You are not logged in.

• "Bakadave" is male
  • "Bakadave" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 4th 2012

Language Team: English

Wednesday, January 4th 2012, 10:20pm

bakadave, eng learning Japanese, looking to do something useful, perhaps learn subbing...

Hi all!

I'm looking to see where I can make a difference in the scheme of things. I have some basic Japanese skills, I intend learning portugese or spanish next I think. I can write web pages and set up apache servers, quite into all things technical, although I find it quite difficult to keep up with it all...

I think I'd quite like to learn how to subtitle things, but as I mentioned, my skills are pretty early in their development, so I think somebody else had better do the actual translating, at least for now :O)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Bakadave" (Jan 4th 2012, 11:11pm)

4 registered users and 35 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

brunodc, Borislav/lizardman, nomada, laramide

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, January 5th 2012, 8:14am

Hey bakadave, welcome to the team!

We are always looking forward to automate certain tasks to facilitate our team's workflow, so a technical eye is always welcome! The way we do it is usually by talking about different tools to the team and how to use them. Ultimately, the best thing would be to create tutorials that would help beginners with those tasks to make them more efficient.

If you look around these forums long enough, I'm sure you'll find hundreds of little things that could be done in a heartbeat if they were automated, but that requires technical skills that are scarce within the team right now. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

laramide

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Thursday, January 5th 2012, 2:42pm

Hi bakadave!! Welcome!! :smiley:

I would agree that automation is one of our biggest needs. And technical eyes are not so common around here hehehe

I seem to understand that your mother tongue is English? If so, you can help with transcription and proofreading of videos. Let us know and I can give you more info on where to start : )

hugs,
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 28 guests thanked already.

laramide

Date of registration: Aug 1st 2012

Language Team: Japanese

Focus Group: Translator

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 2:14am

Hello from Australia

Hi bakadave,

I'm new here and would also like to help with Japanese translation. My native language is English, so would need a native Japanese for proofreading, but would be very happy to help in any way I can. I've translated some websites, comics and technical documents from Japanese to English but unfortunately lack experience for English to Japanese. I am proficient with Word and Excel, and have some basic coding experience with HTML etc.

I'm looking forward to participating with Linguistic Team International.

Cheers and regards, Luthor

1 registered user and 38 guests thanked already.

nomada

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 10:01am

Welcome Japaneseglote fellows : ) Some tips on how to start with transcriptions and Japanese

Looks like a team is building up here :thumbsup: Nice to have some folks around wanting to translate to Japanese, finally!

@Lemminkainen:
& @Bakadave:

Here are some orientations that can help you start in different fronts:

To transcribe, proofread and translate videos, we use dotsub. For transcription and translation, all working locations are open and it is just a matter of registering and start. (Sometimes for transcriptions and mostly for timeshifting - synchronizing subs - we use offline tools like VisualSubSynch)

Here is a tutorial for Dotsub :thumbup:
And here is where all the projects are: English Deptfor transcriptions, and Open for Translations

For websites and other text translations we use Pootle. Here is a tutorial for that tool. :lashes:

In the languages Playgrounds, you wont find Japanese because it was hidden along with other languages which had no activity for a long time. Let us know if you will start translate to Japanese so we open it.I find it is very useful to post there what you are focusing at so other Japanese visitors to the forum see that there is something happening and the team starts to build up. I can help you with the team building and finding proofreaders; I have done it for a few languages already.

I hope this helps. ^^
hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

39 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 1:42pm

If you fellows have facebook, here is some recent info from Kelly, who used to be the Japanese language coordinator. Maybe if you translate and coordinate your own efforts, with our help, of course, we can ask ely to proofread some initial small stuff for us. Later we publish them and they will probably appeal new volunteers to join, like it happens in all other language teams

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmjap/

1 registered user and 34 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion