray

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, January 19th 2014, 8:32pm

Got your back, Di. I will do the rest.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

3 registered users and 37 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, FrankySnatra, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion