You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Monday, May 6th 2013, 3:40pm

Nice news!! This is pending Final Review then :thumbup:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 30 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, January 26th 2014, 9:31pm

Starting Final Review.

2 registered users and 24 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 2:18am

ZDay 2013 - Peter Joseph - History of Economic Thought

Christos Pap. wrote: If you leave it like that and add sic at the end, I am not sure whether it will be understood by the viewers. According to the guidelines we are allowed to change the grammar if the original has typos or is ungrammatical and not understood. Unless you think there is a reason to leave it this way...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anybody else want to chime in on this?

Peter is quoting Veblen ...

""A gang of Aleutian Islanders slashingabout in the wrack and surf with rakes and magical incantations for the cap-ture of shell-fish are held, in point of taxonomic reality, to be engaged in afeat of hedonistic equilibration in rent, wages, and interest."

Would you change the spelling to the current diction, or leave it as is and add [sic] at the end?

:wonder:

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 3:53pm

Okay...
The 'correct' answer would be as follows:

If not used verbatim, any alterations must be clearly marked, i.e. [square brackets] for added or replacement text, an ellipsis (...) for removed text, and emphasis noted after the quotation as "[emphasis added]" or "[emphasis in the original]". Exceptions are trivial spelling or typographical errors that obviously do not affect the intended meaning; these may be silently corrected or may be retained and marked with " [sic]".

Sources: Gregg's Reference Manual, Wikipedia

Hope that helps. I think Suze use of [sic] is correct.

Regarding the spelling of 'labour' vs. 'labor'. Our Guideline is to use the spelling that is 'proper' to the locale of the video production. In this case, it would be American, so 'labor' would be the choice for this video.

Sometimes, those Final Reviews can take a LONG time. Don't get frustrated, Suze. This is why we all need more training/tutorials/collaboration/communication on every level from English transcription to Final Reviewing. If we get everyone focusing on the details as does the Final Reviewer, our quality and speed will improve.

((TEAM HUGS))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

3 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

Suze, Borislav/lizardman, Ray

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Monday, February 3rd 2014, 9:37pm

""A gang of Aleutian Islanders slashingabout in the wrack and surf with rakes and magical incantations for the cap-ture of shell-fish are held, in point of taxonomic reality, to be engaged in afeat of hedonistic equilibration in rent, wages, and interest."

Given that the raw text was provided directly by someone other than its originator (PJ), it stands to reason that any representation of someone else's quote has the potential of being incomplete or otherwise not properly presenting the original.
In its place, consider pulling the properly formatted quote from another source, such as Veblen's own writing.
Google Books
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

1 registered user and 23 guests thanked already.

Suze

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, February 5th 2014, 4:18pm

Z-Day 2013 - PJ "History of Economic Thought"

Thanks for that link to 'Books' Ray. It came in very handy :-). It never occured to me to use this to verify quotes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a few questions before I finish the final review. Appreciate any wisdom you may wish to share (for these particular issues and for future reference).

(final changes are on VSS, but I've transferred these lines to DotSub so you can see what I mean)

480 00:29:48,675 --> 00:29:50,793
"You will always have the poor among you..."
~ Matthew 26:1

This is not spoken, but shown on Peter's visual aid. He pauses on the video while the quote is showing on the screen. My problem is that it shows up as "Too Fast" on the timeline. Attaching part of the previous line looks odd and still comes out "A bit fast". (Not possible to incorporate any of the following line). Because it's on a visual aid, it should really be on its own, otherwise the subtitle becomes a bit confusing.

00:29:47,595 --> 00:29:50,793
in the Bible. "You will always have the poor among you..."
~ Matthew 26:1

Question: Is it ok to leave it as 'TOO FAST' in this instance? (My preference would be to leave it as is.)

Also,

In segments where there is [laughter] or [applause] , do I only show a 'Perfect' or 'Good' length, or can I leave the caption on for the uration of the 'laughter' or 'applause'? It will then show as "TOO SLOW", but looks better. - does that matter in this case, other than screwing up my stats?

And,

I am more focused on creating perfect/good strings than on starting the subtitle precisely where the speaker begins speaking. Is this acceptable? My thinking is that an uncomfortable read is more disturbing than a pause between when the subtitle appears and the speaker begins.

Plus,

:fc-confident: Peter talks VERY fast. The time between strings had to be reduced below 100ms in some cases. Trusting this is acceptable.

Thanks all! :)

4 registered users and 24 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada, Borislav/lizardman, Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, February 5th 2014, 10:08pm

Hi Suze,

Thought I might share my thoughts on this one.

First of all, I don't think it makes sense for us to leave strings that are too fast to be read. There's not much point in having such strings in the first place. That being said, I checked the "You will always have the poor among you..." string and it seems to me that you can 'steal' a bit of time from the next few strings. Taking 100-200ms from, say, each of the next two strings, might be all that is needed to make the string in question more readable. I would definitely take just a bit from a few strings rather than, say, 500ms from a single string, unless it is one that appears for a long time (4-5 seconds).

If there is an applause for several seconds, I might leave an [applause] string for, say, a few seconds. It does indeed look better. Generally, the software tools for subtitle analysis assist us, but don't determine what we do. They only know to divide character length by time, nothing more. We can use them as an objective statistic, but we are the ones who can evaluate a specific situation and determine what is best in the given case. And the more experienced we become in string structuring and time manipulation, the better our decisions are.

I am more focused on creating perfect/good strings than on starting the subtitle precisely where the speaker begins speaking. Is this acceptable? My thinking is that an uncomfortable read is more disturbing than a pause between when the subtitle appears and the speaker begins.
I would definitely agree with that. Of course, there is a limitation to this. I've started before or after the speech for up to 500ms on some occasions, when there is nothing else to do. But generally, a couple of hundred ms here and there does the trick. And if you do it more intelligently - spreading it over a few strings - it's not even noticeable.

2 registered users and 22 guests thanked already.

Suze, Ray

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, February 7th 2014, 10:48pm

ZDay 2013 - Peter Joseph - History of Economic Thought

Final review is complete. Ready to be transferred to translation.... or final final review.

:thumbsup:

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman, Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, December 13th 2014, 8:44pm

So following up here, what's the dispo on this guy? Suze FR-ed and blessed it 10 months ago above. Can it be marked complete and opened for translation?
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, December 16th 2014, 1:12am

Another FR?

It seems like Suze was asking for another FR? If you guys think so, I'll give it a last look and then mark it complete.
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 23 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion