• "lizardman" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, June 26th 2013, 6:55pm

Suggestion: Switching the Repository Locations to youtube

Hi everyone,

For videos, in the past years we've used Working Locations (the place where the transcribing/translating/proofreading takes place) and Repository Locations (the place where the fully finished work is stored and presented to the public). This method seems quite useful because we can keep the Working Locations more internal, like a factory, and, on the opposite, expose and advertise the Repository Locations (which only have the finished products).

Up until now we've used dotsub for both the WL (Working Locations) and RL. But in addition to that we have a dedicated LTI Youtube channel. So that means two uploads to dotsub (for the WL and RL) and one upload to youtube for every video that we translate. The proposal that I would like to be discussed here is that we stop using dotsub for RL and instead use youtube for that.

Pros:
- youtube supports different subtitle timestamps for the different languages of a video;
- youtube supports line breaks in the subtitles - something very important for the quality of the subs;
- youtube supports various subtitle formats, including formats like SAMI (.smi), which have proven quite useful for certain purposes;
- youtube offers extensive options for the viewer to customize how the subtitles look (font, size, background opaqueness, colour, etc.);
- overall, youtube seem to implement improvements in their system on a regular basis, while dotsub seems pretty slow in this regard.

Cons:
- it seems that youtube doesn't allow for interactive transcript when a video is embedded.

Please add to the above points if you have more, or share your views on this question. :)

2 registered users and 56 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, benzaiten

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Thursday, June 27th 2013, 1:45am

Interesting topic, Lizzie! I am one of the persons who uploads videos and subs to the repository locations and to youtube locations too, like the LTI channel, and I can say that the idea of eliminating one location is very welcomed :bow:

There is a con for youtube besides those: it is not easy to download a subtitle from there. IN dotsub we need to login. In youtube we need another software or tool in order to download subs, it seems. So, to serve as a repository location, from where others will download subtitles to add to their DVDs and youtube channels, it seems less practical.

I have another suggestion: Can we have a repository that does not include the video upload but, if we want, a reference to its original location, like thevenusprojectmedia or tzmofficial channels? This way we would need to upload into the LTI channel only the videos which don't have an original location on youtube - videos taken from vimeo, for example - and so we wouldn't be creating double locations of the same video on youtube and we would be promoting only their original locations, where thousands of viewers pass by everyday.
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 63 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "lizardman" is male
  • "lizardman" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, June 27th 2013, 3:29pm

You bring a valid point about the downloading of the subtitle files. In the Portal we will have in place a repository with subtitle files only (no videos), where people can download them. That is the whole purpose of that repository. So I guess it covers this need?

About using the creator's channel's (is that spelling right?) video as a Repository Location, one thing that I see as problematic with that is that we depend on the creator. If for some reason the channel is punished by youtube (as an example), all the videos disappear. It's somewhat of an insecure situation. We don't have redundancy. What do you think about this?

2 registered users and 52 guests thanked already.

nomada, benzaiten

Public Relations Group

Friday, June 28th 2013, 12:43am

In the Portal we will have in place a repository with subtitle files only (no videos), where people can download them. That is the whole purpose of that repository. So I guess it covers this need?

Yes it does, it seems to me ; )

About using the creator's channel's (is that spelling right?) video as a Repository Location,
I wasn't seeing the video's original location (creator's location) as a repository. It is just the location where the video is most viewed. If such location would disappear, we could create one. But until it does, it seems redundant to create another location. We do need to create locations for those videos that don't have a Youtube location. We do need to apply more efforts in creating youtube locations in language specific channels, and support that as much as we can in the different language teams, since many don't know how or do not have time.
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 53 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, July 3rd 2013, 12:13pm

I am all in favour of creating a repository with no videos uploads. I guess we just need a server for that and it wouldn't occupy much space because the SRTs are quite small. I am tired of updating ToDos with so many uploads in locations that are practically trivial; meaning, almost no one uses them for watching nor for downloading subtitles because we don't have time to promote them and they need to register in order to be able to download them.

The issue that would come up from that change is that youtube doesn't support embedding interactive scripts and dotsub does, right Ray? Is there a way to go around that? Is it that important feature that it is worth to apply te time in dotsub uploads at the expense of not having time to promote our own translations and make them reach the public? I don't use interactive scripts so it is hard for me to evaluate this.

2 registered users and 50 guests thanked already.

benzaiten, Yayita

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion