You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 11:19pm

LTI Team Speak Gathering2 - Pootle, Forum, Community Building, Translations Methods

Hi fellows!! ^^

After a great gathering around Youtube channels management, last week, here is an attempt to give continuation to this enriching "hang out" for "translating to change the world geeks" :D

Add topics or questions you wold like to approach, here: http://piratepad.net/LTI-TeamSpeakGathering

and share your availability, so we can find the best day and time for all, here: http://www.doodle.com/6e8efx7r6ai8a6z8

hugs :bighug:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nomada" (Jun 14th 2012, 10:55pm)

1 registered user and 60 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Fikcija

Public Relations Group

Friday, June 15th 2012, 4:55pm

Hi! : )
Here is a resume of the exchange of information resulting from the gathering:

• The "Terminology" part in Pootle, how does it work? - Fikcija

Basically, Pootle scans any term longer than 3 or 4 letters and creates a list meant to be used as a glossary. Those
words appear on the left hand side of the translation when we are
translating on Pootle, if those words are present in the English
transcription, of course. Whatever suggestion for translation is arrived at, for a specific word, it will keep so independently of where that word will show up, so, it could be better designed.
This project needs some development. The English Glossary needs to be completed. Then, each team should add their completed languageglossary to it.We can then create a template file to generate individual language PO files inside the internal terminology project.
Ray
will have a Pootle tour for coordinators. There is no Doodle, since
only 4 people said they were interested. Check with your language
coordinator or arrange a co-coordination situation so someone can be
present on the tour and bring the information to others. Reach him on skype: gmanzm

This tutorial is supposedly good for newcomers/beginners, but more feedback is necessary in order to know if it is clear enough. Fikcija said it was clear enough. Additional
Pootle coordination video tutorials will eventually be added. In the
meantime, coordinators should sign up for the 'live' Pootle tour. Only
two to three hours to become an expert! :D (-Ray)
i think it is very good to have some instructions for people to use and take up transcribing or translating. I'm going to promote the Pootle tutorial on spanish translators community and bring back to the forum the feedback if any - Jorge

• Community Building
How to connect Youtube with Facebook and Twitter Tutorial

making video out of this tutorial: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahnX…IkWY/edit?pli=1

This tutorial is to connect a youtube account with a twitter and a facebook PROFILE, not a facebook page. The profile is a better tool to reach more people since only 10% of a facebook page likers actually see its posts. Profiles can also post in other pages and are so much more dynamic. It is also possible to make our youtube videos to be automatically posted on a facebook page, but in a much more limited way.

Start to brainstorming translations in both directions - Jorge (what do you mean by "both" exactly?) English - Foreign language but Foreign language - English too... for this, the
Pootle members have to add their mother tongue to the alternative
language section and English needs to be set as the focus language, by
any of the Pootle admins (Ray or Lizardman) A folder can be created with
projects to translate, lets say, from Spanish to English, so these can
be seperate from the other Pootle projects.
  • Translation Methods

There was only 1 suggestion:
http://duolingo.com/ - any experience or opinion about it? could it be possible to contact them somehow to give them material to translate ?
Our
texts use much terminology (e.g, "resource-based economy") that is hard
to grasp out of context and without general understanding of material.
Too bad we forgot to record the gathering. Next time, let's us remind that ; )
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

52 guests thanked already.
  • "Fikcija" is female

Date of registration: Jun 5th 2011

Language Team: Lithuanian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, June 15th 2012, 10:16pm

This tutorial is supposedly good for newcomers/beginners, but more feedback is necessary in order to know if it is clear enough. Fikcija said it was clear enough.

I did? :huh:
Signature from »Fikcija« Don't believe everything you think.

59 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Friday, June 15th 2012, 11:50pm

Oh. Then maybe you said that it didn't help you with your doubts because it was focused on basic stuff and you are in the Pootle Pro now. could it be it? :D True that we can not take the conclusion from there that the tutorial is good enough for newcomers.

53 guests thanked already.
  • "Fikcija" is female

Date of registration: Jun 5th 2011

Language Team: Lithuanian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, June 15th 2012, 11:58pm

Yep, I said it didn't help because it was a "beginner" version and I wandered deeper than that.
But I am hardly a pro :P More like a natural. To be honest, I never read any tutorial on pootle until I actually came up with this question. I just got there and started doing stuff... Without the RTFM.
Signature from »Fikcija« Don't believe everything you think.

53 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion