You are not logged in.

• "Peasha" started this thread

Date of registration: Aug 22nd 2015

Language Team: American Sign Language

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 4:17pm

Intro.

Hi! I'm Alysha from California. I'd like to volunteer with translating to American Sign Language

3 registered users and 47 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna, Ray, zedom

• "Peasha" started this thread

Date of registration: Aug 22nd 2015

Language Team: American Sign Language

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 4:34pm

After exploring the website I'm understanding it is translating to captions? There are many Deaf people who don't have great reading skills as English isn't the same as ASL. Has there been any thought of having someone signing the translation? For example in a small box on the corner of the screen. Much like you would see on a news channel that was being interpreted live.

2 registered users and 51 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 8:12pm

Welcome, Peasha, to LTI :wave:

Translating to American Sign Language? How wonderful! I'm not sure we have any tools in our toolbox to help bring this about. But, wouldn't it be terrific! My guess is that it would cost $$ to do what you suggest, and unless we can find some developers who would be willing to do it for free, I'm not sure how it would come to pass. @Ray: will be able to give more details, I'm sure.

I'm so impressed that you have explored the Forum enough to know that we are using subtitles in our videos.

Happy your path has crossed ours!
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 43 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 11:12pm

Welcome Alysha! :rose:

Making these materials abundantly available for the deaf has been one of several 'very important long-range development goals' since LTI was started, with the hope/expectation that someone might eventually arrive who is both willing and able to help expand our system in that direction. So, maybe you can tell from that that I am very happy that you are asking about this.

I can try to start us in the right direction by listing some things that such a focus will require, and perhaps we can chat a bit deeper to determine what, if anything, may still be missing from this list. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to pull together, if we can generate enough connections with deaf folks who are already adept at producing such picture-in-picture (PiP) videos.

• The team will need a 'home' within the forum for managing individual projects, much like the language Teams already have. I'll set that up as soon as we are ready to begin inviting people to join the team. The same thing goes for setting up a global distribution channel in YouTube (and eventually, in other socially connected sites).
  • Such a focus group will need to establish some semblance of 'common tools' to be used by members who come in to help, so that everyone will be able to help everyone else learn & use the tools to high degree, while also collectively ensuring a high level of quality control over the results. Anyone who already has significant experience in producing them will be of great benefit to the team in this area, but keep in mind that it's best to settle on freely available software that people will not need to purchase (unless we find that only one or two 'makers' are needed, and they join the group already owning such software).
  • I will need to guide 'anyone volunteering to help coordinate this' through the LTI system a bit, so that they know how to introduce a new project, encourage all activity to be posted to its thread, what to do when any kind of complications arise, what to do when a project is completed, etc..
  • I know there are other things that could be listed here, but let's not overload ourselves with more than we can consider this early on. ;)

Additional thoughts:
We will need to develop strong communication between all eventual members of the team with Di Anna and myself. Di Anna is a retired English Teacher/Librarian who can provide very strong assistance with any difficulties in fully understanding the content/context of the captions that have been produced by the English Department, as that may affect how the signer goes about converting the information into sign. As LTI's global 'Orchestra Conductor', I will help you build up the project in ways that allow it to become a very strong and integral part of the larger systems approach foundation we have built here over the years.
Because my favorite uncle (now deceased) was deaf his entire life, I'm aware that there are variations in sign 'dialect', so we may need some discussion focused on that.
And since this is a truly all-inclusive global awareness effort, I would love to eventually (not now, of course) expand whatever we develop here into making it easy for signers in other parts of the world to be able to come in and re-create these videos in their more local signing dialect so the materials can be better understood in their areas of the world.

P.S. If you have Skype, please add me (gmanzm). Note that we use it for its 'text chat' component. ;)
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

2 registered users and 44 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, zedom

Used tags

ASL

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion