You are not logged in.

[Pootle Typo] TZM Defined

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, December 18th 2012, 12:24am

Had already done it, but not in reference to TZM Orientation 2012 but to the Error Report section in general :thumbup:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 50 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 3:41am

Capitalization in Orientation Guide

Hey, fellas,
I'm proofreading the Orientation Guide and need you guys to weigh-in on a problem I'm having with capitalization. I've noticed that PJ has a tendency to capitalize certain common nouns. I suspect he may be doing it for emphasis or to indicate importance, but I'm having trouble deciding whether I should change them as that might infringe on his intent (style). Here's a few examples of what I'm referring to:

While cynics of Science often work to reduce its integrity to yet another form of “religious faith”, demean its accuracy as “cold” or “without spirituality” or even highlight consequences of applied technology... Problem: The word 'science' is a common noun and would not be capitalized.

For example, when it comes to Theistic Belief, there is often a divisive tendency...
Problem: Why would 'theistic belief' be capitalized? It's not the name of a specific religion. It's a general term.

...a causality that appears to comprise the physical characteristics of what we call “Nature” itself Same problem here with 'Nature'. In this case, I'm really bothered by the capitalization because when we capitalize the word 'Nature' it almost seems to take on the qualities of a deity. Hm...

How do you think we should handle this? Would making the corrections interfere with Peter's intent, meaning (writing style)?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm particularly interested in what translators think? Does this effect their translations (change meanings of words, etc)?
((hugs)) from me,
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

brunodc

• "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 4:31am

I understand this concern, sweet Di, and I'll go one step further and say it annoys me to see so much capitalization because translators are indeed influenced by it and we (in French) sometimes mindlessly copy it as is.

My opinion is that any text should be as neutral as possible so that there are as few people as possible who get hung up on the delivery of the speech and focus solely on the ideas themselves. My vote is: let's uncap this b****tch :D

1 registered user and 45 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 3:15pm

My opinion is that any text should be as neutral as possible so that there are as few people as possible who get hung up on the delivery of the speech and focus solely on the ideas themselves. My vote is: let's uncap this b****tch

You de man, Bru! I just LOVE the way you think. I'll give others a chance to weigh in before we over-rule them :fc-grin: , and I go 'chop-chop'. :fc-ninja:

((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

43 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 6:33pm

And then comes nomada through the church main entrance, on a white horse and says: "Wait! Don't chop anything just yet!"

Should we ask Peter his intent, just to make sure? It seems obvious to me that he wants to emphasise but even so, we could ask. If he does wants to emphasize, is there another way to do it without through capitalization?

(How come emphasise and Emphasize are both correct? :huhwhat: )

Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

44 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 7:40pm

And then comes nomada through the church main entrance, on a white horse and says: "Wait! Don't chop anything just yet!"

Sorry, my Sweet Knight on the White Horse, riding through The Church Main Entrance Door (how do you like my caps? hehehe :ahaha: ). I have consulted with G and Sir Bru of Lingual Land, and I am in total agreement with both of them. (Ray says, "It's not PJ's style." Bru, says it's disruptive!) Regardless, these usages are counter-productive to the message being presented , and the message being presented is most important here. I am going to correct this doc to the best of my ability. I will focus on preserving the message and emphasizing (or emphasising) using traditional English italics to do so. See below for explanation taken from an internet usage forum which expresses the confusion between emphasizing and emphasising very well:

In BE we accept either ise or ize, but consistency is important.
We think AE always uses ize.

AE speakers suggest that in AE it's ize - although you may use ise without raising too many eyebrows. Consistency is important.
They think that BE always uses ise.

The most important thing we can do in this doc is preserve the message, and after spending too much of my time flippin' and floppin'---that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

PS: Love ya, my Sweet Knight On The White Horse Riding Through The Main Entrance of the Church Door
Di :loveya:

nomada

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, January 1st 2013, 9:26pm

I guess they have good arguments and I am starting to conform. I have some dish washing to do, anyway, so I'll solve any leftovers of this subject on my mind with it. :tonguer:

Love you sweet friends :loveya:

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 10:07pm

Need Team Input for AOG Experiment

Hello, Sweet Cookies, :wave:
I have an experiment in mind. :fc-franken: If you are willing to help me with this, it could mean great things for the new AOG (I hope) . Here's what I want you to do. Please read the following excerpts and vote on which one speaks more clearly to you regarding the message being conveyed. Another way to think of this would be: Which one is easier for you to translate?

Here's where you go to participate in the EXPERIMENT. :fc-franken: :fc-evilgrin: :fc-gear:

I'll post feedback on this, once I see what is submitted. Exciting, huh? :fc-exciting:

Thanks for you participation.
((hugs)),
Di

2 registered users and 47 guests thanked already.

nomada, ralle4

Public Relations Group

Friday, January 4th 2013, 12:57am

hehe! diving in!! :fc-nerd:

1 registered user and 46 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Alter-Children" is male

Date of registration: Jul 9th 2011

Translation Proofreader

Sunday, February 24th 2013, 7:01pm

1\3.The_Scientific_Worldview.html html.body.p:58

Quoted

In fact, there are so many examples of environmental disturbances perpetuated by our species today due to a truncated awareness of this symbiotic cause and effect that links all known categorical systems, volumes could be dedicated to the crisis.

Does It make sense ? The end seems weird for me.

1\3.The_Scientific_Worldview.html html.body.p:74

Quoted

Every modern convenience we take for granted is a result of this method whether recognized or not as the inherent, self-generating, mechanistic logic is found to be universally applicable to all known phenomena.

Seems like a word is missing, I would add "that" between "mechanistic logic" and "is found".
Signature from »Alter-Children« Find me : Trello
  • Les majuscules en français : Wikipedia
  • Les espaces autour des signes de ponctuation : Wikipedia
  • Espace insécable Linux : AltGr + Maj + Espace | Windaube : Alt + 255

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Alter-Children" (Feb 24th 2013, 10:03pm)

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, February 24th 2013, 10:19pm

Hello, Alter-Children,

AOG is Final Review at this time in the English Team, and I have just checked the two passages you quoted here. (Notice how I left out 'that' and could have said 'the two passages [that] you quoted here.)

As for the first passage, we have determined it to be good standard English. I'm not sure what you mean by 'weird'. The volumes? If so, that refers to many volumes of texts or books.

As for inserting 'that' in the second quote, yes, it is really understood to be there. Sometimes relative pronouns that introduce clauses like this one are left out in English (just understood to be there). Inserting 'that' is surely okay if it helps with your translation efforts.

Hope this helps,
((hugs))
Di

1 registered user and 49 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "Alter-Children" is male

Date of registration: Jul 9th 2011

Translation Proofreader

Monday, February 25th 2013, 7:21pm

Thanks Di Anna, basically these two sentences were all about "that" :)
Signature from »Alter-Children« Find me : Trello
  • Les majuscules en français : Wikipedia
  • Les espaces autour des signes de ponctuation : Wikipedia
  • Espace insécable Linux : AltGr + Maj + Espace | Windaube : Alt + 255

1 registered user and 42 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "ralle4" is female

Date of registration: Jul 27th 2012

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, February 26th 2013, 2:12am

Every modern convenience we take for granted is a result of this method whether recognized or not as the inherent, self-generating, mechanistic logic is found to be universally applicable to all known phenomena.
I think we could use a couple more commas OR parentheses in here, too. Either 1 comma after method and 1 after not Or (whether recognized or not) enclosed in parentheses like so. I think it aids comprehension as well as being technically correct.

1 registered user and 46 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, February 26th 2013, 2:50am

Yes, the Final Review has just been completed on this portion of AOG and the English Team has corrected it this way:

Every modern convenience we take for granted is a result of this method, whether recognized or not, as the inherent, self-generating, mechanistic logic is found to be universally applicable to all-known phenomena.

Thanks, Ramona
((hugs))
Di

2 registered users and 45 guests thanked already.

ralle4, Borislav/lizardman

• "ralle4" is female

Date of registration: Jul 27th 2012

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, February 26th 2013, 3:21am

' Welcome. :) I think it's right. :) Good job 'English Team', lol. :)

1 registered user and 42 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion