You are not logged in.

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 5:40am

I wasn't finished making adjustments. :p

Clear out both your browser's cache and all forum.linguisticteam.org-related cookies, refresh the Index page, log in and have another look. If you're set up as anything other than a normal member (e.g. admin, moderator, coord, etc.), don't log in with your normal account. Instead, create a new 'test account' that will let you see exactly what new members see when they arrive. ;)
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

2 registered users and 59 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Di Anna

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 3:41pm

Cool! I think the way it is now has more potential to connect the new volunteers.

I tried without logging in first and I have a couple suggestions to make the forum look more familiar to the ones that see it for the first time:
- One already shared before, but as it serves this purpose too: The Menu could have more tabs with words that relate to translations, proofreading, language teams, projects, etc. Maybe stuff that relate to RBE, TVP and TZM can help. The front of the forum, as it is now to someone who have not done the login/registration yet, the only thing people might be familiarized with is 'Paradise or Oblivion', which is there since it was a recent post in the Help Desk.

- Another thing that might help on that same goal is to have some text which resumes the LTI, purpose or what is going on here. That text will also be useful when showing under the forum title in the google search results.

I will register with another account and test it as a new member now :alien:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Sue" is female

Date of registration: May 26th 2011

Language Team: Spanish

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 4:08pm

I like Christo's suggestion (y)

1 registered user and 56 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: Jan 22nd 2014

Language Team: Portuguese

Focus Group: Translator

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 4:24pm

Forum seen as new member, by rodtesting 8)

Hey! Nomada here! :chicken:

When I registered in the forum and logged in, I received an automatic message from you Ray. Is this there after a long time? How many people reply?

The forum, at the eyes of a newcomer, shows:
- 'ToDo List' and 'Members' show in the menu on the side of Forum and Pootle.
- The categories inside the 1st two boards are closed and the one in the Language Teams Playground is open, which is great!
- The Shout Box and the Do You Know box are at the bottom. They might not serve us much there since there is no other way to reach them then to scroll everything down.

If people click on something before they get to the Language Teams Playgrounds, for example in 'Help Desk', the introduce Yourself sounds inviting to me and might solve it. But still, all the info that becomes visible in that page is all that is inside the Help Desk board. If we have the 1st board as 'Help Desk / Introduce Yourself' and inside it a category with all the language teams playgrounds, that would surely be the first info they would stumble and face. Then it would be essential to have a tab in the menu that leads to the Global Support board.
rodtesting has attached the following image:
  • forum newmember.png

2 registered users and 57 guests thanked already.

DiTesting, Ray

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 5:53pm

This is DiTesting

When I registered in the forum and logged in, I received an automatic message from you Ray. Is this there after a long time? How many people reply?
Hey, hey... This is VERY interesting! I had forgotten so much about my first experience here that has probably changed since then anyway. But, I'm gonna be SLOW and methodical. :hypno: I hope I'm not micro-managing. I think the message from Ray is good, but it needs application of some punctuation to easier reading. :(

Here's the message:
Welcome in our forum

Hello DiTesting,
welcome in our and now your forum. We hope you'll enjoy our forum. If you have questions or problems you can of course ask us.

Here's what I'd like to do to it:

Welcome in 'our' forum

Hello DiTesting,

Welcome in 'our', and now 'your' forum. We hope you'll enjoy being a part of the Community. If you have questions or problems you can, of course, ask us.

Ok... more later!
((hugs))
Di (testing)

2 registered users and 50 guests thanked already.

Ray, ralle4

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 9:09pm

If people click on something before they get to the Language Teams Playgrounds, for example in 'Help Desk', the introduce Yourself sounds inviting to me and might solve it. But still, all the info that becomes visible in that page is all that is inside the Help Desk board. If we have the 1st board as 'Help Desk / Introduce Yourself' and inside it a category with all the language teams playgrounds, that would surely be the first info they would stumble and face.

I agree with that, Rod. Also I notice that 'Introduce Yourself' is under 'Specific Items' which isn't very descriptive concerning the kinds of items the newcomer can find there. Maybe the 1st board could be called 'Where to Begin' or something similar. And then inside it could be those important places for beginners to know about, including Language Teams Playgrounds, as you mentioned above.

((hugs))
DiTesting

2 registered users and 59 guests thanked already.

Ray, ralle4

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Wednesday, January 22nd 2014, 10:32pm

I tested too and I have some suggestions. If I get it correctly the problem is people logging in but not participating. The solution depends on what you feel is the best way to get them started. I have no experience on this one, so you can read my suggestions and decide based on your experience all these years.

First, how about having the "getting started" section on top of the first page, in place of "Help Desk" somehow? I don't know if it's possible, but if I am a totally new guy, I want to see exactly what I am looking for at first sight.

Second, how about having the "Introduce Yourself" section on top of the first page? Same reason as "getting started".

Third, you could have the "Language Team Playgrounds" on top, although I am not sure that the name is pretty clarifying. At least it wasn't for me when I first logged in. Maybe it's the word "playground" that wasn't so clear to me. Anyway, how about a name like "Find your team" or s'th like that?

Last, since there is an automatic welcome e-mail, you could have a link in it of whichever section you believe is the best for the newbie to start from.

If there is the option of the new-comer watching a more simplified forum when they firs log in, then I guess it's just a matter of promoting whatever section you feel is the best for them to get started. To me the prezi presentation was the most cordial.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

3 registered users and 54 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray, ralle4

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 12:15am

That Welcome message is likely very, very new (like: added yesterday), but I can't be sure without a screenshot. It may be coming for other stuff I tried to use to improve the member experience a long time ago.
The words being presented by whatever it is are canned (pre-included with the extension and not adjustable on the back-end). I had no idea what it was saying until just now, but I can certainly go into the server itself and adjust it to something much more 'proper' and appropriate once someone can help me learn what's generating it (I need a screenshot).

To Everyone:
PLEASE micro-manage during this kind of testing, as it's the only way for us to accurately understand and, where needed, adjust the 'new member' experience toward maximum positive potential.
Take screenshots, make detailed notes as you take each step, maximize the opinions you share here (yes, I said opinions - lol), give me all you've got, but the biggest thing we need are fresh eyeballs going through this so we're not just following the thoughts of people who have been around the forum for a long time. ;)

3 registered users and 50 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada, ralle4

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 12:55am

Geez, Ray
For some reason, I couldn't make the print screen work here, but you can see it on the doc HERE.

Whewl, I feel much better now that I know you didn't compose that message.
((hugs))
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 60 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 8:40am

Thanks, Di!
I did find one area on the back end that seems to allow adding additional "additional info that will extend the text", so I added a little something and hope someone can grab a screenshot of the Welcome message for me to see if it actually did anything. If this text replaces the previous canned junk, we can write a proper welcome message and drop it into place without any major server searching (which would be 'so' nice)

2 registered users and 53 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, ralle4

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Thursday, January 23rd 2014, 3:14pm

Hm... Is there any way I can see the Welcome Letter without registering another account? I'm running out of emails to use.
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

53 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Friday, January 24th 2014, 6:09am

Sure. Wait for the next person to do it and come back with a fresh screenshot. ;)

1 registered user and 55 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Friday, January 24th 2014, 8:32pm

Or use temporary disposable emails. For example: 301 Moved Permanently

52 guests thanked already.
  • "kassy" is female

Date of registration: Mar 30th 2013

Language Team: Portuguese

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader

Saturday, March 1st 2014, 4:29pm

Hi folks,

I haven´t been following this thread although I have been aware that some changes were going to happen.

First let me say that I really like the new changes.

I have one question for you. In the Language Teams section, would it be possible to find a away of making some sort of adjustment in order make it easier to find our language team. I´ll explain what I mean.

I use this forum mostly in the portuguese (european) section. Whenever I try to find that specific section I need to scroll down all the sections from all the other teams that are previous to the one I want. I was wondering if there was any way of having a shortcut to that specific team or a way to select which forum section you want to see on top. This sort of means making it possible for each person to select a personalized view of the forum main page.

Bare in mind that I have no idea if this is even possible, because what uou guys do looks a bit like magic to me.

1 registered user and 55 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, March 1st 2014, 7:29pm

There is.Go to the portuguese forum section and bookmark it in your browser favorites. You can drag that favorite link to a folder in the top of your browser (bookmarks toolbar).

About making all language teams easier to reach from the top of the forum? Maybe Ray can tell better.
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 54 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion