You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, June 23rd 2013, 5:31pm

Reference about "Help with Translations" in the end of subtitles or in video anotations

This is a topic discussed on yesterday's LTI meeting where the idea of having references on the youtube videos on how to join the translations collaboration seemed to be seen by everyone as an initiative that could bring many more people to join the LTI and help. The suggestions shared were: a) Adding an extra subtitle string at the end of the transcriptions and translations saying something like "To help on translations go to forum.linguisticteam.org", and to add the same type of message in video annotations, especially when there would be no space in the vídeo for an extra string in the subtitles and when we would find it important to add it in the beginning of the videos instead of in the end; b) To edit the videos in such a way that we would add an extra introduction or ending on screen, with the information and a logo to the LTI.

The 1st hypothesis would imply that we check which videos have space at the end of the subs and, in those, edit the transcription and the already completed translations and republish them. Many videos still have thousands of people clicking on them everyday. The new transcriptions could already go for the translators with the extra string inserted at the end.
For those videos without space for an extra string, the possibility of adding annotations in their original locations (TZM and TVP channels, where most people pass by) would have to be studied and presented to them.

The second hypothesis, of adding extra vídeo, seems more complicated and it implies to process the videos again, and the new videos coming out, it would imply to ask the producers to add that short part with the info and LTI logo to them. Vixi, who supported this idea most, agreed to ask around to see how the video producers, like TZM and TVP, would see this hypothesis.

In any of these initiatives, volunteers are needed to help with it, since these imply extra tasks to the already "drowning" admin group volunteers. If anyone wishes to help with these and other tasks/platforms, let us know in this thread or ask me - nomada - and I'll be more than happy to show you how you can help ; )
https://www.facebook.com/rodrigo.cardoso.393

Please reply to this thread and share your thoughts, everyone!! superhugs!! :bighug:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

3 registered users and 66 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

BenHum, kassy, petrumila

• "BenHum" is male

Date of registration: Apr 12th 2012

Language Team: German

Focus Group: English Transcriber
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Other - Not Listed Above

Monday, June 24th 2013, 3:23pm

Hi Nomada,

thanks for posting.

I also supported this idea but didn't talk very much. ;)

I will inform and ask German LTI, TZM & TVP coordinators and members in hearing what they think about this issue.

Greetz from Germany,
Benny (Singarix)
https://www.facebook.com/singarix

2 registered users and 54 guests thanked already.

nomada, kassy

• "kassy" is female

Date of registration: Mar 30th 2013

Language Team: Portuguese

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader

Tuesday, June 25th 2013, 11:53am

I like te idea of a "LTI credit/request for help" image added to the video. I think it might be more effective, than just adding a string to the translation, visually speaking. This extra image will also imply adding extra string with the text translation in several languages, right? This will mean both tasks, and more work load... And then replacing all the uploads...
Is it an option to apply any of this ideas only for new upcoming videos?

Anyway it´s decided, I´ll help.

:bighug: :rose:

2 registered users and 56 guests thanked already.

BenHum, nomada

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, June 25th 2013, 7:47pm

This extra image will also imply adding extra string with the text translation in several languages, right? This will mean both tasks, and more work load... And then replacing all the uploads...
The less convenient part about adding extra video time is that the videos need to be processed again, which might make them loose quality. Or, the producers would need to do them with the LTI image already. It seems complicated, we have suggested that in meetings before and there seems to be no one around to do that.

The option of adding an extra subtitle string, or a notification text on the video in youtube when there is not enough space/time for the extra string, or both options together, seems to be the easiest and most versatile. And we can do it in old projects that still have many thousands of viewers, like Addendum and ZM, etc.

This adding of the subtitle string is quite easy. I see it needing 2 tasks: select a few videos that are most watched in the RBE community, check if there is time/space to add an extra string in the subtitles, apply it in the transcription and translations (add the string in Engish in all languages) and upload those subs to the repository and youtube locations.
The vieos where there is no space/time in the end of the video for an extra string, we take note of which are they and in which channels they are so we ask the channels admins to add a notification with the text we propose (or we ask direct access to the channels to do it ourselves)

Does this approach makes sense? what do you guys think?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

4 registered users and 46 guests thanked already.

BenHum, petrumila, kassy, michaelycus

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, December 8th 2013, 9:14pm

Hey guys. I think it is much easier to add annotations at the start and at the end of the videos. This is what we do in the Greek team. Check out this for example at the start (0:00:24) and the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJH6Gv6etE
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

2 registered users and 65 guests thanked already.

nomada, FrankySnatra

Public Relations Group

Monday, December 9th 2013, 12:27pm

well placed annotation!! Any increase in emails after you started putting annotations in videos?

Some videos don't have pauses where annotations wouldn't disturb the perception of the contents, others don't have space at the end to add an extra subtitle. I see it as these technical issues being what will help us reach the decision of what to do in each case. I like both options but specially the subtitle string option, either at the start or end of the video.

49 guests thanked already.
  • "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Monday, December 9th 2013, 2:49pm

We had some increase in the number of volunteers offering their help, but we are not sure they were affected by the annotations. To tell you the truth, we have only done it in some of our videos, so we cannot expect big results. I have to organize it some time. I will give you feedback, when I do it.

When there is no suitable pause in the beginning or the end, we just put the annotation right from the start or ten seconds before the end, respectively. It is pretty easy to do if you are focused only on that part, so I suggest everyone tries this option first, because it is easier. If they see it has no results, we will have to discuss about using the extra string. It's always more efficient to try the easy thing first, when you have 2 options, because you can have concrete results (negative or positive) more quickly, so that you know if you should follow this tactic or search for another. I hope that makes sense.
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 58 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion