You are not logged in.

• "ThorHusby" started this thread

Date of registration: Aug 15th 2014

Language Team: Norwegian, English, Native language: Norwegian.

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Team Assistant

Saturday, August 16th 2014, 3:43pm

Hello from volunteer in Norway

Hello everybody!

I'm Thor from Norway. I'm excited to join this group of fine folks. I haven't transcribed anything before, but I think I would be able to do it. I just got somewhat familiar with the tools of dotSUB so I'm ready to have a go at a video. My native language is norwegian, but I'm fairly proficient in English, so I'm hoping to transcribe in English.

I've browsed through a couple dozen videos in the *Video working locations' page and it seems that most of the videos there have a 100 percent captions in English. Is there an easy way to find videos (short ones, since I'm a noob) that isn't fully transcribed? And how do I know if anyone is planning on transcribing any video that I find? Is there a thread for that?

Thank you, guys. Eager to get started.

:)

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

FrankySnatra

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Saturday, August 16th 2014, 6:06pm

Hello Thor,

Nice to meet you. :)

On the main forum page, you can scroll down until you reach the English Dep't section where you will see all current activity related to transcribing and proofreading of English subtitles. Take a look at a few threads there to get a sense of the workflow we utilize (each video goes through several rounds of work on the English subs until it is ready for other language teams to translate it).

I'd also suggest that you take a look at the guidelines before starting any work.

There's more, but that should be enough info for now. :) Try to digest it and come back with any questions you might have. :)

After you feel you're starting to understand the approach to English subtitles creation that we've developed (and continue to develop), it would be time to choose a project and dive into it.

2 registered users and 49 guests thanked already.

ThorHusby, ossi11111

Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Team Assistant

Sunday, August 17th 2014, 10:03pm

Nice to meet you too, lizardman.

Thank you for directing me one step further :) I have done as you advised and I feel I got a better overview of the process now.

When I read through a thread in the English Dep't section I noticed that somebody recommended a newcomer a waveform program to sync subtitles with audio. Do you recommend that I get something like that?

In your post you said there is more to learn. I'm all ears (or rather; eyes). :)

1 registered user and 51 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra

• "ossi11111" is male

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2013

Language Team: German

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Monday, August 18th 2014, 7:53am

Hi Thor,

I would recommend that you do a proofreading for the start to get more familiar with the working processes. The creation of transcripts from scratch (where a program able to show the waveform helps a lot) is more complicated than proofreading. If you get along with the proofreading you can try to get more involved. In my opinion it is easier to learn if you do it step by step and start with the easiest tasks and go to the more complicated tasks over time.

So I personally would aim for projects that are in stage 2 or 4 in this section:
http://forum.linguisticteam.org/language…ctive-projects/

Please, let me know what you think of this approach.
Signature from »ossi11111« Willst du beim Übersetzen mithelfen?
E-Mail an: GermanLingTeam@gmail.com

Bisher veröffentlichte Videos mit deutschen Untertiteln:
GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 64 guests thanked already.

ThorHusby

Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Team Assistant

Monday, August 18th 2014, 10:43am

Hey @ossi11111:,

Ok, I will try and do some proofreading (I hope that my English is up to specs). :embarrassed:

3 registered users and 49 guests thanked already.

ossi11111, Borislav/lizardman, FrankySnatra

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Thursday, August 21st 2014, 8:23am

@ThorHusby Hey, mate. I think Ossi's approach is better for a newcomer. I think it would be better if you started with a first-round proofreading, so you can take a look at an already finished transcription and time-shifting. About learning more, that's a continuum here in LTI but it depends on what you look for and what you want to learn. If you have any questions or doubts in what you do, feel free to ask on "Help Desk".

Welcome on board,
CP
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 48 guests thanked already.

ThorHusby

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion