You are not logged in.

  • "kwizrak" started this thread

Posts: 138

Date of registration: Oct 6th 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: English Transcriber
Timestamp Adjustment Team
Translator
Language Team Assistant
Linguistic TechTeam Group

Thanks: 4672 / 9

  • Send private message

1

Sunday, October 13th 2013, 9:40am

Old Projects on pootle, HTML fixing

I don't now if this is the right place to put this, or even if the prefix is the correct one. If someone thinks that it's better to put it on another board... let me know.

To the point.
I have recently started translation the Global Documents on Pootle. I found that there is a discrepancy between this project and the new AOG (2012) regarding the HTML tags.
In particular from Global Documents to new AOG

New lines are denoted as "\n" were converted to <br>
The "#" which i think refers to "the same document" should be implemented in the contents to point out the respective section of the document
Links were not included inside the <href> tag
Titles were not included inside a <strong> tag

Also as a general notice, I would update some of the links as they are not working. All of which I tested are in their respective Pootle Typo pages.

Edit: Also I think that each line of the contents should be entered in seperate units

1 registered user and 40 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

  • "lizardman" is male

Posts: 568

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Thanks: 22547 / 483

  • Send private message

2

Sunday, October 13th 2013, 2:39pm

Hi kwizrak,

You should know that one of Pootle's functions is to remove all possible HTML tags so that they don't appear in front of the translator. Whenever this is possible, the tags are removed and then later added in the process of extraction from Pootle.

The \n and <br> tags essentially do the same thing. The result is the same, but for some projects (e.g. websites) the <br> tag can be preferred.

Putting all lines as separate units I think would make a project very cumbersome. It would probably create more complication, and we try to simplify everything in regards to bringing a project into Pootle and then converting the translation to the end format. This is basically handled on a per case basis because there are no strict 'rules', but what we strive for is simplification for everyone. I know this explanation doesn't give much information, but the only alternative is to go into the way Pootle works, and I'm sure that wouldn't help. Sorry I can't offer a better explanation.

It's good that you are paying attention to all of these things. If you have more suggestions/feedback, it's always welcome. :)

2 registered users and 39 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

kwizrak, Ray

  • "kwizrak" started this thread

Posts: 138

Date of registration: Oct 6th 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: English Transcriber
Timestamp Adjustment Team
Translator
Language Team Assistant
Linguistic TechTeam Group

Thanks: 4672 / 9

  • Send private message

3

Monday, October 14th 2013, 8:16am

I mentioned that in order to have some common rules in the next projects and/or the old ones. All the projects in Pootle, potentially are "website embedded. That means that each team is going to embed it on their respective website with one way or another. And of course it looks much better to embed it as HTML rather than simple pdf. So i think that all projects should be treated as sites.
I understand and see the merit of not having HTML tags at all, but sometimes is necessary. For example, even if pdf is created, the links must be there. And the only way to be there is to implement the HTML <href> tags.
The new Pootle platform gives the tools to the translator (colored tags, hit a tag to copy to the translation box etc) in order not to be a bothersome procedure.
And of course the tags that I propose are very few compared to the ones that may be in a "real" site. I think they are kept to the bare minimum. <br> in changing lines, <strong> in titles and <href> in links.

1 registered user and 32 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

  • "lizardman" is male

Posts: 568

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Thanks: 22547 / 483

  • Send private message

4

Monday, October 14th 2013, 3:53pm

Maybe we misunderstood each other about the tags not being there. What I meant is that they are there, but they just don't show up for the translators. When you extract out of Pootle, the tags are added back. Like I said, this is true for all cases where it is possible to make it. In many cases it is not, so the tags show for the translators.

Yes, I think you are very right about everything potentially being website embedded. This is not a problem at all - the problem is just to have a way to retain the formatting/layout. When you get it out of Pootle with the proper formatting, it's just a matter of pasting it inside a WYSIWYG editor and get the HTML source code.

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

  • "Mr_B" is male

Posts: 866

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Thanks: 24125 / 34

  • Send private message

5

Sunday, September 14th 2014, 12:42am

As this thread is almost a year old with no further activity, I will assume resolution has been reached and I am marking the thread as closed, thx.
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 29 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion