Hi

• "Skyebug77" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 5th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader

Wednesday, December 7th 2011, 3:43am

Hi

I everyone. I got pulled into the linguistics team a couple of days ago. I am looking forward to proofreading and editing the transcripts. I guess I will begin the tutorial below this and get to work.

25 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, December 7th 2011, 8:30am

Hey Skyebug, welcome to the team! I'm gonna give you the usual rundown of the way we run things over here in terms of English transcriptions :)

A new video comes to our attention, we add it to dotSUB (tutorial here) which is the platform we use to transcribe and translate videos, and where we open them for everyone to work on. The steps go as follows:
  • Transcription : the video is open for all to transcribe.

• Proofreading Round 1 : when the transcription is done, is goes through a first round of proofreading.

• Timeshifting : after a round of proofreading, we adjust the subtitles' timestamps so that they fit perfectly with the audio, so as to make them as readable and translatable as possible

• After timeshifting, the video goes through 2 other rounds of proofreading : we call those steps "Proofreading Round 2" and "Final Review". The goal here is to get at least 3 people to check out the video, because some people might spot errors that other people might have overlooked.

The main place where to look for new projects to transcribe or proofread is the Working Locations page in the wiki.

We also strongly recommend that you give the Linguistic Team International Guidelines a serious look before taking on a project, as well as the English language guidelines, which are essential for proofreaders.

When someone feels like transcribing or proofreading a video, they post on the relevant forum thread to let everybody else know and avoid duplicate work.

While we proofread, we are taking some notes regarding some of the tougher spots where we had some difficulties, either because the speaker is barely audible, or if the sentence structure is weird, among other examples... You'll find that we have a notepad for every project.

The best way to do things obviously is to just put your hands in the dough! What we usually try to do is to have some kind of a mentor answering all your specific questions regarding the process as you start working with us. It all depends on the degree of "independence" you want to have in your relationship with the team.

You'll notice that some people in the English department are more "specialized" for specific tasks, it's very helpful because we know we can count on them to do key tasks along the way and the whole team feeds off of itself :)

We have Rakoniscek for transcriptions,

Cris, Iskren, Nomada and myself for timeshifting,

Julie, JonWhit and Joe Park for proofreading

and the fabulous Di Anna for final reviews!

This was a very quick summary of our activities, so please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have regarding the process. :)

1 registered user and 27 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion