• "michaelycus" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 10th 2011

Language Team: Brazilian Team

Focus Group: Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Thursday, March 7th 2013, 5:57pm

LTI System Manager

Hello everyone,

Here is Michael, from the Brazilian Linguistic Team.

The following video presents how the brazilian team is organizing their material right now and how we can implement the same kind of system for all teams together.

[/size]

Please, we really need some feedback before start to do that.

7 registered users and 65 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Di Anna, txetxo, Ray, Borislav/lizardman, yv6eda, Yayita

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, March 7th 2013, 8:55pm

This is really terrific, Michael. Isn't this also the idea behind the member portal, that we should be able to see all of this in one place? Ray?
((hugs)),
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 63 guests thanked already.

Ray, Yayita

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Friday, March 8th 2013, 9:34am

Eventually, this approach will provide complete 'one-stop shopping' for everyone within the member portal:
Transcribers, proofreaders & translators (to see what's ready for them and reserve all or part of a project)
Coordinators (to gain instant overview of how projects are progressing - and yes, no more progress report sheets to maintain)
Admins (for adding new items and connecting finished items to multiple public resources)
Distribution (to get fully completed items out to the rest of the world)
The greater public (to see what's completed and where they can view &/or download); etc., etc., etc..

And I expect it will later be tied directly into the Public Portal when that launches, to serve up information & links to go along with all of the materials publicly distributed from there.

There is still plenty of development work to be done on this in order to truly maximize its massive potential, but Michael is focused on getting the core functionality ready to launch much, much sooner.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

1 registered user and 58 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Friday, March 8th 2013, 12:28pm

This is really awesome, Michael!

My thoughts after just having taken an initial look at it:

It will be very nice if there is an button to add one more round of proofreading, no matter how many rounds have been passed. Experience shows that for some materials there have been 5-6 different proofreadings.

For all work being done on a material, there could be time of start and time of completion (i.e. when a proofreader takes on a proofreading and when s/he completes it). The fields for these times could be filled in automatically if it is possible to create a connection to the site's calendar.

As I understand, the idea is that all materials will essentially be a task in the system. When there is a new item released from the English team, that task will be closed for that team and a new task will be opened for all other language teams. It will not be a single task for all the teams, but rather the same task, multiplied by the number of teams. In this way every team will have its own flexibility in handling items. Is my understanding of the system correct?

Most importantly - experience has really shown that whatever is developed, has to be developed with the thinking that it will be improved and built upon in the future. I don't know what that means coding-wise, but I know that we will surely expand this tool over the years, so developing with such thinking for future times is the single most important aspect of anything we create, at least IMO. :)

Lastly, if there is a way to test and play with this tool, I'm sure that lots and lots of feedback will be given.

1 registered user and 59 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, March 8th 2013, 6:12pm

I find all of this really wonderful :idolize:

There is one thing I am not sure of how it can work: how does a volunteer communicates that he/she wants to translate a project or that he/she is done with it? That part would still be done in the forum and facebook? The idea is to make the communication around that system to be driven to the forum links of the projects, in strategic points like the newsletter, etc?

I agree that a toy could be nice for us to play too, Lizzie :rolleyes:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 55 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Saturday, March 9th 2013, 3:43am

Details are still being worked out and to that end, everyone is invited to participate here in helping to identify & elaborate on all that could/should be included here.

To get this launched sooner than later, Michael is focusing on its use for admin & coordination tasks.
Assuming that we are able to include everything needed for these things, the initial launch will gradually (as the info can be added) replace the day to day use of Wiki's Media Center (for the Pootle, videos & repository pages), guiding people directly to relevant forum threads for a given material, the forum's ToDo function and perhaps some other things that were designed around those pages/functions.

From there, we can focus on intelligently building it out to take on many other functions and open it up for everyone's use, such as transcriber/proofreader/translator availability & self-assignment, linking directly to relevant tutorials & other resources, providing a front page with automated 'News' on new releases (both to and from the English Dep't) and completed translations (i.e. 'ready for distribution'), automating individual team progress charts, etc.. Basically, this could somewhat easily take over many of the tedious tasks currently handled manually by far too many people, freeing them up to focus much stronger on growing their respective teams & support groups. :bow:

1 registered user and 65 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "michaelycus" is male

LTI Development Group

Monday, March 11th 2013, 6:18pm

It will be very nice if there is an button to add one more round of proofreading, no matter how many rounds have been passed. Experience shows that for some materials there have been 5-6 different proofreadings.

