• "IsmaRod" started this thread

Date of registration: Apr 9th 2013

Language Team: Poruguese (Portugal)

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, April 27th 2013, 1:27am

Work Sucks

Work Sucks

My friends

I´ve started the portuguese translation for this video and found some potential typos:

00:13
00:16 yourself then you should be able to sell your time body and hance (...)your freedom(...)

I believe the correct form would be hence

02:52
02:55 all those wont to be artists, sociologists and investigative journalists

The right way is more likely want

03:12
03:15 the manager is well imposed work tempos, production quotas

I think it's something like: the manager's well imposed work tempos, production quotas (as in possession)

04:13
04:20 it was beyond the capacity of demonic dictator such as Nero, Genghis Khan and Ivan the terrible

Considering there's more than one dictator (also I've heard it), we must use plural:
it was beyond the capacity of demonic dictator(s) such as Nero, Genghis Khan and Ivan the terrible

04:22
04:27 they just didn't have the machinery to control their subject as thoroughly as modern despites do

It´s still refering to dictators and tyrants, so the right word is despots

05:36
05:38 and studs human potentiality

If I heard it right he says stuns which makes a bit more sense

05:38
05:42 repetition is the enemy of every worker the chains of humanity

On this one I think he says: repetition is the enemy of every worker, that chains up humanity

I'm still working on this so I'll keep looking for more.

Hope 2 B right :thumbsup:

Bye for now, hugs

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "IsmaRod" (Apr 27th 2013, 4:11am)

54 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, April 27th 2013, 8:49am

My friends

I´ve started the portuguese translation for this video and found some potential typos:

Hi Luís! This is not a project from the Ling.Team list and so it was not revised nor synchronized by the English team. Nevertheless, the communication of your efforts, and that of all other volunteers that work on these projects, will help avoid double efforts and reach quality. So, find it great to see all your efforts there! ^^ And in fact, I'll post the link to this forum thread in the comments under that video on dotsub ;)

hugs

PS - In case you want to focus only on LTI projects and you don't know where to find them, here is the forum location for it. If you see that the project is not started in your language or does not exist in your language's forum, feel free to copy the info from the respective thread into a new thread in your language team's forum section, so others can know about your initiatives:
http://forum.linguisticteam.org/board2-l…-english-dep-t/

Have fun! :party:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 52 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Tuesday, September 9th 2014, 12:52am

As Nomada states, this is not a Ling Team project, and this is painfully obvious by its excessively long lines in several places, its coarse and out-of-sync timing breaks, and its all-lowercase text which is barely punctuated in any way.

That said, it is an excellent piece, a quick race thru history that clearly drives home the calculated drudgery, slavery and indignity of human labor. Apparently this piece was put together 4 years ago by 'The Left-Libertaian' and the original youtube link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArkJmUOIqM.

So I went ahead, made a quick pass trough the SRT and at least punched in proper punctuation, corrected many phrases including those pointed out above, and spellchecked. So this was effectively a first review in our system. And the revised SRT attached is much better, BUT, it still has excessively long lines and coarse and out of sync timing changes, so if we want to keep this orphan piece we need to pull it in and do the job right, ie, properly timestamp shift it, linebreak adjust it then do a final review of it. This of course will completely disrupt the existing translations (Arabic & Portuguese, with the Chinese only 10% done), so I don't even know if it is worth all this effort.

Thoughts anyone?
Mr_B has attached the following files:
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Tuesday, September 9th 2014, 1:05pm

After sleeping on this, regardless of what we decide, Nomada please at least push this revised SRT back out to dot sub loc for now (there are just a couple more fixes in the attached v3 of the SRT.)

I realized that there is a 4-year long discussion thread behind this on its youtube page, and out of goodwill we might as well offer them a much cleaner English transcription. Once you do so I can compose a greeting msg to post on the youtube thread myself, inviting them to check out the new and improved dotsub version, while also throwing in a pitch for LTI, of course!
Mr_B has attached the following file:
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, September 11th 2014, 5:35pm

The video was not uploaded from our dotsub account, so I'm not sure whether we can make changes to the English subtitles. Does anyone know if we can maybe contact the dotsub uploader?

1 registered user and 42 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, September 14th 2014, 7:50pm

I created this project in Amara from the youtube location.
I added also the English revised srt from MrB plus the languages that were on the dotsub location. Amara allows to change each of them without interfering with the others and we can revise them according to the English version and timing too or adjust the timing of the strings as we go. This might be a simpler option?

http://www.amara.org/en/videos/4u9l68zRxGEc/info/work-sucks/

Love your moves, MrB. you kick our buts forward.

@IsmaRod: I'm with you on this, buddy. work really sucks! I'll give you a call first thing when I find a cabana below the coconuts in a safe spot for sea-level rise. Fighting till the end!
hugs <3

<3 Lizzie
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 44 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman, Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, September 14th 2014, 11:29pm

Thx Nomada, sure enough the SRT is pushed out, but not sure what you are saying. Do we just close this thread now?
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 43 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, December 13th 2014, 12:27am

No reply, marking closed. Can be re-opened if still any issues.
English Dept coord

46 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion