• "sydstf" is male
  • "sydstf" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2011

Language Team: Chinese

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 1:51pm

Information about the restriction of the Vimeo website

Dear members of all linguistic team,

I'm the member of the Chinese chapter, and I used to upload our Chinese versions to Vimeo. However, recently I uploaded the Chinese subtitled version of ZMF, but soon my whole Vimeo account was deleted by Vimeo staff. Here is their response, and I hope all of you can take a look at it as below:

"Hi Albert,

I'm familiar with the Zeitgeist series, and I understand that you are not violating the copyright of the film by uploading it. Unfortunately, since you did not create the film, uploading it to Vimeo still violates our community guidelines, which prohibit uploading anything you did not create yourself. While I understand that translation and subtitling is difficult work, we do not allow people to upload videos they merely subtitled. Sorry about that, have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Jimmy Heffernan"

That is to say, be careful with all of your Vimeo accounts because it says that they only allow users to upload completely original films, and even subtitled films without the issue of copyright are not qualified as long as you're not the original filmmaker of films you upload.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Ray" (Jul 25th 2017, 3:52pm) with the following reason: converted post to Announcement to share with all teams.

2 registered users and 102 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray, kton36369

• "Ana" is female

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Serbian Team

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 9:03am

And the other one you've mentioned on FB? That one that works :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ana" (Jul 20th 2011, 9:28am)

1 registered user and 124 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 9:16am

And teh other one you've mentioned on FB? That one that works :)
Right, it's the second account I applied for with another email address. Hopefully it won't be "caught" by the staff of Vimeo again. Now I recommend another new place which seems to be a good place to store subtitled works of all other linguistic teams.

http://www.archive.org/

This one allows you to upload almost all formats of digital materials WITHOUT TIME LIMIT and SIZE LIMIT since it looks like a formal organization sponsored by academic or governmental institution. If you're interested, perhaps you can take a look at this website. I already uploaded another high quality Chinese version of ZMF waiting to be converted on-line. :thumbsup:

1 registered user and 112 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ana" is female

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Serbian Team

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 8:23pm

I thought about this one:

"Dear all, since Vimeo is no longer a safe place to store subtitled works, I began to find other sites yesterday by Google. Then I came across this article: http://studentmovies.blogspot.​com/". (Was this your post on Facebook?) If it is working...

2 registered users and 108 guests thanked already.

Aldi96, Ray

• "sydstf" is male

Thursday, July 21st 2011, 5:15am

I thought about this one:

"Dear all, since Vimeo is no longer a safe place to store subtitled works, I began to find other sites yesterday by Google. Then I came across this article: http://studentmovies.blogspot.​com/". (Was this your post on Facebook?) If it is working...
Yes, it's my post on Facebook. I now use the website of Internet Archive instead.

2 registered users and 90 guests thanked already.

Ana, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2017
Context In Motion