For all work being done on a material, there could be time of start and time of completion (i.e. when a proofreader takes on a proofreading and when s/he completes it). The fields for these times could be filled in automatically if it is possible to create a connection to the site's calendar.

As I understand, the idea is that all materials will essentially be a task in the system. When there is a new item released from the English team, that task will be closed for that team and a new task will be opened for all other language teams. It will not be a single task for all the teams, but rather the same task, multiplied by the number of teams. In this way every team will have its own flexibility in handling items. Is my understanding of the system correct?
Let me explain, for instance:
- The English team release a new task (a new video). This task have a field 'task_id' with value '23'.
- The video is then open to translation and new tasks are created for ALL teams. Those tasks have different 'task_id', but they have the same 'parent_id', which is a field that indicates from which that task come from.
- Some of fields are duplicated, like 'video_name', 'working_location', etc... You got the point.

Most importantly - experience has really shown that whatever is developed, has to be developed with the thinking that it will be improved and built upon in the future. I don't know what that means coding-wise, but I know that we will surely expand this tool over the years, so developing with such thinking for future times is the single most important aspect of anything we create, at least IMO. :)
I created the brazilian system because it became really complicated to manage all the different material we had translated. The idea is to expand this system to all the teams.
First, only the English Team and team coordinators will see the difference and have access to the system.
In the future we can try to expand this to all members. And yes... we have to consider what is coming next!

Lastly, if there is a way to test and play with this tool, I'm sure that lots and lots of feedback will be given.
Sure... many coordinators have to work and feel the system before it is finally lanched. The system must be flexible, because usually the teams work differently from each other.

1 registered user and 60 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "michaelycus" is male

LTI Development Group

Monday, March 11th 2013, 6:50pm

There is one thing I am not sure of how it can work: how does a volunteer communicates that he/she wants to translate a project or that he/she is done with it? That part would still be done in the forum and facebook? The idea is to make the communication around that system to be driven to the forum links of the projects, in strategic points like the newsletter, etc?

That's the most complicated part ever. Let explain what I have in mind:

Let's take a normal video: "Culture in Decline - Episode 53".

In the English team
Transcription: 2 (persons have transcribed)
Timeshifting: 1 (person)
Proofread: 3 (persons)

French team:
Translation: 2
Proofreading: 2

Spanish team:
Translation: 1
Proofreading: 6

Brazilian team:
Translation: 2
Proofreading: 0 (zero! It can happen!)

How to handle it? The teams work so differently!

So, I think you should have three tables: tasks, workgroup and function.

The task 'Culture in Decline - Epi. 53' has a workgroup_id.

The workgroup represent the people that work in that group and his/her function. For instance:

Di - translation
Ray - translation
Lizardman - proofreading
Michael - proofreading
Rodrigo - proofreading
Ray - proofreading (Yeap... he can translate and proofread)

Clear enough? Now you know how the data is saved.

But how do you know that someone worked in a project? How does a person say... "I'm translating this now!" ?

There will be a button in the system like "Translating" or "Proofreading", where the person clicks and announce what is doing. The system register the action.

But if the person do not click the button?

The coordinator can update the 'task workgroup' and indicates who worked on that video based on dotsub information, or facebook information. The worst case is that you dont know who did the task.

2 registered users and 59 guests thanked already.

Ray, nomada

• "michaelycus" is male

LTI Development Group

Monday, March 11th 2013, 7:08pm

PLEASE, IF I DIDN'T ANSWER ANY OF THE QUESTIONS ABOVE, ASK AGAIN! ;)

Maybe Rodrigo, Ray or Bruno can answer that: can you please explain the process of realising a new video, step by step? I have to understand that.
For example:
- Bruno upload a video on dotsub;
- Creates a thread in the forum;
- bla bla bla;
- bla bla bla;
- Announce that the video is open for translations.

Thanks!

1 registered user and 57 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman

• "Ray" is male

Monday, March 11th 2013, 7:43pm

Ok, the procedure can vary, depending on numerous things. The 'normal' approach is basically:

For a new video:
  1. Best version is located and uploaded to dotSUB
  2. Forum thread is created for tracking all progress & introducing it to the English Transcription Team. The PR Group may also introduce it at other locations to attract more people to the forum thread
  3. Once transcribed, it moves into a first round of proofreading (P1). Transcription access is turned off and only the proofreaders & time-stamp adjusters have access to it. This is called "Protected Mode"
  4. After P1, it moves into time-stamp adjusting (T1)
  5. After T1, it moves into a second round of proofreading (P2)
  6. If needed, it may receive more proofreading (somewhat rare, but we may need to start doing this more often for long items)
  7. After P2 (or however many it received), it moves onto its Final Review (FR) to help ensure consistency across the entire item. Note that if too many issues are found, it may be sent back for another round (or more) of proofreading (rare, but maybe needed more often than we do that)
  8. Once it passes through FR, the English transcription is fully closed to any additional adjustments (unless something is later discovered, resulting in a forum "error report"). This is called "Lockdown"
  9. It is then open to all language teams for translations where the process repeats for each of them (except for the time-stamp adjustments). Each language team is responsible for either handling or requesting that their translation be moved into Protected &/or Lockdown modes, as appropriate.
  10. As each language team completes all tasks on the item, they create a ToDo to alert the appropriate global support groups to launch into action, moving it to the LTI Repository locations, uploading it to the YouTube distribution, announcing it in LTI's global resources, etc., while the language team handles similar tasks within their extended local & language-based circles.

There are numerous things, events & circumstances that can add to the above process, but they are best left for a more 'live' discussion that includes representatives from as many teams as we can get together in one place. ^^

2 registered users and 58 guests thanked already.

michaelycus, nomada

• "michaelycus" is male

LTI Development Group

Monday, March 11th 2013, 9:15pm

Thanks Ray!

I want to discuss some relevant information about how the system is going to work for the English Team. So I made the following video:

http://youtu.be/8F2m_pBcBVo

Please... let me know what you think about it.

2 registered users and 57 guests thanked already.

Ray, Borislav/lizardman

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 8:26am

Looks pretty simple indeed, Michael!! :thumbup:
I wonder if the 3 boxes for Hours, minutes and seconds are really necessary?

One thing that I see crucial for the English team is the status of the project, because we have many stages (Transcrition, P1, TS, P2 and Final Review) and most newcomers don't catch it right away and think that if 1 person already proofread (or even 2 persons that have worked in the same stage P1, sometimes) then the video is ready for final review. Maybe this status can be shown in this editing box, as you show in the video, but also in a previous page where we can see all the projects listed and in which stage are they?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

63 guests thanked already.
  • "michaelycus" is male

LTI Development Group

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 12:13pm

- The 3 are used to register the time, like: "3:01:52" (duration of the video). We could use only one field and type the time with ':', but I dont think is safe.

- Yes. Look the image 03 and see if that is what you are talking about: http://www.timelinguistico.com.br/example/

- Anything else that you think is necessary?

55 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 3:42pm

Looks good to me. Thanks Michael :thumbup:

59 guests thanked already.
  • "michaelycus" is male

LTI Development Group

Tuesday, March 12th 2013, 6:28pm

Types, States and functions

Hi people, I need some help from the english team here. You now have to think in terms of software and figure out:

- Which type media will we work? (video, text, what more?)

- Which 'states' those media can have? (open for translation, in transcription, what more?)

- Which are the 'functions' that make this job? (transcriber, proofreader, what more?)

For example, here the states for video translation:

- New
- Open for transcription
- In transcription
- Transcription complete: Ready for proofreading
- In proofreading
- Proofreading complete: Awaiting verification
- Verified as proofread
- Open for translation
- Translation complete: Ready for proofreading
- Translation to English
- Verified for finalization
- Locked, available in repository
- Under review
- Under repair

Do we need more? Please, list everything you guess is necessary.

2 registered users and 60 guests thanked already.

Ray, MarlysePi

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion