• "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 12:09am

Pootle updating of TVP & TZM website content

Hi Everyone! :love:
I am starting to go through the back-end of the TVP website, looking specifically for anything that has changed since the last time I updated our Pootle templates for the site's contents. Somewhat obviously, any new pages I find will cause the creation of new PO files that will not yet be translated (so if your team has it currently translated at 100%, that will drop a bit). However, if anything on an already existing page or text-containing module has changed, it will certainly affect any translations already created in Pootle for that element's content.

While there may be exceptions that I am not aware of, here is how Pootle is designed to handle such modifications to its template files for a project:
  • If only some wording has been modified, the affected strings are automatically marked as Fuzzy by Pootle so that translators can quickly go through them and make adjustments to bring them up to date.
  • If something new has been added that displaces/pushes at least some of the already existing text below it, those new items become untranslated strings somewhere in the middle of the PO file that will also need to be translated.
  • If something has been removed completely, already existing translations for those strings will also automatically disappear.
  • Under certain circumstances (such as a rearranging of the info on a page), some changes to the templates could cause some or all of the translations to be removed, even though some or all of the info they belong to is still part of the page (but in a different location of it). I make complete backups of ALL translations prior to doing these updates, so I will be able to provide you with those translations to be Pasted into the proper strings in their new order if this happens. Please note that, if that happens to any PO file, I will post an update in this thread and it will be up to each team to actually request it, as we do not yet have a more automated method for handling this aspect.

Please subscribe to this thread to be kept up to date. If there are any questions or concerns about any of this, please post a Reply to this thread.

P.S. Once TVP has been updated, I plan to go through TZM and see what content is most likely to avoid any short-term changes and update those in Pootle, as well.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

56 guests thanked already.
  • "Diana" is female

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator

Saturday, October 1st 2011, 10:53am

Hi!

After the update of the TVP site in Pootle, in the original file we found a paragraph written in Spanish, not in English.
I checked for it in some sections for the other languages and it's in Spanish, too: vp entrevista con Jacque Fresco, i.e. vp interview with Jacque Fresco.

Locations: templates/vp_entrevista-con-jackue-news.html p:4

Do we all share the same original file?

yes, I'm in a funky mood today and wish everyone has a nice weekend!

52 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Monday, November 21st 2011, 8:08am

The original "vp_entrevista-con-jackue-news" TVP page was written in Spanish. The Spanish Team has since translated/proofread it into English and it should now be showing in English both in Pootle and at TVP. :roe:

45 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Monday, November 21st 2011, 8:09am

On a very important related note, that initial update seems to have produced an unexpected issue where a few strings across maybe 10 of the PO files have oddly migrated into other language sections. As a result, you might discover an odd string here or there that is currently translated into a language other than your own. I suspect a server host glitch, but have no way to verify that.

Regardless, Borislav has been manually going through all of the TVP PO files across all 83 language sections and making the necessary translation swap repairs wherever possible. That's a LOT of work, so please spread some :loveya: on him the next time you have an opportunity.

Although we believe we have all of the very recent backups needed to recover all of these oddly nomadic strings, there is naturally a slight chance that one or more language sections may have lost one or more strings that were already translated in this glitch. If that is the case, we will make sure that the given team is made well aware of that so they can go back in and retranslate/proofread that particular string or strings.

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

brunodc

• "Ray" is male

Sunday, December 18th 2011, 4:06pm

With the above described 'glitch' now repaired, we are turning attention back to the TVP website to update those PO files that existed prior to the upgrade of the site.

Changes within the older pages (the ones that existed prior to the website's recent rebuild) necessitate an update of only that content within Pootle. We will first conduct an experiment outside of the project to see how these updates will affect already existing translations and then use that knowledge to plan and execute the update within the project.
Please subscribe to this forum thread to be kept up to date on the progress. To subscribe to a thread, open the thread and click on the "Add to favorites" link near the bottom of the resulting page. You also have the option to subscribe to entire forum sections. 8o

1 registered user and 71 guests thanked already.

Sue

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, December 20th 2011, 12:44pm

Hi everyone,

Me and Ray are currently going through some cleaning of TVP's site in Pootle. That is the first step of several we will be taking. So, when you discover that some PO files are gone - don't be alarmed. :) We want everything to be clean and the non-relevant stuff out of our way, and that's why we're doing this cleaning.

The next steps will focus on bringing the PO files up to date to fully reflect what is in the Venus Project website. Like Ray said, some experiments will be conducted to see how the updating will reflect what we already have translated.

Stay tuned!

3 registered users and 51 guests thanked already.

Diana, Sue, Ray

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, December 28th 2011, 2:49pm

A total of 23 files have been removed. Here is the list:

vp_3d-production-design-toolkit.pot
vp_about.po
vp_course-selection.pot
vp_donate.po
vp_draw.po
vp_free-ebooks.po
vp_linguisticteam-toolkit.po
vp_marketing-team-toolkit.po
vp_media-archives.pot
vp_recommended.pot
vp_site-updates.po
vp_submit-a-video-tutorial.pot
vp_submit-an-audio-tutorial.pot
vp_support-teams-toolkit.po
vp_the-venus-project-seminars-tours.pot
vp_tvp-high-res-print-media-files.po
vp_tvp-movie-donations (mod).pot
vp_writing-team-toolkit.pot
vp_tvpcommunity-college-news.pot
vp_tvpuniversity-news.pot
vp_video-library.po
vp_welcome.po
vp_z-moving-forward.po

If you had translated any of these and you need the translation, it can be recovered for you. These are mostly files with small content, but nevertheless, there may be something valuable inside them. Please note that the file vp_about.po (which has been removed) is the same as vp_the-venus-project.po, with just a few small differences. If you had the first one translated and you now have the second one empty, we can get that translation for you to put there. :)

P.S. There are more files to go.

1 registered user and 65 guests thanked already.

brunodc

• "Ana" is female

Language Team: Serbian Team

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Friday, December 30th 2011, 12:38am

how the ... I can follow this thread? I don't see it anywhere.... Sorry, guys :)

45 guests thanked already.
  • "Diana" is female

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2011

Language Coordinator

Friday, December 30th 2011, 11:17pm

Hi Ana!
just add it to your favorites using the link at the end of this page, on the right with a bright green icon.
You can also decide which forums to follow, that means you'll be notified with an email when new threads are added. Here is the how-to-do.

kisses :)

2 registered users and 42 guests thanked already.

Ana, Ray

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, August 7th 2012, 2:28pm

Hi folks,

Here is a list of 15 more files that are gonna be removed from the TVP's website project in Pootle:

vp_banners.po
vp_calendar-2011.po
vp_Designing the Future - Audio.po
vp_entrevista-con-jackue-news.po
vp_expressions-media-news.po
vp_global-teams-news.po
vp_pangea-news.po
vp_recent-radio-interviews-news.po
vp_tvpactivism-news.po
vp_tvpcore-teams-more.po
vp_tvpcore-teams.po
vp_tvpdesign-news.po
vp_tvpdesign-teams-more.po
vp_tvpdesign-teams.po
vp_tvpsupport-teams.po

2 registered users and 51 guests thanked already.

Ana, nomada

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 6:32pm

And another batch of 15 files that are going to be removed from TVP's website section in Pootle over the next days/weeks:

vp_brochures.pot
vp_downloads.pot
vp_flyers.pot
vp_fp-major-motion-picture-fund.pot
vp_free-dvd-downloads.pot
vp_logo.pot
vp_modules.pot
vp_posters.pot
vp_presentations.pot
vp_section-1-overview.pot
vp_section-2-resource-based-economy.pot
vp_section-3-social-design.pot
vp_section-4-technology.pot
vp_tvpcore-teams-full.po
vp_tvpsupport-teams-more.po

2 registered users and 50 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ana

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 7:32pm

What will happen with the translations that are incomplete or unproofread and so?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 52 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, March 20th 2013, 6:56pm

The reason these .po files are being removed is because they no longer reflect the content that is on the site. So, we don't want people wasting efforts in translating them. As for the translations of these .po files, they are preserved, so if someone sees any use for them, they can be retrieved anytime.

3 registered users and 46 guests thanked already.

Ana, Ray, benzaiten

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, October 13th 2013, 9:59pm

Hi! What's the situation on the new TVP website? Can we upload our languages translations already? Just curious when I saw French and Bulgarian were in the selections.

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 46 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "benzaiten" is male

Date of registration: Nov 25th 2012

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, October 14th 2013, 12:17am

I had the same curiosity, Rodrigo :wonder:

As far as I know the new TVP website is based on Joomla Social so transaltions might be split by product and content.
Joomla social (product part) is 100% translated into Italian, German, Dutch, Russian and Turkish, jump here www.transifex.com/projects/p/jomsocial/ for other languages translations updates.

The "core content" seems to be taken by the old website but no one still compared the two versions.
I hope nobody will start the comparison because I expect a technical approach for this job.

As the curiosity killed the cat, I will soothe mine (curiosity), posting :help: on TVP website community.

1 registered user and 63 guests thanked already.

nomada

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion