• "lizardman" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, June 5th 2014, 11:11pm

Articles for the Member Portal

Hi everybody,

Some of you know that there has been work on creating a website that will integrate pretty much all the information and tools relevant to translations. This website is called the Member Portal.

Before launching it, one of the things needed (and actually one of the last remaining to be done things) is to fill the site up with content. Information.

I've been working on creating some articles and will continue to do so, but it would be really cool if more people can contribute and provide feedback on this. So, let's use this thread to do it. Here's the first article.

How to Start (or Revive) a Language Team

Here's how you can help: Read the article and leave comments (in the Google Doc) on any places that you don't agree with or find not understandable/ambiguous, or if you have any suggestions for adding something more.

The Member Portal will be for us all, so let's make it awesome. :)

2 registered users and 54 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray, niciacruz

• "ossi11111" is male

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2013

Language Team: German

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Friday, June 6th 2014, 9:01am

What do I have to do to add my text in the Google Docs document? I will write it in this thread now.

I guess the text aims to create motivation so the reader goes on reading the more specific texts that follow.
Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on why it makes sense to work in teams.

More points to name:
- translators usually have more motivation in teams
- by collaboration you can learn from each other
- ask other working language teams on how they did create and maintain the team (e.g. skype or teamspeak meetings of the members from time to time)
- newcomers are prone to mistakes like bad synchronization of the subtitles to the spoken words and making the lines too long, therefore making them much harder to read and less people will watch the video till the end (by joining the LTI you can use the results of the English team to not have that problem)
- newcomers are also prone to translating word by word instead of translating the meaning in a way a native speaker of their language would say it
- people that understand the spoken English words of the videos are often not aware that reading subtitles is pretty tiring and so we should make them as easy to read as possible by using words everybody can understand without thinking of the meaning. e.g.: use "thigh bone" instead of "femur", unless the speaker really wants to show by using the word "femur" that he has great knowledge in medicine
- newcomers don't always think of the time a subtitle line is shown
- the LTI can upload the subtitles to the official channels, therefore reaching more people
- there has never been a subtitle to my knowledge that was created by an individual who was new that we were able to use right away or only with a few changes. There were always really big changes necessary that took nearly as much effort as creating the subtitles by an experienced member in the first place. Actually I think it takes more time to correct bad synchronized subtitles than creating a good synchronization right from the start, because the bad time codes of the previous or following lines always get in the way (maybe nomada can share his experience on that).

- in a language team only the first few people have to learn the hard way and can then teach the new arriving members what they have already learned, so it gets much easier for the people that follow to become a valuable translator fast

And what's funny too, is that you always hear about too much bureaucracy in our processes by new people who do not even know about the processes. That might be true to some extent, but I never heard concrete suggestions that ensure the points given above. They can't give any suggestions, because they are not aware of why the processes are used at all. I know what I am talking about, because I complained about too much bureaucracy when I arrived here too.
So it is a very important point to make new people aware of why we are using these processes.
Signature from »ossi11111« Willst du beim Übersetzen mithelfen?
E-Mail an: GermanLingTeam@gmail.com

Bisher veröffentlichte Videos mit deutschen Untertiteln:
GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 48 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, June 14th 2014, 8:15pm

I put some comments on the gdoc. Hope it helps!
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 56 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, June 17th 2014, 10:14pm

Replied to your comments, Chris.

Some good points there, ossi. Some of them are incorporated in this next article. It's still hard for me to wrap my mind around all of this. For example, I very much agree with the point that it's important to show why we are using the processes we're using. But there can be different ways to show that. How much of the entire system should be explicitly stated and how much can be just pointed at or omitted at all? It's still not clear to me and the process of writing is slow, but bit by bit, the pieces come together. They just need to be integrated into the whole. :D (BTW, today I realized that this information will at some point become obsolete, or at least parts of it will, so that's another point to take into account.)

Here is the next article:

How can our language team be successful?

These first two articles are kind of more philosophical, if you will. They are more like providing explanation of the approaches and pointing to other articles that give the nuts and bolts. Hopefully, this kind of organization of the information - with more or less short articles on given subjects, completing each other - will be easy for people to grasp and use.

1 registered user and 45 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Thursday, June 19th 2014, 8:04am

Boris, you stated in the document that we're trying to move away from the "co-ordinator" concept. Could you elaborate a little on that? I'm guessing that the Portal's automation and simplification will take care of the current coordinator's tasks? You also wrote in this post "Today I realized that this information will at some point become obsolete, or at least parts of it will, so that's another point to take into account". Are you referring to co-ordination?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 55 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Sunday, June 22nd 2014, 8:30pm

Well, in regards to the Member Portal, there will be some automation of coord tasks, but it is my personal view that a language team very much needs veteran members who try to set up a good workflow and see to it that the work is high-quality. What I meant was that we don't necessarily need to say "this is the coordinator, rely on him/her for everything", but rather we can, by using such tools as the Portal and PMS, create conditions that could facilitate the generating of such veteran members in the language teams, and furthermore make it easier to organize the whole work. In short, the environment can do a lot and that's why the whole focus on developing it. What I also meant is that you can look at 'coordination' as a set of functions, not as people. Then you see how much of those functions you can automate and how much you can't yet.

About the info becoming obsolete, I was referring to absolutely everything, not just coordination.

OK, folks, here is the next one:

How to translate?

1 registered user and 51 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Friday, June 27th 2014, 8:05pm

And the next one:

How to Proofread Translations?

1 registered user and 50 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion