You are not logged in.

• "Nickel Head" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 28th 2012

Language Team: English Proofreader

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Saturday, January 28th 2012, 6:57pm

Aanii (Hello in Ojibwa) Everbody

Good Peace & Health to you & yours in the New Year

My Ojibwa friends call me Mkwa (Bear) ... Mike, Michael, Big Dummy :laughing: , I answer them all. Part of the job is having fun and like Katharine Hepburn said "If you follow all the rules, you miss out on all the fun,"

Atikameksheng Anishnawbek (Whitefish Lake First Nation) in Northern Ontario, Kananta (Canada) was were I was raised, now living on occupied land not far from there (west of Sudbury, Ontario).
I am here to try and help out proofreading English, some of my former teachers would get a good laugh over that :ahaha: . I rely on spell check most of the time. But like my Grandmother always said "Many hands, makes little work."

Looking forward to working & getting to know everybody

Miigwetch (Thank You) Neechee (Friend, Brother, Sister, Family, Cousin)

:love: Mike
Nickel Head has attached the following image:
  • 32586_128536100511698_100000659274053_191525_4981123_n.jpg

51 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, January 29th 2012, 1:55am

Aanii Mkwa! ^^

You mean that "Canada" name has a Ojibwa origin? And that is Kananta? 8o Do you know what it means too?

This is all about having fun alright. If we don't have fun, we just don't do it. :D
The English team has a section on the forum of its own, where we have forum threads for each project, guidelines or any other subjects.
http://forum.linguisticteam.org/board2-l…ish-department/

We also use this wiki page to communicate/follow better what is done and yet to be, as it gives a better general view of all the projects. Scroll down a bit and open the "English Proofreading and Timestamp Adjustments" tab:
http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Linguis…a_Center/Videos

Finally, but not least important, the guidelines :thumbup: Take your time to go through them and ask anything you need about it. They are what allows us to be coherent in quality of the video transcriptions:
http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Linguistic_Team_Guidelines

Great to have you around, Makwa :peace:
and hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 56 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Diana

• "Diana" is female

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator

Sunday, January 29th 2012, 2:14am

Aanii Neechee! Good Peace and Health to you, Mkwa :)

Nice to know you and welcome to the team :bighug:
it really seems you got to the right place with a perfect mood! and we also always say what your grandma said.

I'm collaborating with a translation team, so I have little tech info for you. But later someone in the proofreading team will help you with everything you need to start playing with our sound videos :D

We also have a chat meeting twice a month, with the whole international linguistic team, and there you'll meet more of us.

Hugs

47 guests thanked already.
  • "Nickel Head" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 28th 2012

Language Team: English Proofreader

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Sunday, January 29th 2012, 2:27am

Hi Nomada

I misspelled it, one to many "N's"

Kanata is an aboriginal word meaning "village" or "settlement."

Until the mid-20th century, the Mohawk word "kanata" was thought to have been the origin of Canada's name. But, as evidenced by the journal of Jacques Cartier about his voyage to present-day Quebec,[1] Canada, in the early 16th century, Canada's name stems from the Saint-Lawrence Iroquoian word "canada",[2] which holds the same meaning. This Iroquoian language was spoken by the inhabitants of Stadacona and the neighbouring region near present-day Quebec City in the 16th century,[3] with words having similarities to those in related Iroquoian languages, most notably in Mohawk and Oneida.

Me..I have English white skin, French Blood, Plains Cree Heart, and Algonquin Soul. Otherwise known as a Heinz 57 ..LOL

Thanks for the info ..TTYL
Mike

48 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Monday, January 30th 2012, 11:23am

What a nice mix Mkwa ^^ And thank you for clarifying the "Canada"'s word origin!
Great to have you in the team!!
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

49 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion