You are not logged in.

• "orion37" is female
  • "orion37" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 22nd 2012

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 3:03pm

Greetings- any American Sign Language users out there??

Hello, my name is Sharon Collier. I am a student in college majoring in American Sign Language Interpreting. I have been interested for quite some time in translating serviceable information that benefits humanity as a whole into ASL. I am willing to collaborate with others who have skills in interpreting/translating/transliterating English to American Sign Language. Please feel free to contact me here or through email at orionsc37@hotmail.com. I am excited to be part of this forum!

Cheers,
Sharon

2 registered users and 43 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

brunodc, nomada

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 4:39pm

Hello Sharon, our experience with ASL is rather limited, and I'm afraid we lack the kinds of resources that would be needed in order to create versions of our materials that would really appeal to the deaf communities out there.

What we've been trying to do, on the other hand, is to make our captions more accessible by following some of the guidelines as published by the Described and Captioned Media Program.

We'd be grateful if you could provide us with any insights that would allow us to make our materials even more accessible, because we haven't been receiving a whole lot of input or feedback on this issue ever since we started taking our captioning work seriously.

Hugs! :bighug:

2 registered users and 44 guests thanked already.

nomada, orion37

• "orion37" is female
  • "orion37" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 22nd 2012

Focus Group: English Transcriber

Sunday, July 22nd 2012, 10:22pm

Thank you for your reply. :) Using captioned media is great and opens some doors of communication. Signed languages typically have their own grammatical structure, syntax, etc., which sets them apart from other languages, essentially making them languages unto themselves. I will use what resources I have such as instructors, interpreters, fellow students, and native users of ASL in order to create translations. It would be great to connect with others on this forum as well. I will contact others that may be interested to connect with this forum and see if we could possibly start ASL translations for this endeavor.

Hugs back!

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

nomada

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Monday, July 23rd 2012, 8:23am

Wow Sharooon!! I am so thrilled with your news!!! I hope you do start that language team. I will do my best to promote it and help in any way I can ^^ (Not much more than promotion and networking since my sign language is reduced to hitchiking and a couple more useless gestures :embarrassed: )

Welcome to the LTI!!
hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

orion37

Date of registration: Jul 24th 2012

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Tuesday, July 24th 2012, 12:06pm

Love to learn

ASL is not a language I know, but it is something that my wife and I are both very keen to learn.

If you are willing to teach it, or have resources in this direction, please let me know.

45 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion