You are not logged in.

CoreyB

Unregistered

Thursday, February 12th 2015, 1:53am

Interested in Proofreading TZM related articles, press releases, etc.

Hi all,

I'm Corey from Nevada, United States and am interested in helping with proofreading TZM articles, press releases, etc. I've been a supporter of TZM since December 2010 and have been involved in public outreach activities through the Portland, Oregon and Orange County, California chapters and for a short time managed the Oregon chapter website. My strength is in writing and can easily identify spelling and grammar errors.

I would like to contribute 3-5 hours per week.

Thanks!

2 registered users and 56 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

ThorHusby, Di Anna

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Thursday, February 12th 2015, 4:00pm

Welcome to the family Corey!

My name is David aka Mr_B, I also have been with TZM for years and, in a similar vein, served as the IL state chapter coord for ~2 years, and, getting to business, am also an English proofer.

There are several areas you can go to get acclimated, starting with the LTI Guidlelines at: http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/LTI_Guidelines.

In short, the 5 high level phases are 1- Transcription 2- First Round of proofreading 3- Timestamp-proofreading (timeshifting) 4- Second Round of proofreading 5- Final Review. In an *ideal* world an English proofer would spend most of their time in areas 4 & 5, abbreviated PR2 and FR. That said, their seems to be a shortage of staff these days and so I help out across all 5 areas if needed.

The two queues of interest are the Active Projects here: http://forum.linguisticteam.org/language…ctive-projects/

... and the Error Report List here: http://forum.linguisticteam.org/help-des…rror-reporting/

I suggest you browse through some of the established threads to get a feel for the environment and the flow. Once you are ready you can pick a project and get started with your subtitle edit tool of choice, such as Subtitle Edit (http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/), Aegisub (http://www.aegisub.org/) or Visual SubSync (http://www.visualsubsync.org/). (I've settled on Subtitle Edit, IMO it's the simplest for what I need and gets the job done.) OR, you can choose none of the above and just use the online edit features of dotsub, which is the repository for all LTI videos (at dotsub.com, where you will need to set up an account anyway).

That's about it or the proofreading side, unless our esteemed English Final Reviewer extraordinaire @Di Anna: has anything to add.

But wait, there's more! Did you say you had website skills too? LTI global coord @Ray: has a steady backlog of such tasks he could use your help with.
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

6 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Thursday, February 12th 2015, 11:30pm

Welcome Corey!

Hi, Corey. :wave: I'm Di Anna, but I'm mostly called Di. Those who REALLY respect me (like @Mr_B: ) often call me Lady Di. :ahaha:

Mr_B has given you a very nice introduction. I would suggest beginning slowly. The LTI Forum is BIG, and it would be a good idea just to look around and 'get a feel of the place' for a while. Much of what I do for TZM and TVP is proofreading video subtitles.I'll be happy to help you in that area.

If you are browsing the Active Projects, we often suggest beginning with stage 1 or 2 of proofreading (PR1 or PR2). But before you can do that, you will need an account on dotsub.com, which is the tool we use to proofread and edit video subtitles. When you setup an account on dotsub.com, let me know your username and I'll add you to the English proofreading group of ninjas.

Meanwhile, just take your time getting used to the Forum, the English Guidelines, dotsub.com, and the wonderful community of believers who live here.

Much love and many hugs to you,Corey. Please don't hesitate to ask questions as you explore.
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

48 guests thanked already.

CoreyB

Unregistered

Friday, February 13th 2015, 9:19pm

Thanks for the responses, will explore. :) I have basic experience with web pages with editing and updating info.

1 registered user and 43 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

CoreyB

Unregistered

Friday, February 13th 2015, 9:35pm

With Dotsub will the basic account work for our projects or do I need to upgrade? Username is coreyb15

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, February 13th 2015, 9:37pm

Good for you, Corey :thumbup:

I think the question would be to ask yourself where you would like to contribute. It seems you have lots of abilities, and all can be of value. The key would be to discover what 'your' passion is. Have fun exploring... and don't hesitate to ask questions as you go.

Nice to have you in the LTI Community!
:smiley: Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

80 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, February 13th 2015, 10:15pm

Corey,
I have added you to the group of English Proofreaders on dotsub, so you should be good to go on any of our projects when you log into dotsub.

If you want to try your skills at proofreading subtitles, take a look at the Active Projects in the Forum and if you decide to try one (I would suggest P1 or P2), be sure to announce your intentions to proofread on the forum thread.

The 'working location' link is indicated on the first post for whatever project you are interested in proofreading. For example: 'Peter Joseph and the Zeitgeist Movement at the Young Turks', is in the 1st proofreading (P1) stage and is located HERE. The link to the 'working location' on the first post of the thread should take you there. Now that I've added you to the proofreaders group, you should be able to edit the subtitles.

VERY IMPORTANT: Whatever you decide to work on, you should announce it by posting on the thread. This will prevent others from jumping in and messing with what you are working on.

Hope this makes sense :dunno:
Di

45 guests thanked already.

CoreyB

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 17th 2015, 11:05am

It makes sense, thanks for your help. :)

1 registered user and 46 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion