You are not logged in.

[Typo in Finished Item] Confusing sibtitles

• "fabrico" started this thread

Date of registration: Jul 17th 2011

Language Team: translation proofreader

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader

Wednesday, August 19th 2015, 1:33am

Confusing sibtitles

This system generates predatory behavior where we take advantage of other people. You say "Well, that's human nature!" [because] that's the way things are today and there's always been scarcity.
So most people are out to take care of themselves, and say "If you don't take care of yourself, no one is going to take care of you" and so they make us predatory; the system is like that.

The [because] is very confusing to me , I read it as a continuation of the "You said"
I suggest: You say "Well, that's human nature!" That's the way things are today and there's always been scarcity.

https://youtu.be/2MDWW3iddPY?t=461

37 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: Jul 11th 2013

Language Team: Portuguese (Europe)

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Team Assistant

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 10:56pm

It does seem like a continuation to me... "You say A because of B"

34 guests thanked already.
  • "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Friday, September 18th 2015, 3:36am

Wow, did this take a wrong turn!

I absolutely agree @fabrico: There is *nothing* wrong with the original words Jacque speaks, and the insertion of [because] is not only uncalled for, but the result is confusing! Jacque is projecting "that's human nature," period, then building on that remark in the follow-on line. He is not conveying "that's human nature because that's the way things are today." IMO that does not even make sense! These are two separate standalone sentences (Jacque even takes a breath between them) that make perfect sense as is, although they should be combined in a single quote for the proper context of Jacque projecting a statement in third person. Laid out, it is:

You say "Well, that's human nature! That's the way things are today and there's always been scarcity."

So most people are out to take care of themselves, and say ...

Interestingly, this is exactly how it appears in the YT vid (so no action needs taken there), but now I'm confused, as that is the only link provided above, and not the repository or WL link.

@brunodc: or @Ray:, is this an LTI vid? If so, plz correct the English master SRT accordingly.
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

5 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion