• "AndersO" is male
  • "AndersO" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 18th 2011

Language Team: Swedish

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, January 18th 2012, 9:51pm

Which application do you use to "burn in" subtitles into movies?

Hi. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything when searching for it.

I'm in the process of "burning in" the Swedish subtitles into the movies/clips that we have translated. The reason for this is that neither YouTube nor DotSub has any ability to let us choose the subtitle language for the user. The user must always figure that out by themselves, which I think they will not always manage to. Also, some players such as the iPad player simply doesn't have any way to display subtitles at all.

So, here is the flow I use:

1. Download the movie file in .flv format from YouTube, using a "download helper" add-on for Firefox.

2. Download the .srt file from DotSub.

3. Merge them together using some kind of application.

4. Upload to our own Swedish LTI channel on YouTube.

Step 3 is where I have some trouble right now. For our first movie (http://youtu.be/QbFmhPfS4Vc) I used an application named "avimux". It was fairly simple, but unfortunately had a bug which made some subtitle lines wrap in a way that made them unreadable.

So, what I'm wondering about is if any of you know of any other good applications that can do the "burn in". Preferably also with the possibility to add black background behind the white subs, since for example the RT interviews have a lot of moving graphics that make the transparent subs hard to read.

Thanks in advance!

1 registered user and 73 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

laramide

• "Diana" is female

Date of registration: Jul 16th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator

Thursday, January 19th 2012, 12:48am

Hi Andres!
it is a nice idea especially for those who will watch the video on a mobile device ;)
I'm not much into these technical stuffs but what you're looking for is a program to make "hardsub"! I saw the videos by the Chinese team being edited as you described and I guess that the guys helping with the ling. tech. team will be able to tell us some titles ^^

Take care, hugs

1 registered user and 92 guests thanked already.

laramide

• "AndersO" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, January 19th 2012, 8:37pm

Ah, "hardsub" got me some new search results on Google. Will try to find something new.

The best option would be if we could get our hands on the original video files. That way we wouldn't lose that much quality when re-encoding them multiple times.

I hope someone from the tech team or someone else that has any good tools will find this thread. :)

1 registered user and 74 guests thanked already.

laramide

• "sydstf" is male

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2011

Language Team: Chinese

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Friday, January 20th 2012, 3:29am

Hi, dear friends, here are my some suggestions:

1.For editing subtitles(simple text effects) and timeshifting
I use a free subtitle editing software called "Aegisub" which is really powerful, and although it's not a professional one like Adobe Premiere or After Effects, I think this should be enough for amateur users(I'm also not a technical expert, I majored in English literature(liberal arts) during university...XD)

"Aegisub" allows you to set up simple text effects such as changing the font size, font color, background color, primary color, shadow color, and so on. However, if you want to use this kind of text effects, your subtitle format should be .ass(which is available on .dotsub to choose, so there's no problem) instead of using .srt format.

Moreover, the most powerful function of this software is "timeshifting". It's very simple, quick, and effective to use its timeshifting mode. I think it should be the best tool for timeshifting any .ass format subtitle files.

Their official sites is here:
http://blog.aegisub.org/

2.As for "hardsubbing" software:
I use a little more complex and professional free software called "MeGUI" which allows you to transform the video into .mp4 or .mkv so that you can upload the film in a smaller size and upload to Youtube(which supports .mp4 format).

This software is developed by the famous professional forum "Doom9". You can go to their forum for more information:
http://forum.doom9.org/

You can also download the software on http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

Just search the key word "MeGUI" so that you can find related information. This software can be used in a very professional way, but I think the basic operation should also be enough for amateurs like me.

Finally, if you don't mind, you can look at my attachment. Though it's in Chinese Simplified characters instead of English, perhaps you can still just look at the captured pictures and the English words in it. In this way, you can at least get what the interface will look like, and you can use an English version(or any linguistic version you prefer) and do your own research faster afterward.
sydstf has attached the following files:

4 registered users and 87 guests thanked already.

AndersO, brunodc, laramide, Laura

• "AndersO" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 7:01am

Hi. Thanks for the helpful reply. I downloaded and tried MeGUI, but it looks way too advanced for me. Did I mention I work as an IT consultant btw? (true story). :)

I have managed to get nice looking hardsubs into VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/), but I just can't get it to open any of the formats that I can get from YouTube, namely .flv or .mp4. There are guides and plugins on how to do it, but it seems the files that YouTube (with download helper plugin) delivers is in a slightly different format or something.

I really want to avoid doing two conversions; first from the YouTube format to a "known" VirtualDub format, and then another conversion/encoding when I put in the hardsubs.

Any more ideas? I'm gonna try to post my problem in some good VirtualDub web forum and see if I can get any answers there too.

77 guests thanked already.
  • "sydstf" is male

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2011

Language Team: Chinese

Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 8:00am

Hi, since I'm not a technical expert, I'm afraid I can't give you more good advice, ha ha. XD

As for VirtualDub, I heard it's actually an old kind of tool and is only used for .avi format(I'm not sure about this point, maybe I'm wrong).

In my opinion, I still think MeGUI is still the recommended one because you only have to load source film and subtitle file and then it will be alright. Moreover, have you heard a program called AVS? In MeGUI, there's also a simple AVS graphic user interface panel, so it shouldn't be hard to use if you only want to simply hardsub subtitles. I'm not sure your standard, but for me I just load source film and merge subtitle files without using any advanced filters or parameters.

If you really learn the basic operation, basically it can be done in ten seconds after clicking your mouse for all the necessary procedure.(I'm not kidding.) And there's no problem for .flv source films downloaded from Youtube. :)

97 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 3:01pm

www.pocketdivxencoder.net/ is the application I've used and it works OK.

I want to also mention that you can download videos from youtube also in the new WebM format. Dunno if that will help you for any of the other apps.

2 registered users and 83 guests thanked already.

brunodc, laramide

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, January 25th 2012, 3:02pm

Blowtorch?

1 registered user and 72 guests thanked already.

laramide

• "AndersO" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, January 29th 2012, 5:02pm

I gave MeGUI another try, but couldn't figure out how to do simple hardsubbing.

Then I found StaxRip, which did the job in a much more simple manner (http://staxmedia.sourceforge.net/). As far as I understand, it uses basically the same underpinning components that MeGUI, so the speed and quality is probably the same.

Will keep using it until I find something equally easy to use. I might write up a simple instruction if I get the time too.

Sample clip hardsubbed using StaxRip: http://youtu.be/bMWCCGinQv8

BTW, is downloading from YouTube really the best way for us to get our hands on the clips that we wish to hardsub? Isn't there any way to get the original files instead, at least for the movement's own material?

1 registered user and 75 guests thanked already.

laramide

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, June 1st 2012, 11:05pm

Hi fellows!! :smiley: I am on a struggle here!! I tried MEGUI, pocketdivxencoder, ad a few more softwares.
- Megui was too complicated.
- With pocketdivxencoder: I should share that I am trying to hardsub Arabic subtitles and it might be that I need fonts that workk with it. I downloaded many fonts but as I try them and apply a test something changes but it never gives me arabic characters.
- Laura shared moviesubtitler and it is the simplest thing. But the subs werent synch with the video. How can that be if we timeshifted them for that specific video on youtube?? ?(

What shall I do? this thing takes me hours!! But I do wish very much to find out if with embed subs we can increase the views on our videos, and that can be easily seen through comparing the Audience Retention n the Stats.

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

64 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 3:02pm

It worked with Staxmedia :D

Finally!! Staxmedia worked well. Thank you Anders :dance:

It is quite easy too. There are many features there but I didn't explore them much. The quality seems good and all in synch. I have a video on Youtube already. I will experiment to upload some hardsubbed copies of videos that are already in the Arabic channel and, with time, see if the viewers of those hardsubbed videos keep a higher audience retention. There are almost 40% of users that reach the videos through mobiles and it might be that they don't watch them for that reason. I will create a playlist in the same channel for the effect. I'll post the results of this experiment in the forum thread for that purpose in the PRGroup section: http://forum.linguisticteam.org/board1-t…ions-taskforce/

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 106 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman

Date of registration: Jan 16th 2014

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Thursday, January 16th 2014, 11:05am

An esay and free solution is now available with DVDx 4.1: http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/4.1/docs/burn-…es-in-video.php

67 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion