• "Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)" is male
  • "Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)" started this thread

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Monday, October 7th 2013, 2:46pm

The "New Member with Specific Project" Problem

Hey everyone. I have a question. What do I do when there is a new volunteer for the ling team and he wants to translate a specific project (CID in this case) but the initial translation is already done? Should I guide him through proofreading - however I have to know if he can do it - or should I suggest him other projects which need initial translation? Thanks in advance!
Signature from »Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

74 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, October 8th 2013, 4:59pm

If the person really wants to do a certain project, then my thought would be to encourage him/her to satisfy this passion. So I would offer them to make a proofreading and then we can do a diff and together take a look at what was changed and how appropriate the changes were.

But my first thought would be to suggest to the person to take another project that isn't already translated. The above suggestion is more for the case when the person really knows what s/he wants to work on.

1 registered user and 99 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Christos Pap.

Language Coordinator

Tuesday, October 8th 2013, 5:04pm

Yes, the person really knows what he wants to work on. He is a friend of mine who and saw the Culture in Decline series and he told me "You know what? How about translating these? The world has to know these things!"

Lizar, what is a "diff"? Also what do you mean by " together take a look at what was changed and how appropriate the changes were'?
Signature from »Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

81 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 12:38pm

Lizar, what is a "diff"? Also what do you mean by " together take a look at what was changed and how appropriate the changes were'?

This is a tool to create a diff: http://www.diffchecker.com/
If you download the SRT before the new volunteer starts proofreading, you can compare the changes applied by him with the previous version. The diff will help you to find and focus on only those differences applied. Even though another proofreading round of the whole thing is safer. It depends.
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 53 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 3:28pm

Also what do you mean by " together take a look at what was changed and how appropriate the changes were'?

I mean that you can have a meeting with the person and in that meeting go over the changes that he made during his proofreading (if that is what he'll do). The idea is to discuss the changes that he made, and, most of all, to share some of your experience with him.

58 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Wednesday, October 9th 2013, 4:00pm

Thanks for the response, helps. It really helps. About what Nomada wrote, we have 2 rounds of proofreading and I am responsible for the final review or "proofview", so I guess a diff is not needed in this case, since I know this person. However, it would be very helpful in cases we do not know if a guy may destroy our work or not. Thanks! Lizard, I am taking your advice. This guy is a friend of mine and we live very close, so I will have regular meetings with him to go through this together.

92 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion