English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Team Assistant
Public Relations Group

Thursday, July 30th 2015, 10:34pm

Questions

Hello, everyone! I am new here on LTI and I am trying to figure out how to begin. There is a list with some questions I didn't find answers to. Can anyone, please help with some answers? Thank you.

How do I upload video for translation? I mean where from?
How do I know the video is not being translated by somebody else, so that we don't double the work?
Do I upload them on YouTube or on DotSub?
DotSub says you can use the programme for free for a month only.
Is it a must to use DotSub?
What other choices do I have for free?

Thank you, again.
Multumesc
Signature from »Annie Ann« Annie Ann

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Friday, July 31st 2015, 3:50am

Perhaps global coord @Ray: can provide more accurate answers but:

All video projects reside in what are called Working Locations (WL) in dotsub, and are initially downloaded (from YouTube typically) and put there by Ray, with other copies going to the "official" LTI location, and also a Repository location as an archive. All these links are at the beginning of each project page on the Active Projects page. Once a vid is English-mastered and opened for translation, if you want a local copy for your own computer to work against, there are tools like SaveFrom.net, that can download accessible vids, from say the YT link provided.

How do I know the video is not being translated by somebody else, so that we don't double the work?
Simply claim it in the forum thread for that vid, or, if say a longer vid, perhaps hook up with a teammate and split the translation work between you (first half|second half).

Sorry, not sure I'm following you. If you want a copy for your own computer, that's downloading not uploading; see above. I am not aware of any scenario where us worker bees would "upload" a vid from our computers to YT or dotsub; Ray handles all of that.

It would be unfortunate if this were the case as LTI has been truly blessed with free access to dotsub for years, due to the generosity and empathy of the former CEO (who believed in our cause), but this may be changing.

It depends on what you mean by "use." This is the tool of choice for LTI, and where all our vids are located. But beyond getting a copy of a) the vid, and b) the English master SRT file to work from, you do not have to actually "use" dotsub to translate if you have a local setup of the vid and a captioning tool on your own computer. (This is what I typically do for my English mastering work.)

What other choices do I have for free?
Free subtitle editor tools I'm aware of off the top of my head are SubTitle Edit , AegiSub , and VisualSubSync .

Hope this helps!

Mr_B
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

2 registered users and 47 guests thanked already.

Ray, Di Anna

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Friday, July 31st 2015, 6:14am

Welcome Annie! :rose:
Mr_B was quite thorough with his responses, but he may have missed that you're with the Romanian Team and are asking more specifically about helping with translations. I'll try to fill in some additional blanks to supplement his post.

There is nothing at all for you to upload, since all LTI projects are already set up by LTI's admin group in very specific "Working Locations" within dotSUB long before they reach the translation stage. Instead, become familiar with our master listing of all RBE materials (videos & text-based) that are already "open for translation", as well as what the Romanian Team has already completed &/or what is currently being worked on by someone (you'll need to connect with the Romanian Team coordinator, Bakty (Marcel) to learn that part).

As Mr_B said, announce your intention to translate or proofread a project within the appropriate Romanian Team area of the forum, so that others know that you are working on it. There are separate sections for projects that are in Translation vs. being Proofread vs. Fully Completed, so you might think of it as a kind of assembly line, where each project moves from one stage to the next until it is complete, with each stage being handled by a different person to avoid linguistic bias. ^^

Once the Romanian Team coordinator alerts LTI's admin group that a project has been completed, an admin group member handles that task.

I'm guessing that they are offering a one month 'taste' of a premium account. A standard dotSUB account is free and not limited to a month.

Hopefully, with the info that Mr_B and I have provided so far, most, if not all, concerns about using dotSUB have been alleviated. dotSUB is a unified approach to managing all of the languages across a wide variety of video projects, which would quickly escalate to 'impossible to manage' if we didn't have a single place for all official translations to be developed. Having said that, it is not uncommon for members to grab a copy of an existing sub (or its English transcript) and handle some or all of the effort within a 'local' program, like Mr_B mentioned. The thing to remember is that dotSUB uses a unified time-stamp set, so you will need to avoid adjusting any time-stamps during any translation/proofreading sessions.

I hope we have been able to clear up each of your concerns. If not, please don't hesitate to reply back with more. In fact, please never hesitate to ask any question you might have, ever, no matter how 'simple' you think they might be. If you don't know something, there is an excellent chance that someone else could also benefit from its answer (which makes you the hero for being the one to ask it!). We're all in this together and we aim to help everyone as much as possible. ;)
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

Annie Ann

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion