• "Grunthle" is male
  • "Grunthle" started this thread

Date of registration: Oct 15th 2011

Language Team: Thai

Focus Group: Translator
Language Coordinator

Saturday, October 15th 2011, 2:37pm

Hello... my name's Johnny.

From what I can see, Thailand has yet to set up a chapter or coordinator. I'm currently trying to recruit other Thais in an attempt to create a translations team. I would really like to create Thai subs for the the movie "Moving Forward," so I can start to distribute it throughout academia. However, I'm not familiar with pootle or dotsub, so it might take me a while to get things up and running. If someone has already developed a chapter or translations team, please direct me to them. I'd like to help out.

About me: I'm an American/Thai who grew up in the states. Did my five in the Marine Corps as a helo mech, then got an English degree from CSUN. After graduating, I came to Thailand to learn more about the culture and language and ended up teaching English. I've been here for three and a half years now.
Signature from »Grunthle« Life is simple... do what makes you happy.

52 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Sunday, October 16th 2011, 7:03pm

Hi, Johnny!

It's great that you already have a goal in mind. :) Dotsub is very easy and intuitive to use, just follow the instructions on this tutorial: http://dotsub.com/view/30764f64-ffd1-4867-9151-3568179037e7

And here is a link to ZMF itself, where you can translate it: http://dotsub.com/view/aa14042d-a091-44c0-861f-1d2acefb7c4f

Also, as you said you'd like to try and create a translations team, I'll point you to a Thai google group, currently not active, where you can go and ask if someone is interested in translating stuff. Maybe you will get someone from there. - https://groups.google.com/group/thai-linguistic-team

There are other ways to get more volunteers, of course, but it depends on if you're interested in that. :)

Please take a look around and say if you need anything. :)

82 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, October 16th 2011, 10:10pm

Hi Johnny!! I share the same feeling as Lizardman : ) Let us know if you join that google email group and we can make you owner of the group so you can be able to manage it and access the contacts of the other members.

Ask anything you need. Like Lizardman said, there are many other ways to find more supporters that are willing to do something but just haven't found us; so we just have to find them or create structures on the internet that they will find sooner or later.

There is a link to a facebook group on the top of the forum page. Maybe there you will have also a nice feeling of how the LTI is like an international family :thumbsup:

hugs,
rodrigo (nomada)
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

47 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Monday, October 17th 2011, 8:29am

Hey Johnny, best of luck for the translation of Zeitgeist Movinf Forward :)

48 guests thanked already.
  • "Grunthle" is male

Language Coordinator

Monday, October 17th 2011, 10:32am

I've joined the Thai Lignuistic Team on Google Groups

Thank you all very much for the help. I've started a bit of work on the movie, however I think it'd be better if I focused my attentions towards recruiting more translators because 2 hours and 40 mins is quite a daunting task when you're running solo:) Umm... I'm also slightly confused as to whether I should use the google group site to organize teams and discussions or do I use the language team's playground? Nomada, you had mentioned there are various ways of finding other supporters... setting up something online??? I'm pretty green, but I'm all ears. I just want to get this up and running as efficiently as possible within the next two weeks before the new semester starts (I won't have nearly as much free time then). Thanks again everyone.

51 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Monday, October 17th 2011, 3:35pm

Hi again,

Well, you can use whatever medium that you find brings best results. We were using google groups before but we moved to this forum because it has the advantage of bringing in one place everything the Linguistic Team is. For example, a translator can seek help from native English speakers about the meaning of a word or sentence. There is also a lot of talk on the forums about how to go about translating stuff, what working methods are possible, various problems that translators are struggling with, etc. And this full integration of all languages and teams was what we were after when creating this forum. So, there are definitely benefits in bringing people here. But, again, every language team has its own specifics and should go with whatever is best for their situation. :)

And about the question of getting more people involved - you can go to various facebook pages that are related to the concept of RBE. You can try to seek Thai networks (forums, sites, fb pages, whatever) that are supportive of what we talk about. Perhaps there are some formed groups on the Net (because for example I see there are 387 people from Thailand registered on thezeitgeistmovement.com), but it needs investigating. Additionally, from time to time someone from a given language sends an email saying they would like to help with translations, and then that email is forwarded to the particular language coordinator. So that is another opportunity, but there is also responsibility to it, because you have to supply some information to the volunteers and guide them to the tools and methods we utilize. But if you're interested in doing this, say so and we'll try to help you get all of this started. :smiley:

43 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Monday, October 17th 2011, 5:15pm

Hi Johnny!

Maybe you will have some replies in the group mail and you can pull them into the forum ; )

To recruit takes some time, so better start now : ) I already did a search on facebook and only found this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-Tha…k=wall&filter=1

If no other platforms/posts already exist, why not start now creating one? Many people must use the search engines and find no results for "zeitgeist thailand", "Venus Project Thailand" or whatever. so they probably think there is no one around. For this, there are some networks with a lot of movement. And if you will be the only one, the search results then to highlight your links ;) :
- facebook location (group, page, profile)

- twitter

- youtube channel or youtube links in thai

- the Zeitgeist Movement Forum: http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/joom…=100115&lang=en

- the Venus Project Activism Page: http://www.tvpactivism.com/

Let me know if you need help with any of these :smiley:
my skype, if you prefer: "azoreno"

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

44 guests thanked already.
  • "Grunthle" is male

Language Coordinator

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 9:04am

Please make me the coordinator for the Thai Linguistic Team

Hello. I'm now familiar with all the sites: pootle, dotsub, LTI forums, gmail groups, thunderbird, team talk, etc... and I've found a few people (with your help... thank you so much) ready to lend a helping hand. So here is my contact info:

Facebook/Gmail:
johnny.champakan@gmail.com

teamtalk:
Grunthle

Cell: 0801875500

Thanks a lot

47 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 11:35am

Nice news, Johnny 8o

I added you to the wiki already: http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Categor…ge_Coordinators

I suggest you add your skype contact to your profile. It is indeed a very mportant tool to be shared, at least between coordinators and maybe between you and team mates: http://forum.linguisticteam.org/user/221-grunthle/

You also need to contact Ray/Gman on skype: gmanzm , so he can make you a tour through Pootle ;)

PS - there are some Thai volunteers in our facebook group. Give a look: http://www.facebook.com/groups/LinguisticTeamInternational/

Nice to have you around!!
hugs

52 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion